Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Low Engine Oil Light Comes On

alpacanick

My 91 reg MR2 T bar has the low oil warning light come on. the amber oil can with fluid underneath sign. this seemed to come on only after the car had a full service. Oil Plugs & filter etc by my local garage.

We have replaced the sensor in the head with a brand new toyota part the car has done just 115 thou does not sound rattly or have poor performance and the engine oil is at the correct level, Comes and goes mostly stays on. any ideas please.

Nick :(

Strange that the low oil level light should come on if you definitely have sufficient oil. Is the sensor for that really in the head - I'd have thought it would have to be somewhere near where the oil level normally sits. I could imagine the sensor for the other light (low oil pressure i.e. the one without the fluid underneath) being in the head. But that's just a guess.

I'd look at simulating what the sensor should do. If it has one wire it almost certainly goes to ground when the level is either correct or incorrect. So try taking the wire to ground or not to ground and presumably that will turn the light on and off (or vice versa). If it just stays on with the connector not earthed then I suspect you have a problem with the sensor wire having frayed and it's earthing itself somewhere causing a false alert.

HTH.

Let us know how you get on.

Strange that the low oil level light should come on if you definitely have sufficient oil. Is the sensor for that really in the head - I'd have thought it would have to be somewhere near where the oil level normally sits. I could imagine the sensor for the other light (low oil pressure i.e. the one without the fluid underneath) being in the head. But that's just a guess.

I'd look at simulating what the sensor should do. If it has one wire it almost certainly goes to ground when the level is either correct or incorrect. So try taking the wire to ground or not to ground and presumably that will turn the light on and off (or vice versa). If it just stays on with the connector not earthed then I suspect you have a problem with the sensor wire having frayed and it's earthing itself somewhere causing a false alert.

HTH.

Thanks for that will do.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

HTH.

Hi found out I was given duff info on this one, the sensor in the head is the oil pressure its the one in the sump that is the low engine oil light sensor so problem now solved.

Nick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links