Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Decelerating Speed

Notebook

Hi

4.2 2005 petrol

Have just purchased the vehicle, and had been driving an automatic for 7 years previous.

When i am on the motorway - say doing 70 and I lift my foot off the accelerator, there is a noticable deceleration for a split second if you understand what I mean. Same with the cruise control. over the brow of an incline. Perhaps its me , as the automatic would just roll on.

Just wondered if this is correct.

Thanks for all your help so far

Nick

Haven't noticed anything unusual myself but will look out next time I'm on the motorway.

Usually when you take your foot off the gas a vehicle will decelerate!

Haven't noticed anything unusual myself but will look out next time I'm on the motorway.

Hi

Its just that its quite sudden - anyone get this?

Thanks

Hi

Its just that its quite sudden - anyone get this?

Thanks

Think it is just a case of getting used to a manual gearbox. It would increase the effect if you were in a lower gear. As regards cruise control, you do get an odd feeling as the car copes with the speed you have programmed into it.

Thinking a little outside the box (in an un-expert way), I wonder if one of the brakes (maybe the handbrake) could be binding, just ever so slightly on :huh: And this is causing the excessive deceleration you are feeling.

Will the car roll on a slight incline, in neutral with the handbrake off?

Just a thought! :thumbsup:

Thinking a little outside the box (in an un-expert way), I wonder if one of the brakes (maybe the handbrake) could be binding, just ever so slightly on :huh: And this is causing the excessive deceleration you are feeling.

Top answer

will try this today

Top answer

will try this today

Good luck :thumbsup:

Oh my dear - that time already.......

well here we go - must try to catch up wi the emails etc

Ye'll find wi a petrol 4x4 constant that ye can decelerate by lifting yer lower paw right side, quite quickly. Its natural. Even wi ma turbo engine, I can slow down quickly by lifting the foot aff an no apply the brake until very near the traffic lights/ speed camera.

The constant 4 wheel drive soaks up a lot of bhp/power hence yer lower mpg figure. Ye buys yer machine aifter takin yer choice.

Wur mans comment aboot the brakes is very relevant - ye must check wi the wheels aff the groon if the front calipers are binding but ye'll ken if the beast disnae roll forrard on a slight slope.

This is egggsasscerbated if ye have a 4x4 diff lock on - as I do ma sprint racing wi the diff lock on so a ken a wee bit.......

sounds as if all is normal. If unsure, happy tae come an gie the beast a goin oer...........

Tried this when I went out last night.

At 70mph took foot off and ............gradual decelaration - like every other car I've owned.

Auto box is 4 speed so maybe top is slightly lower - but nothing noticeable.

Didn't have chance to try the cruise control as I wasn't going far but in the past I've noticed nothing abnormal about the cruise (have it in another vehicle so I'm used to it).

Maybe should try out the other suggestions as it sounds as if there could be something amiss.

Goog luck.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links