Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mileage 20k, Changed Only Oil & Oil Filter

adept

Hi guys,

This is my first car.

I lived in AZ for past year and didnt follow that small book which tells you to visit dealer to do stuff every 5K simply because closest dealer was 2 hours drive from me :(

I'll need to change oil soon and I'm wondering if I should go to dealer to do inspection and stuff (about $300-$400) or to change oil and filter myself.

Before that I only changed oil, filter and rotated tires.

Is there anything that needs to be done during first 20K miles other than what I have done so far?

RAV4 2007, 3.5L V6

Thank you.

It depends if you are worried about the warranty or not.

If not and you are happy doing the work yourself......carry on :thumbsup:

It depends if you are worried about the warranty or not.

If not and you are happy doing the work yourself......carry on :thumbsup:

Does it mean that I lost warranty already or I'll lose it if I'll change mechanical stuff there myself?

Does it mean that I lost warranty already or I'll lose it if I'll change mechanical stuff there myself?

I'm pretty sure in the UK, one of the requirements of the warranty is having the car regularly serviced with Toyota approved parts, if not by Toyota main dealers (not sure of the exact wording :unsure: ) and getting the little stamp in the service book.

I think otherwise Toyota can argue that if the engine goes pop they don't know which oil if any you have put in the car, for example.

For the services missed in the past, I don't know, they are I guess only small running in services. I guess your car is now one year old, so in the UK it would be due for it's first "real" service.

Let's face it, Toyota will not know if you change the oil on your car every weekend but if they see the car once a year and can give you that stamp in your service book that should satisfy the warranty requirements. :thumbsup:

I'm pretty sure in the UK, one of the requirements of the warranty is having the car regularly serviced with Toyota approved parts, if not by Toyota main dealers (not sure of the exact wording :unsure: ) and getting the little stamp in the service book.

I think otherwise Toyota can argue that if the engine goes pop they don't know which oil if any you have put in the car, for example.

For the services missed in the past, I don't know, they are I guess only small running in services. I guess your car is now one year old, so in the UK it would be due for it's first "real" service.

Let's face it, Toyota will not know if you change the oil on your car every weekend but if they see the car once a year and can give you that stamp in your service book that should satisfy the warranty requirements. :thumbsup:

2 hours to get to a dealer is no excuse to deprive your car of medical attention. I guess it doesn't matter now if you follow the correct routine or not, as I am sure your warranty is lost

2 hours to get to a dealer is no excuse to deprive your car of medical attention. I guess it doesn't matter now if you follow the correct routine or not, as I am sure your warranty is lost

Cheerful soul :rolleyes:

Adept, if can afford a service and you would like to keep the warranty, have a word with your nearest Mr T and see what they say. Good luck mate :thumbsup:

Called dealer,

I'm still under warranty :)

Fujisan, thank you for your support!

john1944, thank you for your answer too!

Called dealer,

Great news! :yahoo:

You'll have to tell us more about your RAV and maybe post some pictures please :thumbsup:

:D

Called dealer,

Great news! :yahoo:

You'll have to tell us more about your RAV and maybe post some pictures please :thumbsup:

:D

Glad it has worked out o.k. for you.

2 hours drive to get to local dealership :eek:

where in seattle to you live.... Or better...where is you local dealer? Spokane :eek:

Good news is that you've still got your warranty... my understanding was that you need to get your Rav serviced at a MR T to keep it .... after the warranty expires then its probably better/cheaper to DIY (damage it yourself :rolleyes: )

I stayed in Seattle for about 7months... kinda liked it there... specially down by olympia....

rgds

Rob

B)

At 20,000 miles or whatever you should have-

1. changed yer vest twice

2. possibly changed yer underpants - depends on how hot it gets

3. bought a new pair of socks

4. had 6 showers/baths

5. brushed yer teeth, or at least rinsed yer wallies

6. made love in reverse proportion tae yer age

7. watched England get knocked oot o the European Football competition

8. watched Scotlands young rugby team beat Argentina

9. not been offered a knighthood

10. started saving for the next tank of petrol/gas, or begun to brew diesel

2 hours drive to get to local dealership :eek:

where in seattle to you live.... Or better...where is you local dealer? Spokane :eek:

2 hours drive -- that was when I lived in AZ, moved to Seattle 3 weeks ago.

Just to clarify; you are legally allowed to do your own servicing as long as reputable parts (and that would make Mr T happy if they were genuine as there can be no dispute) and the car is serviced in accordance with the schedule. Toyota say they will still underwrite the warranty. This is a legal requirement and is stated in the front pages of the service record.

However, if you are not confident and cannot safely access the transmission for oil changes etc, don't take risks and follow Fuj's advice. The interim service (10k here and 5k in the US) are only oil changes and some will be happy to do this themselves. I will document the full service after Sept when I do mine.

You must keep reciepts for parts and fully record the work done (not just tick the book).

Regards

Just to clarify; you are legally allowed to do your own servicing as long as reputable parts (and that would make Mr T happy if they were genuine as there can be no dispute) and the car is serviced in accordance with the schedule. Toyota say they will still underwrite the warranty. This is a legal requirement and is stated in the front pages of the service record.

However, if you are not confident and cannot safely access the transmission for oil changes etc, don't take risks and follow Fuj's advice. The interim service (10k here and 5k in the US) are only oil changes and some will be happy to do this themselves. I will document the full service after Sept when I do mine.

You must keep reciepts for parts and fully record the work done (not just tick the book).

Regards

And remember to document yer other changes tae!

Ah take a shower wance a month whither ah need it or no.

Its cheaper tae where yer pants fur a month an then buy a new pair as it saves washing powder; hot water; soiled water; and the remains will decompose within 48 hours....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links