Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ime For A Change

mbrennan29

Hi All,

I currently have an Auris 1.6 T-Spirit and have had it from new.

Last week I had a bit of a mad half hour and went into my local Mr T and did a deal on an 07 ex demo T180. I pick it up on Friday.

I'm after any comments/reviews, good or bad from current T180 owners. Have i made a good choice???

You will love the engine, it really is a great diesel engine. One warmed through, at idle it can be so smooth if you're stuck in traffic. Sometimes with a diesel once moving you'd never know what fuel was making the engine turn, but once stationary your average diesel is pretty obvious. With the 2.2 Toyota/Lexus unit, it really is one of the better ones out there.

As you'll be taking ownership of one of the earlier T180's just out of curiosity ask if all those little things that Toyota have released as "Fixes should the customer notice and complain" have been carried out.

I hope you enjoy your T180 and it would be great to see the photo's once it's in your posession.

p.s. Having owned both a T180 and SR180, each has it's advantages over the other. The T180 for it's equipment and the SR180 for it's handling. But both can really leave you with a huge grin on your face when you put your foot down in third gear! :)

You will love the engine, it really is a great diesel engine. One warmed through, at idle it can be so smooth if you're stuck in traffic. Sometimes with a diesel once moving you'd never know what fuel was making the engine turn, but once stationary your average diesel is pretty obvious. With the 2.2 Toyota/Lexus unit, it really is one of the better ones out there.

As you'll be taking ownership of one of the earlier T180's just out of curiosity ask if all those little things that Toyota have released as "Fixes should the customer notice and complain" have been carried out.

I hope you enjoy your T180 and it would be great to see the photo's once it's in your posession.

p.s. Having owned both a T180 and SR180, each has it's advantages over the other. The T180 for it's equipment and the SR180 for it's handling. But both can really leave you with a huge grin on your face when you put your foot down in third gear! :)

Hi mate, thaks for you reply. I took it out for a test drive last week but didn't give it a full right foot due to the salesman being with me and the traffic being quite busy.

I will be making sure that any known problems ie squeeky brakes have been addressed when i collect it on friday.

It has some TTE parts fitted to it so looks pretty nice, pics to follow once i collect it.

Hi mate, thaks for you reply. I took it out for a test drive last week but didn't give it a full right foot due to the salesman being with me and the traffic being quite busy.

I will be making sure that any known problems ie squeeky brakes have been addressed when i collect it on friday.

It has some TTE parts fitted to it so looks pretty nice, pics to follow once i collect it.

Good choice especially if there are TTE parts. Being the T180, you will get more kit standard (smart entry/sunroof) but with your TTE parts, thats an extra bonus.

I think you need to have a clear expectation of your T180, one that isn't purely based on performance. But as an all round car thats comfy and quick with all the kit that you could wish for. Treat it like a rapid cruiser and you will be happy, treat it like a hot hatch then you wont be.

My 2 penny!

Good choice especially if there are TTE parts. Being the T180, you will get more kit standard (smart entry/sunroof) but with your TTE parts, thats an extra bonus.

I think you need to have a clear expectation of your T180, one that isn't purely based on performance. But as an all round car thats comfy and quick with all the kit that you could wish for. Treat it like a rapid cruiser and you will be happy, treat it like a hot hatch then you wont be.

My 2 penny!

Yeah i know what you mean. I know its not a hot hatch per se. I was more than impressed with the performance when i drove it and as i said previously i wasnt giving it the full monty due to the salesman being with me and traffic was quite heavy. I'm sure ill be very happy with it, wanted one from day 1 but couldnt stretch to the cost when i bought the T-Spirit.

Thanks for the reply

love mine

so different from the t-sport and the supercharged one from before. A welcome change, for me anyway.

Proved to be REALLY cheap.... to insure, service and even tax over the last year for me.

As said, really great engine, just turn off traction control and you wont get acceleration lag in first, but only do that when dry. The restriction in power with traction on IS a safety feature, esp. for wet. This is toyota after all.

No problems at all, very comfy ride but as said, no screaming engine, handling not hot hatch sharp as its not lowered and has softer springs which are much better for comfort which is more important to me that doing 60mph round a tight bend. Also i've scraper the bottom of my front nose bumper on quite a few cubs.

You will also find it just as quick in gear as a hot hatch and quicker than most things you see daily. As quick as octavia VRS, GTI, TS and even a stock Type R in gear up hill couldn't gain on me.

Through the gears in a race from 0 probably not but who does that.

You'll love it. Feed it Shell though :)

love mine

so different from the t-sport and the supercharged one from before. A welcome change, for me anyway.

Proved to be REALLY cheap.... to insure, service and even tax over the last year for me.

As said, really great engine, just turn off traction control and you wont get acceleration lag in first, but only do that when dry. The restriction in power with traction on IS a safety feature, esp. for wet. This is toyota after all.

