Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Will Not Start

Bendeko

Hello everyone, I own a 1998 Avensis 2.0CDX which has been sat on the drive for 2 years as I was unable to use it.

For the first year the car was started once/twice a week but for the second year was probably started once/twice all year.

When I try to start the car now it just turns over with a rare cough. I have bought a new Battery, new spark plugs and the car even has quarter tank of fuel. I have checked all fuses and relays.

I am at a dead end and can only think it may have something to do with the imobiliser. Does anyone know if the vehicle is sat for long enough what it could be? Is there a reset button for the fuel pump?

Many Thanx

Hello everyone, I own a 1998 Avensis 2.0CDX which has been sat on the drive for 2 years as I was unable to use it.

For the first year the car was started once/twice a week but for the second year was probably started once/twice all year.

When I try to start the car now it just turns over with a rare cough. I have bought a new battery, new spark plugs and the car even has quarter tank of fuel. I have checked all fuses and relays.

I am at a dead end and can only think it may have something to do with the imobiliser. Does anyone know if the vehicle is sat for long enough what it could be? Is there a reset button for the fuel pump?

Many Thanx

Hello is the fuel 2yrs old if so it might be that. joe

When I try to start the car now it just turns over with a rare cough. I have bought a new battery, new spark plugs and the car even has quarter tank of fuel. I have checked all fuses and relays.

Many Thanx

Hello is the fuel 2yrs old if so it might be that. joe

Hi joe, thanx for reply.

The fuel is only about one or two weeks old. There was very little fuel, literally empty, in the car when I stopped using it 2yrs ago. I am concerned that little fuel which was in the car has evaporated and tarnished the pipes, fuel pump, etc but I can only guess. It has been the past month where I have been getting the car together and up to date where this problem has surfaced. The alarm does not sound but the indicators flash as if the alarm was going off. Everything else on the car seems to work ok, I just can't start it.

Thanx, Dave

Hello

Had a very similar problem when my avensis estate R reg wouldn`t start and it was the crank shaft sensor that was at fault.It could be that or possibly something has seized up .If it turns over but won`t fire up then check the crank shaft sensor.

Regards

Roy

Hi.

I just want to say thanx to anyone who had a thought or opinion of the problem I encountered, thanx Joe and Roy. I managed to get a diagnostic check on the car which undoubtedly shown there was not a problem with the car. I cannot vouch for anyone who has a "similar" problem but if it does help anyone in the future or even just for reference it ended up that the fuel pump was totally knackered. Maybe from leaving the car sat idle for so long, who knows. To some it may have been obvious. £60 for fuel pump from a local breakers. Now the car starts first time every time and is sweet as when running.

Thanks guys.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links