Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Beauty Contest

cabsandy

Ok,

It's time for the Bridgestone's to go on my XT-R (all 4 at the same time) so I've been researching through the forums and here's my list (in no order).This may also help for others when searching for replacements. I'm not too worried about price-looking to get them delivered and my budget is approx £100 per tyre.

My list is :

Toyo Tranpaths

Goodyear Wrangler All Weather M+S

Pirelli Scorpian STR

General Grabber UHP

I have looked at the list of online retailers such as http://www.blackcircles.com , http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/ (is it just me or is this a wind up with a name like that?) and http://www.mytyres.co.uk .

The Bridgestone's seem not to get too good a review and the Toyo's have a split as well.The main points I'm looking for is quiet road noise and good in the wet (I live in Scotland but do a fair bit of motorway driving). Off road doesn't really come into it. So please chip in and let me know what you think/have experience of.And any others you think would do the job, let me know

cheers

cab

Had the Pirelli Scorpians on my old X3 and they were all right! :thumbsup: Definately consider them myself when my Bridgestones fade to nothing! :lol::lol:

Is there not a wider range, if you aren'tl looking for a tyre with any sort of off-road ability??

Plus, what speed are you running them up to?

Strikes me you'd be better off with other options.

Ok,

It's time for the Bridgestone's to go on my XT-R (all 4 at the same time) so I've been researching through the forums and here's my list (in no order).This may also help for others when searching for replacements. I'm not too worried about price-looking to get them delivered and my budget is approx £100 per tyre.

My list is :

Toyo Tranpaths

Pirelli Scorpian STR

General Grabber UHP

I have looked at the list of online retailers such as http://www.blackcircles.com , http://www.pneus-online.co.uk/ (is it just me or is this a wind up with a name like that?) and http://www.mytyres.co.uk .

The Bridgestone's seem not to get too good a review and the Toyo's have a split as well.The main points I'm looking for is quiet road noise and good in the wet (I live in Scotland but do a fair bit of motorway driving). Off road doesn't really come into it. So please chip in and let me know what you think/have experience of.And any others you think would do the job, let me know

cheers

cab

Hi

Do you have an unused spare on an alloy ? I would consider rotating this one , the rubber deteriorates if left too long.

Regards

llith

Chaps,

Thanks for the reply-for Bothy, I was through there (Bothwell) this morning.Lovely weather :thumbsup: I work about 1/2 mile up the road.

To answer some of the questions-very little off road, max speed 80-90mph.

I'll check the spare tonight but all 4 are in need of replacement.It's come at a good time as I was up at the dealers today as I have the bubbling alloy problem I had on my Celica. All the wheels are being replaced under warranty and I'm going to get 4 new tyres, take them in the back of the RAV and get the wheels and tyres changed at the same time ;)

Anybody else got any names I should be looking at? I'm gravitating towards the General Tire Grabber UHP at the moment

cheers

cab

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Just like to give something back-I went ahead and bough the General Grabber UHP 235/60/16'S from black circles.£305 delivered for 4 and next day as well. Had them on for about 400 miles now (urban and motorway). Grip seems really good in wet or dry and the noise seems to have decreased-it's not got any worse from the days of the Bridgestones.

Had them fitted by the dealer as I managed to get a new set of wheels under warranty, due to the infamous "bubbling".So new tyres and new wheels-sorted! :lol:

Thanks for info :thumbsup:

And at a nice price :yahoo:

Will bare that in mind when my tyres have run out of rubber :lol:

Ok,

My list is :

Toyo Tranpaths

Pirelli Scorpian STR

General Grabber UHP

cheers

cab

Pneus is Portuguese for tyres.

You learn something every day!

:huh: Football fans can have a field day with this. "Scolari is a tyre" etc., etc., :lol::lol::lol:

Oberegada :thumbsup: (will have to use that one to wind up my portugese friends)

Oberegada :thumbsup: (will have to use that one to wind up my portugese friends)

Or would that be obrigado.....

We'd better understand "vencedor", too.... Am off there soon, can't wait :clap:

Or would that be obrigado.....

We'd better understand "vencedor", too.... Am off there soon, can't wait :clap:

If you want there's a lot better/worse than pneus and oberegada (lol), although Robert is right it's quite possible that you will have to get used to Vencedor!!

As far as Scolari is concern I hope it's "vencido" :lol::lol::lol:

I have now idea what you lot are all on about :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Scolari Chelsea or Scolari Portugal?

Well he's left Portugal already! :angry: With his double standard's that players can't talk to their agents but he can take time out to speak to Roman MegaMillions :eek:

So that only leaves Scolari Chel- :censor: -sea vencido! :lol::lol:

Scolari Chelsea or Scolari Portugal?

