Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Valve Adjustment On A 2000 Rav4.

Toyota-Dave

I have a couple of questions about removing the valve cover to adjust the valves.

I attempted to remove the valve cover by...

Removing the spark plugs and wires,

removing the 2 rubber hoses to the cover,

removing the throttle cable bracket attached to the intake manual,

removing 2 bolts at the top of the timing belt cover (also had to remove the Battery and batery holder to access the bolts)

After these steps, the cover still couldn't be lifted off because two other components were in the way...

1. The bracket between the left end of the cylinder head and the intake manifold.

2 The wiring harness on top of the right end of the cover.

(The above left and right are based on the driver orientation).

I stopped at this point because it seemed I must be doing something wrong because I couldn't imagine the design could be so poor.

Two questions:

1. Must all the wiring harness wires to the alternator, the diagnostic port, and the AC compressor be disconnected in order to move the harness far enough out of the way?

2. Must the bracket between the cylinder head and intake manifold be removed? If so, it seems that the throttle mechanism on the intake manual, and the ignition coils also must be removed.

I would think that there must be a trick to removing the valve cover without having to also remove all these other parts.

Answers to the 2 questions and any other tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Funny you should say that, was thinking about taking rocker cover off myself last night, I noticed that there are some large nuts around the top of the spark plug holes which no doubt have to come off to get the cover off, did you remove them?

Just a thought.... might be wrong as I imagine we have different engines.

Regards,

Rich

Guys, if you update your profiles to show the year of your Rav, and wether petrol or diesel, Anchorman or one of our

other techy experts should be able to help :thumbsup:

Rich,

The nuts on the spark plug tubes hold the valve cover on.

Yes, I did remove the nuts.

Dave

Dave

Sorry if it sounded a bit patronising, was just something that occurred to me that could be missed.

Did you manage to get it off in the end ?

Regards,

Rich

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links