Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Cracked Windscreen :-(

sywy

Just picked up a crack in my windscreen. it's definitely a crack, and not a chip :-(

Can the likes of autoglass etc replace it? With the electronic mirror and rain sensor and all?

Or will I have to take it to the dealer? If so, can they do it through insurance, like the glass people do, with me just paying the excess?

This comes the day before I have to drive down to High Wycombe (100+ miles?) on the motorway, and I doubt I'll have time to get it fixed before then, as I guess they'll need to order a screen? I'm off to look for my insurance details now, and then ring autoglass to see what they say. Anyone got any advice or has already had this done?

Fortunatley not happened with my T180 but when it happened to my Golf GTI Autoglass came straight out and replaced it. They took the mirror / rain sensor (think there was something with the Sat Nav there too) etc off first and then re-attatched it - just a £50 excess to pay!

Usual glass places can do it.

There are many cases of cracked windows on R4W. I think it is down to the longer body twisting more. The windscreen really stiffens the body as it is bonded in. You may find the crack travels when you go out tomorrow but they don't drop out or anything scary!

Good luck

Usual glass places can do it.

There are many cases of cracked windows on R4W. I think it is down to the longer body twisting more. The windscreen really stiffens the body as it is bonded in. You may find the crack travels when you go out tomorrow but they don't drop out or anything scary!

Good luck

Crumbs - is this an inherent problem with the 5 door? Surely not?

Course, you could always try driving in reverse.....?

If Autoglass can't fix it with a shot of superglue, then the crack will eventually extend - but it won't implode on you!

OK. Thanks for the replies.

Have rung Autoglass, and they said they can do it no problem, although they will need to order the screen (1-2 days). However, I'm away most of next week, on a course, so will not have change to get it done. So will have to sort it out for the week after. I will keep a close eye on it.

BTW, it looks like a stone or something has hit it, whilst I was parked up in town. There is 5 or 6 small cracks in a star shape, the longest being abouch an inch.

Sorry to hear about your windscreen :(

Don't know if you remember but a while ago I had to have my windscreen replaced after a stone chip turned into a crack running up the length of the screen.

Autoglass did a great job then, sure they will do an equally super job for you :thumbsup:

Just don't watch the crack growing while you are driving along......it'll drive you crazy! :lol:

Sorry to here it too Simon.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on. Just wondering whether there is a difference in the screen "black dot" patterning up by the rain sensor, or whether it is just the same screen across the range. Mind you I can probably do a comparison with a few other RAVs soon :rolleyes:

The reason I'm interested:-

A few weeks ago, when we had very high winds and heavy rain, I had something small and sharp (no not a traffic warden :lol:) flicked up onto the screen. Didn't cause a crack in itself, but the wipers caught it and you can guess the rest. Didn't notice until the following morning, but there is now a nice arch long scratch on the screen, right across the driver's line of sight. Never had such a thing in 20+ years of driving. Still, could be worse.

It's not really noticeable while driving, but I bet it could be argued as an MOT failure for instance.

I have some stuff to polish it out (cerium oxide?), but in two minds whether to try it or leave it. I suspect it is too deep to be removed completely (or if at all), then there is the issue of polishing a laminated screen and/or causing a slight bit of optical distortion perhaps?

Don't really want to get the screen replaced just yet - I would if it was a necessity, such as a loss of strength due to a crack etc.

As far as I can see it doesn't seem to be the sort of thing the windscreen companies repair easily. Does anybody know different?

I may just leave it and replace the screen when it comes up to its first MOT (or before if necessary). There could be more chips in it by then :D. However, as somebody said to me at work - "if you have a go at fixing it first and make a mess of it, you'll still feel better about it, if you do have to get somebody to finally replace it".

Any thoughts from you knowledgeable bunch (yes I am crawling! :lol:)?

(no, it wasn't caused by crap Wiper Blades! :lol:).

Cheers :thumbsup:

Fairly sure they can polish scratches out.

Go to a jeweller - they'll advise you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links