Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Is Best 1.8 P. Or 2.0 D.

davegooner7

i am about to buy a 2005 avensis, i will be using the car as a taxi doing about 35000 miles a year city driving. my question is which is the best to buy a 1.8 petrol or a 2.0 diesel, with there being a 10 cent difference between diesel and petrol and the 1.8 being cheaper. also taking into account reliability which is best i cant make up my mind

please help

Dave

I'd heard that the clutch on the petrol is lot lighter. Saying that I love my diesel. :)

thanks for info

I'd heard that the clutch on the petrol is lot lighter. Saying that I love my diesel. :)

thanks for info

I heard this from a local taxi driver. Says a load of them went for petrol because of it. You get used to it.

04 vehicles are now starting to appear for NCT so we are seeing more private vehicles now as well as Taxis. Petrol & Diesel alike they have very few faults mainly anti roll bar links & bushes & thats about it. You have the general wear & tear item like tyres, brake pads & blown bulbs not much else shows up for faults. Petrol vehicles fail on CO & Lambda ( pricey if new Cat required ) now & again. Full tank on a diesel is around €65 to €70 but it will do 50 odd to the gallon & more on a long steady run. Range display on my diesel shows 530 odd miles when brimmed to the very top, you could knock 40 off that if you don't believe the display. But I get nearly 2 weeks driving out of car between fills. Talking to the Taxi lads when in for annual test they are pretty much split down the middle. If you prefer the VVTi you have no cambelt to worry about at 60,000 mile service. If your going purely on reliability then I would say it's 50/50. I'd ask do I prefer driving a Diesel or Petrol engine car ? Just one major problem I have with the car is that the dipped beam lights are complete crap, but being Country I use main beam when able. Not so much of a problem for city driving. Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Just one side issue, Toyota do not make cars the way they used to. They still are very good the modern models, but I recently tested a carina with 250.000 plus miles on the clock & it sailed through test. Not so sure if vehicles made today will be up to that standard.

04 vehicles are now starting to appear for NCT so we are seeing more private vehicles now as well as Taxis. Petrol & Diesel alike they have very few faults mainly anti roll bar links & bushes & thats about it. You have the general wear & tear item like tyres, brake pads & blown bulbs not much else shows up for faults. Petrol vehicles fail on CO & Lambda ( pricey if new Cat required ) now & again. Full tank on a diesel is around €65 to €70 but it will do 50 odd to the gallon & more on a long steady run. Range display on my diesel shows 530 odd miles when brimmed to the very top, you could knock 40 off that if you don't believe the display. But I get nearly 2 weeks driving out of car between fills. Talking to the Taxi lads when in for annual test they are pretty much split down the middle. If you prefer the VVTi you have no cambelt to worry about at 60,000 mile service. If your going purely on reliability then I would say it's 50/50. I'd ask do I prefer driving a Diesel or Petrol engine car ? Just one major problem I have with the car is that the dipped beam lights are complete crap, but being Country I use main beam when able. Not so much of a problem for city driving. Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Just one side issue, Toyota do not make cars the way they used to. They still are very good the modern models, but I recently tested a carina with 250.000 plus miles on the clock & it sailed through test. Not so sure if vehicles made today will be up to that standard.

super info thanks very much

im using a 2005 D4D as a dublin taxi at the moment.

the clutch is very heavy, especially in dublin traffic!

why ohh ehy couldnt toyota put an autobox in the diesel car????

i was out working last sat night and ran the tank right down to 18 miles range left and it cost me 67 euro to fill up in tesco and that wa including their 5c off per litre!

i put in 49 litres, and my range tank said 385 miles which i though was a little low to be honest!

great car for the taxi trade, loads of room, adequate power, not a lot but adequate and comfy too.

if i could make some sort of hybrid it would be a 2004 shape camry with the D4D engine and an auto box LOL

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links