Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Gauge Probs

the_hoff

hi, ok bought the car a couple of weeks ago, thought i was doing really well fuel wise when i'd done about three hundred miles on half a tank! then i run out of fuel!!!!!!!!!! gauge still showing half a tank. filled it to the brim and a way she goes again showing full. now shes done over a hundred miles and its only moved one segment. any ideas???

cheers :thumbsup:

The Yaris fuel guage does tend to go slowly in the top half and then alarmingly fast in the bottom half...........but it should get to the bottom half and keep going!

get it checked out, i dont know if there is a sensor or something that tells the car how much fuel you have left, but if there is and it has become detached, maybe that could be it!!

alternatively dont let it drop too close to half a tank ;)

good luck........let us know the result. :thumbsup:

gonna have to get it up on a ramp and have a look. cheers.

in the mean time if anyone has ideas, let me know.

cheers

I've also noticed that the lower part of my gauge goes down faster. I always try to fill when it gets to 2 blocks left.

This has been covered several times over the years. Due to the shape and size of the tank it appears that the first half of fuel seems to last a lot longer and the second half runs out rapidly.

The fact is the consumption is the same, you don’t get more miles per gallon due to the tank being full :thumbsup:

its more the point that when it run bone dry!!! on the way to work!! it was still showing half a tank, lol :lol:

took nearly £50 to fill it again!!!

its more the point that when it run bone dry!!! on the way to work!! it was still showing half a tank, lol :lol:

Sounds like the guage is a bit stuck, to me. I find the first bar goes quick, unless I really fill to the brim, then slows, then the last but one goes quick, leaving me with the 'flashing' reserve segment.

This has been covered several times over the years. Due to the shape and size of the tank it appears that the first half of fuel seems to last a lot longer and the second half runs out rapidly.

The fact is the consumption is the same, you don’t get more miles per gallon due to the tank being full :thumbsup:

Sorry TVOR, but it sounds like the fuel gauge isn't being normal at all from what is being described - I know that on our Yaris, when the fuel gauge is low it is inline with the tank being near empty - for it to run out when it shows half a tank on the gauge is a bit scary.

I am a complete novice when it comes to the actual mechanical parts on cars (I can check all the levels, but that's as far as my skills extend at the mo) so can't give you any decent advice. However, I am intrigued to know what is causing it to do this out of interest.

Hope you get it sorted & keep us informed.

Sorry TVOR, but it sounds like the fuel gauge isn't being normal at all from what is being described - I know that on our Yaris, when the fuel gauge is low it is inline with the tank being near empty - for it to run out when it shows half a tank on the gauge is a bit scary.

I am a complete novice when it comes to the actual mechanical parts on cars (I can check all the levels, but that's as far as my skills extend at the mo) so can't give you any decent advice. However, I am intrigued to know what is causing it to do this out of interest.

Hope you get it sorted & keep us informed.

i think i'll tackle it at the weekend. it's still the same after three tanks through it, so time for action!!! i'll keep you all posted.

ok, problem sorted!!!! :D

disconnected the fuel pump and sender under rear seat, fuel gauge reads one bar flashing.

so display working ok

removed fuel pump and sender from tank and low and behold, the sender had broke free from its mounting!

adjusted the little clip that holds it in place and refitted pump into tank again.

gauge now displays the correct level!!! :thumbsup:

really easy job!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links