No problems at all, very comfy ride but as said, no screaming engine, handling not hot hatch sharp as its not lowered and has softer springs which are much better for comfort which is more important to me that doing 60mph round a tight bend. Also i've scraper the bottom of my front nose bumper on quite a few cubs.

You will also find it just as quick in gear as a hot hatch and quicker than most things you see daily. As quick as octavia VRS, GTI, TS and even a stock Type R in gear up hill couldn't gain on me.

Through the gears in a race from 0 probably not but who does that.

You'll love it. Feed it shell though :)

Agree!

But i was rather disgruntled when a BMW 120d out dragged me joining the M25. He pulled a meter per second away from me through the gears!

But looking at the spec of the 120d, it is faster on paper.

Still, the T180 is rapid enough and frugal/quiet/comfy... Couldn;t ask for more and plus its a TOYOTA. :thumbsup:

Well I picker her up this morning.

I am totally over the moon with her, it is an awesome piece of machinery. I didn't quite realise what a good deal i was getting untill i had a chance to have a proper look over it this morning. It has TTE front skirt, TTE side skirts, TTE roof spoiler, sat nav, and i think (pretty sure) its also got TTE lowering springs on it. The salesman didnt know but the reason i think so is because it was parked next to a demo sr180 (which have tte springs as standard unless im mistaken??) and it looked to me and the missus to have the same amount of clearance between the tyres and wheel arches as the sr180. I couldnt be happier. Performance is ace i just love everything about it, its a totally different car from my T-Spirit.

Pics to follow when I'm on my days off from work. off to bed now as i finished late.

One more than happy T180 owner

great - another pleased x180 owner!

:)

best to find out about the springs for your insurance

yes the sr180 has lower springs than the t180; so sounds like it does have the TTE springs. But also note that the t180 is lower than the standard models too.

Well I picker her up this morning.

I am totally over the moon with her, it is an awesome piece of machinery. I didn't quite realise what a good deal i was getting untill i had a chance to have a proper look over it this morning. It has TTE front skirt, TTE side skirts, TTE roof spoiler, sat nav, and i think (pretty sure) its also got TTE lowering springs on it. The salesman didnt know but the reason i think so is because it was parked next to a demo sr180 (which have tte springs as standard unless im mistaken??) and it looked to me and the missus to have the same amount of clearance between the tyres and wheel arches as the sr180. I couldnt be happier. Performance is ace i just love everything about it, its a totally different car from my T-Spirit.

Pics to follow when I'm on my days off from work. off to bed now as i finished late.

One more than happy T180 owner

Yet another SR/T180 owner - you'll have fun.

I have the same TMS body kit as well and found painted mudflaps finish the look off if you don't want to commit to the rear skirt.

Toyota salesmen never cease to amaze me. When I tried to sell my old T-Sport with TTE lowering springs to them, they said we can't take it because you have fitted the springs and so it is non-standard and that could cause the next customer a problem with insurance, if you put the standard ones back on at your cost we'll have it. And yet they were quite happy to sell you a modified one even though they were not quite sure of the accessories fitted, and ofcourse they were happy to sell the springs to me!

Hi Guys,

Pics of my car as promised, having soooooo much fun with it.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

looks v.nice even though small pics

i wish i'd had sat nav in mine - putting in leather for a grand would have really finished mine off

whats your economy considering there are SO many people complaining about it.

how do you rate performance too?

Very nice car in black. Be even better when you take off the D4D badges. I did. I,ve got the front and rear spoilers but not the skirts. Fitted mud flaps and drilled pedals. Waiting for the front Jap emblem from PK.

i wish i'd had sat nav in mine - putting in leather for a grand would have really finished mine off

Redone the pics so theyre bigger.

Don't know why people are complaining about economy, if you drive it right its easy to achieve quoted figures. At the minute im averaging around 38-40mpg but im finding it so so dificult to keep my foot out of the carpet!! If i drive as I am trained through work then stated mpg is easily achieved.

performance wise i think its awesome. Obviously there are far quicker cars out there that will wipe the floor with it from standstill but i think once its rolling there a quite a few hot hatches that would struggle to keep up with it. My cousin is a die hard Type R owner. He gave me loads of stick when i took it round saying it was rubbish, 8 secs to 60 etc etc. I let him have a go and whilst he wasn't impressed by its straight line acceleration he had to bow down and admit it ate his Type R alive mid range.

yes i removed all the excess badges from the back too.

4 badges make it look like it should be in the dakar rally.

Very nice car in black. Be even better when you take off the D4D badges. I did. I,ve got the front and rear spoilers but not the skirts. Fitted mud flaps and drilled pedals. Waiting for the front Jap emblem from PK.

Are drilled pedals easy enough to fit?

Am considering getting some of these as i think they would look really good.

