Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4d 2.2 Problem?

Big Kev

Hi All At TOC,

New member problem. Just bought 2.2 D-4D (16K miles : Jan 2006 '55 Reg). When cold, and slightly less so once warmed up, I am hearing a distinct rattle when accelerating in 3rd gear at around 2200-2500 revs. Noise similar to a hydraulic tappet running dry, or extreme pre-ignition on previously owned lean-burn petrol Vauxhalls.

Has anyone any prior knowledge of causes? Otherwise really love car and TOC seems very worthwhile.

Big Kev.

New member problem. Just bought 2.2 D-4D (16K miles : Jan 2006 '55 Reg). When cold, and slightly less so once warmed up, I am hearing a distinct rattle when accelerating in 3rd gear at around 2200-2500 revs. Noise similar to a hydraulic tappet running dry, or extreme pre-ignition on previously owned lean-burn petrol Vauxhalls.

It does sound like an injector problem. My 2007 2.0 D-4D has just had all 4 injectors replaced - after 25000km. The symptom was a knocking sound, worst when cold at about the same revs as you describe. The reason is over-compensation on some injectors.

Have your Toyota dealer check "Injector compensation values", best done on cold engine.

BR, Thomas

It does sound like an injector problem. My 2007 2.0 D-4D has just had all 4 injectors replaced - after 25000km. The symptom was a knocking sound, worst when cold at about the same revs as you describe. The reason is over-compensation on some injectors.

Have your Toyota dealer check "Injector compensation values", best done on cold engine.

BR, Thomas

Thanks Thomas,

Reply greatly appreciated.

Kevin

Thanks Thomas,

Kevin

Can someone explain what injector compensation means ?

I have the same problem or summat similer on my t180. It seems to be between 1400-1800 rpm tho. The car did it whilst a toyota tech was diagnosing a gearbox problem i had. He then got into anotther avensis t180 and that did the same. Since i have drove a lot of other 2.2 d4d and they all do it. It sounds almost like pinging. The car first started doing it at around 3000 miles its now on 9050 miles and its no better but its not got anyworse. I'm certain tho when i had the car at 2000 miles it never did it.

Thanks Thomas,

Kevin

hello mate

it means that diesel is being "poured" into the cylinder but not injected under P=constant as per comon rail nature.

Each fuel valve must to inject diesel sharply giving no any leaks/diesel drops on the nozzle edge.

you hear rattle noise because of violation of ration (air/diesel). have removed and tested all four injectors first and you'll be lucky when feel good acceleration after test/changing. cheers/igor

Thanks Thomas,

Kevin

hello mate

it means that diesel is being "poured" into the cylinder but not injected under P=constant as per comon rail nature.

Each fuel valve must to inject diesel sharply giving no any leaks/diesel drops on the nozzle edge.

you hear rattle noise because of violation of ration (air/diesel). have removed and tested all four injectors first and you'll be lucky when feel good acceleration after test/changing. cheers/igor

Superb explanation Igor. Will now book in for investigation at MrT's tech house.

Kevin :

• 2 weeks later...

BR, Thomas

Hi Thomas, thanks again for info.....Mr.T to replace all 4 injectors under warranty. I owe you some of my country's national product !!! :lol:

Thanks Thomas,

Kevin

hello mate

Superb explanation Igor. Will now book in for investigation at MrT's tech house.

Kevin :

Many thanks Igor...Mr T replacing all 4 injectors under warranty. I owe you a whisky or five!!!!!!!

Regards, Kevin.

Thanks Thomas,

Kevin

hello mate

Kevin :

Many thanks Igor...Mr T replacing all 4 injectors under warranty. I owe you a whisky or five!!!!!!!

Regards, Kevin.

hi Friend !!!

i am happy you've got a success.

i am here, if any

cheers :toast:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links