Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pulling A Fast One?

PaulGP

Had a bit of a strange experience today.

Was in Halfords buying a sat nav (see prev. thread sat nav). Halfway through the purchase as I was speaking to the manager this guy came butting in saying he had a few minutes previously purchased a tomtom for £199 in that store (as he had become lost in Weymouth) & on opening the box in his van there was everything in there except the actual sat nav unit itself.

After a little while - listening to the ensuing conversation / dispute, it became aware to all those in earshot that this guy was definitely trying it on - I spoke to 2 members of staff who were convinced he was pulling a fast one. From the guys actions I really thought the same (I know it's innocent until proven guilty). I don't know what the outcome was - I will ask when next in there - when I left they were still on the phone to the head office & in heated discussions.

Has anyone bought a tomtom (they come in sealed boxes) or any other make or model of electrical item & found it missing? I never have.

Am I being too hard on the guy - what do you think?

Bought a computer game (nintendo ds) from a seller on E-bay.. came in a sealed box.. everything in there except the game.

bought cds before with no CD in the case, but satnav surely thats a pretty heavy item not to notice almost straight away, tuff one.

SJx

a pretty heavy item not to notice almost straight away, tuff one.

If the person had never bought one, held one before then they might not know the difference. Person serving likewise or too busy to notice....

I think the only person who really knows what happened is the guy who had the empty box

I can see that person getting given a replacement unit regardless of what was or was not in the box....

Tbh thats a hard one to call - some people could be trying it on but then again how do you explain something like that without sounding suspicious? :unsure:

And it doesnt just happen with little things either -my dad bought a gas oven and a hob set for my gran's house two weeks ago - got the whole thing back to hers and opened the box - there was no hob! :blink:

Try explaining that to b&Q! Fortunately they were very good about it and gave him a hob when he went back up :thumbsup:

T x

I worked in shops for 11 years, all the way up to Manager level and I've seen all sorts!

It is a tricky one. It's truly a case of how the customer acts straight away, that gives you the idea if they're pulling a fast one and what they say. Not only that, but also how the remaining contents look. If some packets have been opened or cables untide.

The true tell tail sign would've been the memory card. I own a Tom Tom and the memory card came seperate in it's own case, so if the memory card was missing from his box as well, I'd say he was pulling a fast one.

i once bougth a cd from a shop, and when i opened the case there was no cd in it! luckey for some reason i opened the case before i went out of the shop, from that day on when i buy cd/dvd/games i check the case before i leave the shops.

I have brought a mobile phone through the catalogue's before and when it arrived boxed all sealed up there was no mobile in there :o

When i re ordered the replacement there was an empty box again :o

So i cancel and went to the vodaphone shop instead :lol:

jerry!!

My mate bought PES 5 and PES 2007 was in the case!

Was from the used section tho.

Yiz all should have been in the DryCleaning trade to see "Fast ones" :censor:

"This stain wasn't on my dress when I left it in" This a week after she had collected it & you only had to look at the thing & sniff the Armpits (NOT kinky :eek:) to know that she had had a ball in it & was looking for a free clean. Like wise "This was torn/ damaged etc etc.

I actually had a customer who brought back a silk blouse which she had collected 1 year previously "I have just taken this out of my wardrobe & look & the state of it " Answer - We have been in the business for 35+ years & didn't stay in business by letting things go out in that state. Go away ! Normally , all you did was grit your teeth, swallow your pride & give them a free redo. 99% of the time ithis would be from a customer you had never seen before :boxing:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links