Don't know why people are complaining about economy, if you drive it right its easy to achieve quoted figures. At the minute im averaging around 38-40mpg but im finding it so so dificult to keep my foot out of the carpet!! If i drive as I am trained through work then stated mpg is easily achieved.

performance wise i think its awesome. Obviously there are far quicker cars out there that will wipe the floor with it from standstill but i think once its rolling there a quite a few hot hatches that would struggle to keep up with it. My cousin is a die hard Type R owner. He gave me loads of stick when i took it round saying it was rubbish, 8 secs to 60 etc etc. I let him have a go and whilst he wasn't impressed by its straight line acceleration he had to bow down and admit it ate his Type R alive mid range.

Looks just like mine :)

Die hard petrol heads especially those who have the most hardcore of hatches - the type-r would defiantly turn up their noses at a diesel.

I did drive the t-sport then the supercharged t-sport and i felt like a boy racer everytime i made progress on the hard ride. It wasn't too good filling up every 300 odd miles either. It was fun though.

Part of the reason i bought the t180 was its much more usuable real world performance - i.e. that mid range.

95% of the time i'm doing 40 or 50mph in traffic but with 400nm of torque instantly available at cruising speed i can overtake or drive with ease and without feeling like a revvy fool.

My Pedals

Looks just like mine :)

Die hard petrol heads especially those who have the most hardcore of hatches - the type-r would defiantly turn up their noses at a diesel.

I did drive the t-sport then the supercharged t-sport and i felt like a boy racer everytime i made progress on the hard ride. It wasn't too good filling up every 300 odd miles either. It was fun though.

Part of the reason i bought the t180 was its much more usuable real world performance - i.e. that mid range.

95% of the time i'm doing 40 or 50mph in traffic but with 400nm of torque instantly available at cruising speed i can overtake or drive with ease and without feeling like a revvy fool.

Agree with you there.

A few years back I would have turned my nose up at diesels too and gone for the Type R, i must be getting old now though as screaming down the road with my engine buzzing at 9000rpm doenst do anything for me. Just shouts out to be pulled by the police!

I think the T180 looks totally understated aswell, great car in my opinion.

Pedals are pretty easy to fit though there is not much room for a regular drill, I found my electric screwdriver with a drill bit worked best.

Looked at your pics and am not convinced the TMS springs are fitted. Seems like T180 springs which are 10mm lower than standard.

If you want to destroy your cousin's Type R there are a fair few simple-to-fit diesel tuning boxes about that take the 175bhp up to 213.5bhp, but remember to tell your insurance if you do. Supposed to give better fuel economy when driven normally as well if you need an excuse to buy....

i would have fitted a tuning box by now if i thought they coped well with the t180's injection system

Apparently theres no official or properly long term tested tuning box yet. The t180 isn't a simple engine to chip. Yes they will work and when they do they are insane (apparently) but people are unsure of the long term effect on the injection system, over fuelling and people are concerned about the EGR replacements needed on some chipped t180 avensis i have read about.

All chips can put extra stress on the engine etc but the t180 seems to be one engine where over fuelling might do more damage than some other cars could.

Dont quote me - this is just what i have interpreted and the toyota guy frin wrexham here who said chips were coming hasn't said anything for ages.

I am interested in chipping in the future but at the minute like oldskool says untill a reliable long term tested chip arrives that isn't going to cause any damage to my engine i will wait patiently.

I am interested in chipping in the future but at the minute like oldskool says untill a reliable long term tested chip arrives that isn't going to cause any damage to my engine i will wait patiently.

Its a sensible attitude though if you are going to wait until a reliable long term tested chip arrives it is unlikely that you will ever buy one. There is a guy from Holland that has had one fitted for a while, other than that you will have to listen to what issues if any Avensis owners have had and even then it is difficult to determine if it is down to the chip and ofcourse there are lots of them out there working slightly differently. Dieseltuner at Hull have two types for the 2.2 d-cat and one of the guys there did have a Lexus 220d with one fitted, he may shine some light one way or another.

As far as the EGR is concerned I was under the impression that it is only active during cruise, and not tick-over or when you boot it.

Anyway, get use to the power you do have for now.

Quick Question....

I was browsing the owners manual this evening reading how to use the compressor in the event of a puncture. All seems very simple however one thing i didnt notice in the manual. May be me being dumb but it doesnt mention the need to replace the tyre once you use the tyre repair gel. Does this mean it repairs the puncture and the tyre is ok to continue using as normal, or am i right in thinking that the repair gel is a temporary fix untill you get a new tyre? I always thought this was the case if you used any sort of tyre sealant available but i just find it strange that there is no mention of needing to replace the tyre in the handbook.

Any ideas??

Also anyone know roughly the cost of new rubber????

Cheers guys

Mark

Replaced originals with Goodyear F1 Eagle Asymetrics in '94Y high loads' rating. £102.85 each fitted at my local family owned outlet.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links