Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Startup Problem On An Avensis Gs 1998

kotikeni

My Toyota started by jerking at low speeds (0-45 m/hr) but would run smooth above 60. After a week I drove it to a friend's place but would not start up again. The engine turns and begins to fire but dies down after 5 sec. It really sounds like its starved of fuel though there is more than enough to go around. I sent it to a local garage for diagnostics and it came up with codeB2799 -has to do with the immobiliser mulfunction. I tried using the other key and got the same results. Does any one know the possible causes of this failure code and possible remedies before the main dealer murders my wallet?

it's a 1998. Why pay main dealer prices?

If it's the immobiliser then there are plenty of independent auto electricial places that will do the job right for a fraction of the price.

Sorry I can't really add more to the problem .

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

My '98 Avensis 1.8 GS today developed exactly the same fault as you describe kotikeni, i would say it dies after about a second and a half, maybe two, happened as i was leaving for work, Rang RAC, who came quickly, he had about an hour and a half at it, but could not solve the prob, from the info he had on his screen in the cab, its maybe a fuel pressure flow sensor, but previous to that he thought it maybe had something to do with the keys, which ties in with a possible immobiliser mulfunction, we had to try both keys, with no luck, my garage said they could have a look at it this Thur's, your fault code may give them a head start, But the RAC guy who came to me did not plug any laptop, etc into the car, is there a socket for this at the top of the fuse box just to the lower left of the steering column?

Am going to ring RAC back tues, and ask if i can speak to the guy who came out, and give him your fault code to see if he can find out something, they ring round the other patrol men and also have a tech guy to ring back at base.

If you need to find out a fault code, i know the RAC will tell you if you get them out, Its worth it with a ten year old car, although i got RAC membership free with Tesco points, and they are good and more than helpfull, he even told me to ring back when i can get it into the workshop, and they will tow it there!

boro, agree totally with using independants, Main dealers are highly skilled at murdering your wallet!

Will get back when i know something, Cheers

Just found this-

Toyota Fault Codes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links