Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina E 1.8 Stalling

fedrat

My R-reg Carina E 1.8 with the 7A-FE engine died on the M1 this morning with an engine management error code 22. I filled the expansion tank, found out the radiator was leaking, stuck in some Radweld and reset the ECU.

The OBD error code has gone away now, but the car is being really strange.

When i try to turn over the engine, it either needs some throttle to get it going or it'll turn over after a few seconds. Once the engine is running, I need to keep the revs high, or the engine dies.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it might have something to do with the exhaust gas lean mixture sensor as I spilled water on it and it was either steaming or smoking.

Any help?

You'll not be able to replenish the lost coolant by filling the expansion tank. You need to add coolant to the radiator. (the metal cap).

If the coolant levels are low the engine acts strangely due to air pockets passing various sensors.

I've been adding coolant to the rad, but I'm not sure how much I need to put in. Also, it won't even start now. It's turning, but not catching. My local garage thinks it could be the head gasket and I really can't afford that..........

Is there anything I can do at home?

Has the garage examined it?

Keep filling the radiator until its full. Run the engine with the cap off - the circulation will allow further coolant to be added.

If you can't get it started - it will be due to the engine being 'flooded'. Remove each of the plugs and dry off un-burned fuel. It should start right up. If when you remove the plugs they are damp with water - get your credit card out!

Did the engine overheat when you first discovered the leak?

Has the garage examined it?

Keep filling the radiator until its full. Run the engine with the cap off - the circulation will allow further coolant to be added.

If you can't get it started - it will be due to the engine being 'flooded'. Remove each of the plugs and dry off un-burned fuel. It should start right up. If when you remove the plugs they are damp with water - get your credit card out!

Did the engine overheat when you first discovered the leak?

Engine temps were fine when the car stopped first time and has remained ok since. I'll check the plugs and get back to you..

And, no, the garage hasn't examined it yet.

UPDATE

Plugs were full of petrol. Cleaned them off and tried it again, no joy. All I can think now is that my rad is leaking (I had a bump to the front drivers side, nothing too bad but enough to merit a new bumper and headlight) or the pump has gone or the actual sensor is knackered.

It still won't turn over and I've left it standing all night with the rad cap off. I did find a drip this morning from near the lean sensor, but I'm not sure if that's due to the rain over night, or is an actual leak from somewhere.

I also keep getting the same error code, 22. Is it worth changing the coolant temp sensor? And can it be done by a numpty like me? Or am I better trying to trace this 'leak'?

Update -

Replaced rad as it dumped a load of water once filled (£59.00 inc VAT at A-Z Motor Factors in Derby)

Error code has gone completely.

I'm going to charge up the Battery and that should be it.

Fingers crossed, eh?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links