Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloy Wheel Corrosion

DragonCruiser

We're on our third Toyota, Currently a Lc Colorado 2001 VX, previously two MR2 Roadsters ( Her indoors!)

Each Toyota we have had has problems with alloy wheels bubbling and flaking. The Colorado has now 3 wheels showing signs which is really bugging me.

I have had a V*%&hall before with 250000 miles and the alloys were pristine....

Any ideas? They are washed regularly, no chemical cleaner used, I actually Autoglym polish the wheels as the bodywork and then use the autoglym Alloy Wheel Seal as a finish....... Is this bad??

Any help appreciated :help:

I have always protected the wheels of my cars with polishes of various kinds.... as far as I am concerned if it can be used on the bodywork then it is OK on the wheels. I reckon corrosion is down to how the wheels are manufactured :unsure:

Most Toyota's have the problem, these are the ones on my Landcruiser, had to grind them with a drill and wire brush, then primer and some steel colour paint, came out not to bad but should have spent more time doing them.

15-03-07_1404.jpg

15-03-07_1643.jpg

Now that is what I call a superb transformation.... well done on the work Andy :thumbsup:

I'll be around on Monday for you to crack on Andy LOL

I'll perservere at the moment but may have to do the same in time.....

The only problem was that I didn't use Self Etch Primer, and it has started to bubble on one wheel.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I Have a 2002 Colorado D4d GX Auto. The alloys were replaced under warranty a 3yrs due to corrosion and blistering, but the replacements are going the same way, seems to be a Toyota fault on all models not just Land Cruiser. Another problem is black paint around top of door frames corroding and paint blistering again seems to be a common problem with Toyota.

Hi, I Have a 2002 Colorado D4d GX Auto. The alloys were replaced under warranty a 3yrs due to corrosion and blistering, but the replacements are going the same way, seems to be a Toyota fault on all models not just Land Cruiser. Another problem is black paint around top of door frames corroding and paint blistering again seems to be a common problem with Toyota.

Hi, When I purchased my Yaris with alloy wheels it was about 2.5 years old and there was quite a bit of bubbling and corrosion on all 4 wheels. Fortunately I was able to get them changed under warranty. The replacements are now about 18 months old and so far are looking pretty good. A friend informed me at the time of the replacement that the biggest factor in reducing corrosion is not to allow a build up of brake pad dust on the wheels (particularly front) as this dust interacts with the paint/alloy that is used on the wheels. There did seem to be truth in this as I had noticed that the corrosion was worse on one particular side of all the 'spokes' - where the dust build up tends to be at its worse. Not sure if it is helping but I do try to keep this dust to a minimum even at times when I am not actually cleaning the car.

Regards

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links