Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Operation

Duffryn

Hi to all

New to the Forum as I've just acquired a 07 T3-X ex-Toyota car with 16000m on the clock, but I have a bit of a concern with the handbrake. When applied, the handbrake does not hold the car (even on a slight slope) until reaching notch 7 on the lever. The lever also feels and sounds quite rough and somehow loose at that level. Spoke to the supplying Toyota dealer who stated that anything between notch 7-9 is acceptable, but I always thought notches 3-4 were the preferred level.

Is the dealer correct, or am I being 'fobbed off'? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi to all

New to the Forum as I've just acquired a 07 T3-X ex-Toyota car with 16000m on the clock, but I have a bit of a concern with the handbrake. When applied, the handbrake does not hold the car (even on a slight slope) until reaching notch 7 on the lever. The lever also feels and sounds quite rough and somehow loose at that level. Spoke to the supplying Toyota dealer who stated that anything between notch 7-9 is acceptable, but I always thought notches 3-4 were the preferred level.

Is the dealer correct, or am I being 'fobbed off'? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Deakin here i have the same car as yourself only its a D4D i had my handbrake ajusted about 4 weeks ago and it seems to be as bad as ever again, i am having the same problem if i was you i would get the dealer to tighten it up for you it should only come up 3 or 4 notches,its easy enough done i had to do my own again this morning.

Spoke to the supplying Toyota dealer who stated that anything between notch 7-9 is acceptable, but I always thought notches 3-4 were the preferred level.
If a dealer ever says something like...They all do that. Then I would sit in every one of the cars that "all do that" they have in the showroom and on the forecourt.

If they do all exhibit the same behaviour then you can agree with the person giving you the information, otherwise you can get them to fix it.

Spoke to the supplying Toyota dealer who stated that anything between notch 7-9 is acceptable, but I always thought notches 3-4 were the preferred level.
If a dealer ever says something like...They all do that. Then I would sit in every one of the cars that "all do that" they have in the showroom and on the forecourt.

If they do all exhibit the same behaviour then you can agree with the person giving you the information, otherwise you can get them to fix it.

hi.. iv got an avensis D4D and my handbrake works perfect at 3-4 clicks.. in fact if i pull it up 4 clicks while driving the wheels lock and skid.. just an idea, but you might need new rear pads..

Your dealer may have come across some cars that lock out at 7 to 9 clicks, but they would be few & far between. You should be looking around the 4 to 5 mark, but it is what suits the car ie: condition of cables new or old & stretched. With rear wheels of the ground wheels should rotate freely with no brake binding with handbrake off with discs & pads hot or cold. And in reverse should lock solid hot or cold when you try to turn them by hand. Work for company that carries out the same car test as MOT in the UK with a few variations its prety much the same as MOT. I can tell you for certain I would be sitting with back axle in brake rollers all day waiting for h/brake to lock-out at 9 clicks, your h/brake must be pointing towards roof lining when applied?

As suggested by other forum user, dealer says they all do that. Only problem is, they are not all like that or do that.

I've an 07 Avensis and put it in for its 1st Service. I had them do the handbrake because I felt the travel was excessive. - about 7 clicks. It's about 5 now so not much improvement. The previous model Avensis had a much better handbrake - 3 to 4 clicks. I think it's down to the (poor) design.

Thanks to all for the advice, it seems the general consensus to be that the handbrake definitely needs attention. The dealer has agreed to have a look at it while the car is in for another niggle to be fixed, replacing some ill-fitting/damaged rubber cushion along the bulkhead under the bonnet. We'll see what happens....

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to all for the advice, it seems the general consensus to be that the handbrake definitely needs attention. The dealer has agreed to have a look at it while the car is in for another niggle to be fixed, replacing some ill-fitting/damaged rubber cushion along the bulkhead under the bonnet. We'll see what happens....

Hi Duffryn the Deakin here i just found out something today that might be of intrest to you and anyone else with problems with their handbrake,has anyone ever heard tell of handbrake pads?from what i have heard they seem to go inside the hub,i thought my mechanic was having me on but he said to me that there is little pads inside the hub as well as the larger pads onthe disc,so this might be worth checking out.

Do you mean handbrake shoes that run inside brake discs, whilst you have standard caliper & pads which clamp as normal against brake disc. If so your mechanic is spot on have been around for years on many vehicles, E-Class Merc for example.

Thanks for that tip Deakin, no I wasn't aware of that at all. But then I'm not mechanically-minded, although I do have a mate who is so will put the thought to him.

In the meantime my car's been back to the Toyota dealership who have adjusted the handbrake so that 4 clicks on it will now hold the car. Still not happy though as the brake handle continues to feel and sound 'rough', like it needs a damn good dollop of grease somewhere. My son's '56 D4D Avensis has a much, much smoother handbrake than mine.

The car is due for a service in 3 months time, will probably try a different dealer to see what they say.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links