Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Member With Engine Trouble!

john.h

Dear fellow TOC's. Hopefully one of you may be able to advise as there seems to be nobody here (Kenya) who can! I've got a 2000 Colorado, 3.4 V6 Petrol with engine trouble. Power has fallen by aprox 50% over the last 4 weeks and if accelerator is pressed fully there is zero power! When cold power is virtually nil. It feels like either fuel or air starvation. One garage said the sensor (Air intake i think) was dirty and after cleaning it improved slightly for a few days but now power is disappearing again. Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thxs John.h

Dear fellow TOC's. Hopefully one of you may be able to advise as there seems to be nobody here (Kenya) who can! I've got a 2000 Colorado, 3.4 V6 Petrol with engine trouble. Power has fallen by aprox 50% over the last 4 weeks and if accelerator is pressed fully there is zero power! When cold power is virtually nil. It feels like either fuel or air starvation. One garage said the sensor (Air intake i think) was dirty and after cleaning it improved slightly for a few days but now power is disappearing again. Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thxs John.h

Questions - who does your maintenance and when was it last done?, how did they clean the air flow meter? what with ??, think back to when this started - was it after a fill up, a bit of maintenance, rain? etc etc

Things to look for here ..

1, Air leak in manifold and associated pipework - especially after the air flow meter - don't assume - pull them off and check as far as you can, look for cracks etc.

2, I assume you have checked that the air filter isn't gunged up.

3, Check the accellerator cables adjustment and make sure it is located properly

4, The ECU error codes will tell you about timing etc - hard if you have never done it - you need the Max Ellery Toyota Prado 1996-2006 manual (eP.T034)

5, Fuel pump / fuel filter either blocked or sucking in air - they can be a pig to seat properly.

6, Make sure the correct plugs are fitted (twin earth ONLY is allowed) - I have seen various cheats employed in Africa - only the correct plugs in this engine will work satisfactorily.

Any other symptoms - bad starting, rough idle, fast idle, cutting out etc etc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links