Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Faulty Turbo

Colin 74

Hi Folks,

this is my first post and I'm desperate for some of advice.

My wife has a 2002 Diesel 2L Rav.

It has covered 45000 and recently developed a fault.

In January it broke down, lost all power and would not start. The RAC reprimed it and got it running but it would only run intermitently. Toyata fitted a new fuel filter and this cured the problem.

Last week she complained that the car was stuttering in second and third when cold (towards the upper rev range).

I took it for a run and all was well. On Friday the same thing happened to her but this time the car ground to a halt and the engine management light came on.

I went out turned on the ignition and the light dissapeared and the vehicle ran well.

We booked it into the a toyota dealers, drove it over and left it with them.

They have dignosed a faulty turbo!! and quoted £1800 to supply and fit!!

I asked which aspect of the turbo was faulty and was told it was breaking up inside.

He told me it would go bang if I drove it.

I'm struggling to believe this. The vehicle ran fine to the garage, no noise, smoke etc.

Has anyone any thoughts?

If this is true, where do I get the job done cheaper?

Thanks

Take it to a good local garage and let them have a look. The ECU will have stored a fault code and as long as Toyota didn't erase it they might be able to read it and see what it said. The codes cannot indicate a purely defective turbo, only that it has gone out of pressure range and there are several other reasons for that happening. There are also other faults that would give the symptoms you describe.

In any case a local garage can probably source a cheaper recon turbo and the labour costs will be halved. Just phone a few and ask what it would cost to change your turbo (if it came to that) and check it is worth your effort.

Good luck

Thanks for this advice, I'll do that.

Do you think I should drive it?

If it drove Ok to the dealer I don't see why not. If the turbo goes altogether it will just stop and not cause any further damage. Obviousley if in the meantime it starts to make a horrific noise or clouds of smoke you should only get it to a safe place off the road.

From what you have said they are only speculating on what could happen if the turbo has a catastrophic failure if it is faulty and you continue to run it.

Cheers

Picked it up from the dealer, paid my £50.

Asked for the code - 34 (2) given.

I've looked up the codes and yes turbo could be an issue but so could air flow meter!.

I could not find code with bracketed number though? Is this a new thing or has he made it up?

However asked for evidence of the turbo breaking up and was told it was a best guess!

Then he tried to tell me the clutch was on its way out and would cost £900 to replace!

I'm not too happy.

I've looked up the codes and yes turbo could be an issue but so could air flow meter!.

I could not find code with bracketed number though? Is this a new thing or has he made it up?

However asked for evidence of the turbo breaking up and was told it was a best guess!

Then he tried to tell me the clutch was on its way out and would cost £900 to replace!

I'm not too happy.

MAF sensor can play up... mine did then corrected it's self also the SC Valves can as well... From what your saying above I would never take a TOYOTA to that garage again... seems they are guessing on lots of things and speculating on what may happen.

Best to get a second opinion but those pesky OBDII readers on our Diesel RAV's are a pain to read on earlier models.. like yours, and Mr T has the only blinking box of tricks to read em... :ffs:

Worth investigating at another garage.....

I'm not too happy.

MAF sensor can play up... mine did then corrected it's self also the SC Valves can as well... From what your saying above I would never take a TOYOTA to that garage again... seems they are guessing on lots of things and speculating on what may happen.

Best to get a second opinion but those pesky OBDII readers on our Diesel RAV's are a pain to read on earlier models.. like yours, and Mr T has the only blinking box of tricks to read em... :ffs:

Worth investigating at another garage.....

What is MAF and SC?

What is MAF and SC?

MAF = Mass Air Flow (Black box ontop of Air Box feeding Turbo....

I'm unsure myself what SC stands for on the valves. Parts King may help or Anchorman.....(If there logged in)

SCV , Solenoid Cutoff Valves

£185.30 a pair (comes as a matched pair in the box) delivered to any UK address

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks guys this is really helping me to feel more optomistic.

Colin

See history behind 'D4d Obdii, Reading Fault Codes' thread. Bar the fault code many similarities to both of our problem. It may help with diagnosing true issue.

As I've just posted on the above thread, I'd recommend not doing anything mechanical work with your turbo until the electrical/sensory side is checked out since a complete refurb (currenlty £400 down) has resulted in no benefit.

Please keep in touch with progress as I'm adamant that I will not pay Toyota main dealers £2k for their poor lack of assiatnce and true diagnostic effort on this topic.

Pete.

SCV , Solenoid Cutoff Valves

£185.30 a pair (comes as a matched pair in the box) delivered to any UK address

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hey Kingo!

I thought they were Suction Control Valves???

Colin

See history behind 'D4d Obdii, Reading Fault Codes' thread. Bar the fault code many similarities to both of our problem. It may help with diagnosing true issue.

As I've just posted on the above thread, I'd recommend not doing anything mechanical work with your turbo until the electrical/sensory side is checked out since a complete refurb (currenlty £400 down) has resulted in no benefit.

Please keep in touch with progress as I'm adamant that I will not pay Toyota main dealers £2k for their poor lack of assiatnce and true diagnostic effort on this topic.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, I agree100%.

I'm using the vehicle until the fault occurs again and will check it out with an indepepant who is willing to have a conversation and try and help!

When done I will make sure the dealer knows I'm unhappy with the service.

Its such a shame you can't trust people anymore!!

• 2 weeks later...

Colin

Pete.

I'm using the vehicle until the fault occurs again and will check it out with an indepepant who is willing to have a conversation and try and help!

Colin

Pete.

Hi Colin

Have you made any progress with finding a solution with the problem?

Pete.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links