Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towbar Buzzer And Mot

Hoovie

Got a towbar on my RAV4 with single (trailer) electrics.

Slight problem at the moment:

When the trailer is connected, no problems and the extra high-pitched buzzer that is fitted beeps when indicators are used as it should

When the trailer is NOT conencted, the buzzer still beeps when indicators are used (but sometimes does not - intermittant connection somewhere, I guess)

My question is - will the MOT fail the car if a trailer buzzer is active when no trailer fitted? If so, is there any reason why I cannot disconnect the buzzer so the indicators are fine, but if the indicators were used WITH a trailer fitted, there would be no trailer buzzer (ie if it were MOT tested like this)

I do intend to get the buzzer sorted - just haven't got round to it as it doesn't really matter that much (especially as the trailer only does about 3 miles each fortnight at the most)

No problem with the MOT - you are allowed audible devices anyway if for instance the repeater lights are hard to see.

The buzzer is designed to activate when it senses additional current of the trailer lights. When it buzzes is it always one side? If that is the case it could be caused by a poor connection to one of the lights which is causing a resistance.

It does tend to be one side, as it happens, but has been ok on both sides recently on occasion - and of course when it was first fitted was fine. Buzzer and trailer conenction is wired with scotchlocks which I know is not ideal.

One reason I haven't just gone in and applied a pair of pliers to each scotchlock connection is that I am a little confused why it is working WITH the trailer connected, but the buzzer comes on when not connected :huh:

So from what you are saying, maybe the buzzer coming on is actually not a fault on the buzzer/connections but is exposing a different problem with the indicators themselves? not something I had considered. Maybe some corrosion on the contacts on the lamps or contacts?

It could be the connections if they are poor enough to cause a resistance. You won't do any harm by checking/cleaning all the connections at the scotchlocks. The buzzer ignores the 3X21w but will activate when it senses the 4th at the trailer. So the odd time it senses a resistance it will buzz and when it senses the 4th bulb it will buzz as normal. Of course it isn't impossible for it to be the buzzer at fault but you could check the connections first.

Cheers - I'll do that :thumbsup: not bothered so far due to a combination of continuosly rubbish weather and sporadic laziness :)

After my last comment, I embarassed myself to go and have a look and it was a bad connection. Squeezed the scotchlocks and the buzzer now only works when trailer is connected :thumbsup:

Cheers, AM :)

There we are - nothing like a good squeeze sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the car for MOT on Wednesday and the buzzer only went and started to play up on the way there :ffs:

Passed the MOT without any problems though, anyway, so no worries in the end :)

Scotch locks should be banned :ban::ban::ban: They never were any good. Nothing beats a good hard wiring jobby :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I think you are right - I may have to get the iron out :g:

Scotch locks should be banned :ban::ban::ban: They never were any good. Nothing beats a good hard wiring jobby :eek:

Kingo :thumbsup:

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

In fact, I'm surprised the folk north of the border have not tried to have the name changed. It might be a trade name, but it's almost an insult to their impressive engineering heritage to be mistakenly associated with such a device.

I couldn't agree more with Kingo :thumbsup: well said sir.

Hoovie - you know what you have to do...... :D

Cheers

Blinkin typical - the word Scotch is mis-used fur tae use wi whisky and sticky tape.

Scottish is the word recognised.

Ya load o Engtch ignormoussesality

Next thing is we'll hae connectivityality and Olymicality losses of billions of pounds for what end|?? Dinna get me started olar ah'll never finishality.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links