Well he's left Portugal already! :angry: With his double standard's that players can't talk to their agents but he can take time out to speak to Roman MegaMillions :eek:

So that only leaves Scolari Chel- :censor: -sea vencido! :lol::lol:

You can probably count the amount of people (in general) that still have any sort of principle on one hand. Portuguese people never really liked Scolari anyway, the fact that you pay a foreign coach double the money you'd pay a Portuguese coach upset many people, then again look what happened when England chose Mclaren!! Who cares anyway lol lol

Back on Topic :lol::lol:

A little news.....and as per usual it'll cost :crybaby:

"Tyre prices rise as economy struggles

17 June 2008

Bridgestone announces price hike

• Weak pound means UK rises are higher

• Costs up as price of raw materials soars

Along with Britain's struggling economy, now there's another impact on motorists - tyres are costing more.

The weak pound has prompted tyre giant Bridgestone to raise prices in Britain more steeply than in Continental Europe as it fights rising import costs.

Bridgestone, which is the world's biggest tyre manufacturer, has announced it will raise prices of tyres across Europe for the second time in months, blaming rapidly rising commodity prices.

A spokesman said the prices of key commodities used in manufacturing tyres, including oil, natural rubber and steel, had risen sharply.

British drivers face price hikes of 8-12%, compared with the 5-8% increase for their counterparts on the Continent.

Michelin has increased the price of its tyres in Europe by about 5% in recent weeks."

• 4 weeks later...
Update

Just like to give something back-I went ahead and bough the General Grabber UHP 235/60/16'S from black circles.£305 delivered for 4 and next day as well. Had them on for about 400 miles now (urban and motorway). Grip seems really good in wet or dry and the noise seems to have decreased-it's not got any worse from the days of the Bridgestones.

Had them fitted by the dealer as I managed to get a new set of wheels under warranty, due to the infamous "bubbling".So new tyres and new wheels-sorted! :lol:

Hey Andy :)

Looking for new tyres very soon and the General Grabber seem to be one of the best priced ones, so good news of the feedback :thumbsup:

The General Grabber tyres all seem to have white raised lettering - is that also true of the UHP? hard to tell if it is or not from pics on the interweb.

Update

Hey Andy :)

Looking for new tyres very soon and the General Grabber seem to be one of the best priced ones, so good news of the feedback :thumbsup:

The General Grabber tyres all seem to have white raised lettering - is that also true of the UHP? hard to tell if it is or not from pics on the interweb.

Hoovie...No the UHP one's do not have white lettering on them...(I was thinking about painting mine though ;) ;) )

Good tyre and in the recent down pours we've had, they proved brilliant in the wet....

Tyre.jpg

Thanks, chatman :thumbsup:

I think I will go for these :yes: - it was coming up between a choice of Continentals - which I have always rated before and transformed my Nissan 200SX and these Grabbers. The Grabbers 'look' better for a car like the RAV4 I reckon and have some excellent reviews.

Also found that blackcircle can supply a set of 4 for under £300, which is pretty damn good (add in about £20 for fitting, etc).

Seeing as the wifes Punto now got a smart new set of boots all round, I can't have the RAV missing out ;)

out of interest, what sort of mileage did you get out the old tyres? my RAV4 is now 3 years and 30,000 miles old and original tyres are on 3mm (the 1.6mm UK limit is a bit low IMO :unsure: )

Just out of interest, there are two tyre sizes listed for the Rav4.2 - 215/70R16 and 235/60R16 - are they interchangeable ie is it the same rim, regardless of tyre size (I realise the tyre sizes shouldn't be mixed)

My better half's Rav4.2 has the 215s on it

Just out of interest, there are two tyre sizes listed for the Rav4.2 - 215/70R16 and 235/60R16 - are they interchangeable ie is it the same rim, regardless of tyre size (I realise the tyre sizes shouldn't be mixed)

My better half's Rav4.2 has the 215s on it

Mine has the 235 size..I would say most UK RAV's would have the 235 size....

The rolling diameter is within a 1/5th of a percent, so in that respect they are interchangable for gearing, speedo, odometer, etc, I would say.

Wheel Rim width size, somewhere on the wheel there should be a size and a profile - shown as 'size-profile' - I would guess the RAV4 has a 6J or 6JJ wheel, meaning 6" wide flange to flange (I think that is how it works) and there will be a max and min tyre width that will work, as you would guess. Just had a look at one of my wheels and can't see the J value - maybe on inner side of rim or even in wheel well??

Here is a handy site that may give the answer? http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg2.html - go down to "An ideal rim-width calculator" section (this says RAV wheel should be between 6.5" and 8" so my guess is probably out :) )

and I just came across this little list on RAV4 World - http://rav4world.com/index/tirelist.html

Oh - and looking at the towbar info (tentative link of info!), it seems that the 4x4 RAVs have 235/60 R16 tyres and the 4x2 RAVs have 216/70 R16 Tyres, which would tie in with the BHs Luna

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links