Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Pressure

Notebook

I read in a previous post about tyre pressures, dont trust the forecourt guage, and I agree. I tried visiting two stations a mile or so apart and the difference was quite big. Therefore, what should we use? a metal type joby or one of the electronic ones you can pickup in tescos etc?

thanks

I would say one of the most important things is whichever gauge you get, always use the same one and test pressure when cold.

I would say one of the most important things is whichever gauge you get, always use the same one and test pressure when cold.

How will the readings change? not a boyle's law answer, but by how much can they change?

Therefore, if I wanted 30psi and I drove a few miles to get there, should I put in 32 etc if you see what I mean.

Also

Bridgestone Dueler H/T 235/60R16 - what pressure do people run these at?

Thanks

I use a Halfords electronic gauge, I think it was a tenner, and it seems to be accurate. Tyre pressures are extra important on my bikes and I check them every time before I ride one of them (I am a recreational rider, maybe once or twice a week this time of year, so I'm not exactly commuting daily on them)

According to the handbook, the tyres on the 4.2 (whether they are 215/70 R16 or 235/60 R16) should have a "cold" pressure of 29 psi - or 2 bar as I think it now supposed to be called! As far as the effect of warming them up is concerned, I work on the basis that if they are 2 psi underinflated when they are cold, then when I get to the garage I need toput 2 psi in, if you see what I mean, regardless of what the gauge on the airhose says. Not very scientific, by probably close enough!!

I use a Halfords electronic gauge, I think it was a tenner, and it seems to be accurate. Tyre pressures are extra important on my bikes and I check them every time before I ride one of them (I am a recreational rider, maybe once or twice a week this time of year, so I'm not exactly commuting daily on them)

According to the handbook, the tyres on the 4.2 (whether they are 215/70 R16 or 235/60 R16) should have a "cold" pressure of 29 psi - or 2 bar as I think it now supposed to be called! As far as the effect of warming them up is concerned, I work on the basis that if they are 2 psi underinflated when they are cold, then when I get to the garage I need toput 2 psi in, if you see what I mean, regardless of what the gauge on the airhose says. Not very scientific, by probably close enough!!

Yes I use a Halfords guage. I think it is a matter of luck really as to how accurate they are. Using a garage air line is inaccurate because yout tires are not cold, the systems often have water in them, and the attachments get damaged through abuse. Use your own quality guage, and if your fuel consumption is good, and tyre wear acceptable you probably have a good guage.

It is important to keep your tyres inflated to the correct pressure... apart from the vehicle performance and safety you can also cause excessive tyre wear and increased fuel consumption with incorrect pressures. I concur... forecourt air pumps are generally poorly (if at all) maintained and vary wildly in pressure readings; NEVER TRUST THEM! I think it is criminal that forecourts can get away with having mal-adjusted tyre inflater's... how many accidents (and deaths) have been caused because of this!

I would recommend the Michelin Digital HD tyre inflater... about £30 on-line. You can also buy them at most Halfords stores for a bit more dosh! This will pay for itself in no time when you consider the outrageous charges that forecourts charge for what is in most cases an incorrect pressure! Mention to a forecourt staff member that there tyre inflater in not functioning correctly and you just get a blank look... or "its nothing to do with us mate, we have an out-sidel company that looks after that!" Get the Michelin, be safe.

GLUNK... Opp's, sorry I just fell off my soap box... :)

DaveH

This will pay for itself in no time when you consider the outrageous charges that forecourts charge for what is in most cases an incorrect pressure!

I'm old enough to remember an old "Giles" cartoon, when petrol started to go up in price in the 70s, I think. The scene was a petrol station forecourt and on a sign near the airhose were the words "Free Air - HP available"

How very true (and petrol was 38 pence a gallon, I seem to remember) :clown:

How will the readings change? not a boyle's law answer, but by how much can they change?

If you really want to find out, after you have bought your new pressure gauge, do a little experiment.

Measure the pressure before you set out on a journey when the tyres are cold and then measure the pressure again at the end of your journey.

And then you will know all about the energy you are putting into your tyres, which is converted into a temperature increase, which because the volume is fixed will increase the pressure in your tyres.

Also another reason to be wary of garage air compressors is that the compressor will generally run hot, putting hot air into your tyre, so by the same gas law, when it cools down to the operating temperature of your tyre (after you have left the forecourt :P ), the pressure will fall.

You can do what I did - buy your own large compressor and receiving tank (1 ton weight) and fit air hose with a tyre inflator and gauge. I calibrate the pressure gauge by blowing up a tyre to the pressure....then giving it a hefty kick. I then measure how far back my foot bounces; the weight of my foot and using physics learnt 40 years ago, then compute that the thing is correct.

I would recommend the Michelin Digital HD tyre inflater... about £30 on-line. You can also buy them at most Halfords stores for a bit more dosh! This will pay for itself in no time when you consider the outrageous charges that forecourts charge for what is in most cases an incorrect pressure! Mention to a forecourt staff member that there tyre inflater in not functioning correctly and you just get a blank look... or "its nothing to do with us mate, we have an out-sidel company that looks after that!" Get the Michelin, be safe.

DaveH

Not sure if it is the same one as DaveH's but I also have a Michelin Tyre Inflator with a digital gauge and pressure setting. Plug into cigar lighter, choose your pressure and press start - it will just run until desired pressure is reached and then switch off automatically.

Much easier and you know exactly where you are each time.

DaveH

Not sure if it is the same one as DaveH's but I also have a Michelin Tyre Inflator with a digital gauge and pressure setting. Plug into cigar lighter, choose your pressure and press start - it will just run until desired pressure is reached and then switch off automatically.

I can find 2. One round in shape and one squarish - which have you?

Thanks

DaveH

Thanks

I brought the round one.... brilliant little gadget... set the pressure you want and stops once reached... also tells you the pressue in your tyres....Has loads of other uses as well with the supplied adapters.....

Edit @21:20

This is my one....(but I only payed £30 for mine from Halfrauds)

high-power-rapid-digital-tyre-inflator.png

Click HERE for details

Had a bit of a google - definately not the round one.

Mine is the one on page 5 of the catalog here (Item No:12250) - http://www.caeurope.co.uk/SectionPages/pdf/michelin.pdf

It is not very fast - I tried to use it to inflate a little rubber dingy and it was running for an hour and flattened the car Battery in the process. But as a car tyre pressure top-up and calibration method it is fine.

DaveH

Thanks

I have a big round one ;)

DaveH

DaveH

Thanks

and how many psi dare a ask? ;-)

DaveH

DaveH

I have FIVE big round one's :o but don't tell the T180 owners or newer RAV owners they get a bit :blink: :blink:

Had a bit of a google - definately not the round one.

Mine is the one on page 5 of the catalog here (Item No:12250) - http://www.caeurope.co.uk/SectionPages/pdf/michelin.pdf

It is not very fast - I tried to use it to inflate a little rubber dingy and it was running for an hour and flattened the car battery in the process. But as a car tyre pressure top-up and calibration method it is fine.

Hoovie you disappoint me. I would never plug anything into the electric sockets without the engine running!!! In fact I have a separate tyre inflator, as I once blew a fuse by using the ciggy socket. !!! I never start mh engine unless all electric accessories are off, that includes all lights, radio, and heater fan.

I did have the engine going initially, but turned it off as it was taking a while and seemed pointless to just leave it idling - and I mean a long long while Zzzzzzz

Reverted to a foot pump in the end :clown:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links