Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem: Won't Past 3k Rpm. Any Help?

TTPrince

I have an '87 turbo automatic. Ever since I got the car I have never been able to enjoy it's full potential because of this annoying mechanical problem because I do not have the experience to remedy it:

When I full gas the car will not push itself with noticable torque, at all. Rather, it will rattle, discharge bad odour and black smoke in the exhaust, and continue so, if kept pushing. (this happens less now, maybe 'cuz I know to avoid it). If I let off the gas and gas much less then the car will move but slowly and gradually, this was the only way to drive it, there was no way going fast with this one. On highways it was slow to reach appropriate speeds - very annoying!

I think these are worth mentioning:

-I have an aftermarket cat converter, not Toyota's.

-The head gaskets came with the replacement engine with 170KM on it. Now:230KM.

-One of my RX7 fanatic friend told me my turbo was leaking.

I'm thinking of making a monster out of this ride with a 5-speed (maybe getrag?) 1jz, after I got this problem solved.

Thanks

TT

Are there any other modifications?? Do you have an aftermarket BOV? Are you registering boost?

Sounds like its overfueling on a massive scale, likely cause is leaking metered air, or an airflow meter problem.

Check the boost hoses, specificly the first one that leaves the turbo and runs down. They tend to split at the top and are hard to spot at a glance.

Are there any other modifications?? Do you have an aftermarket BOV? Are you registering boost?

Sounds like its overfueling on a massive scale, likely cause is leaking metered air, or an airflow meter problem.

Check the boost hoses, specificly the first one that leaves the turbo and runs down. They tend to split at the top and are hard to spot at a glance.

There are no modifications done on this car - all stock, for now. One thing I forgot to mention is that this problem only occurs when the car is set in D (drive), but in N (neutral) it revs normally up to redline with ease.

As for the aftermarket BOV, I do not have a blow off valve at the moment, I hear the turbo working when it's sucking air in, but no sound. The boost meter does seem to work normally when it should. I will definitely keep these things in mind when I get my auto mechanic friend to check it out because I'm kinda car illiterate (trying to learn) =(.

Are there any other possible solutions I should keep an eye for?

• 3 weeks later...

The only things that I can think of are;

Speed sensors, are they conected?

There is the knock sensor connector under the inlet manifold which causes a similar problem if the single small female spade connector has come loose (you'll need a mirror and slim hands and nine inch fingers to get it back on, it looks like an oil pressure switch)

Then there is the waste gate actuator. This could be malfunctioning and it is a bugger to get to. You will have to remove the turbo (at least a two hour job, took me two weekends cause I don't have agarage).

Check these as they are straight forward. Get a copy of the online workshop manual from:

http://www.supras.org.nz/techinfo/

Hope this helps

Michael

• 1 month later...

sounds like a afm fault to me! i think?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links