Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Pads (dust Free ?)

den9112

I have had my rav for 18 months now and prior to fitting new brake pads i have never had brake dust on my alloys . My pads were not mega expensive and i just went for the cheaper option as i wanted to buy decent parts ie shocks ,control arm for the MOT , and now i think i have made a mistake , and i want to purchase a set of pads like my old ones that never gave me any dust problems . Could any one please advice , Rav is a mk1 1996 . Thanks

Just done a search again and have found out that the toyota oem are the way to go .

anchorman and various other Englishmen would tell you that the Toyota pad is by far the best.

Me? Well, the calipers on the older RAVs of which I have some littel experience are frankly crip. No up tae the job an destroy the T discs sumpthin rotten. Pads are ok - its the rest thats not so robust.

Which is why I spent a lot of money to change the front brakes out totally - but then I'm running up towards 300bhp so the originals were no use onyway. Even with the 127bhp, I found them lacking, but I pinned it down to the calipers mainly, having tried a variety of Toyota discs; EBC, Rotordiscs; and another which i can't remember - its just the design is cheap.(of the caliper) I think this design has been around for a lot of years and they relied on the pad material to keep the brakes effective. The disc material on the older RAVs was both poor and too thin even from the day of manufacture. It didn't take much wear to make the discs u/s or warped. I don't think I ever had another car with as many disc replacement needs! Anyway with the KAD brakes, they are bldy good; extremely effective; and will stop the machine from high speed without fade; overheating; or warpage. Great. However, unless yer goin tae use the car fur sprints or rallies, then its a bit expensive! Then again, my only worry now is whether the eeejit behind can stop as quickly as I can!!

Which is why I spent a lot of money to change the front brakes out totally - but then I'm running up towards 300bhp so the originals were no use onyway. Even with the 127bhp
Why does the power output of your engine effect your brakes? Isn't it just the speed you are travelling, weight of the car, brake disc size/material, brake pad size/material, the condition of the road surface and tyres that determines how quickly you can stop?

Isn't it just the speed you are travelling, weight of the car, brake disc size/material, brake pad size/material, the condition of the road surface and tyres that determines how quickly you can stop?

And if it's an automatic or manual.

I had my 4.2 about 20 months and never used alloy wheel cleaner once. Toyota OEM pads are definitely the way to go :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links