Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

04 D4d T4 Engine Stutter When Warm

wobbler

Morning all, hope someone can help with this,

Just last night when driving home the engine started to stutter when at low revs with no power when I put my foot down. It then picked up again when I changed down. Thought nothing of it until this morning driving to work and it happened again. The engine ran fine from cold, it seems to only happen when the engine has warmed up. There's over 100k on the clock (ex fleet) but with fsh.

I have been trying to drive more carefully lately wih fuel prices (keeping revs low etc), could it be dirty pipes or dodgy fuel? My only hope is that its not the injectors.

Thanks for any advice.

Morning all, hope someone can help with this,

Just last night when driving home the engine started to stutter when at low revs with no power when I put my foot down. It then picked up again when I changed down. Thought nothing of it until this morning driving to work and it happened again. The engine ran fine from cold, it seems to only happen when the engine has warmed up. There's over 100k on the clock (ex fleet) but with fsh.

I have been trying to drive more carefully lately wih fuel prices (keeping revs low etc), could it be dirty pipes or dodgy fuel? My only hope is that its not the injectors.

Thanks for any advice.

hi

when it was last serviced and what has been done???

Do you''ve any idea or even log?

cheers

Igor

Hi Igor, last full service was in February this year at Mr T.

It almost feels lirk theres no fuel getting through as when I put my foot down there is no power and the car judders/stutters.

It almost feels lirk theres no fuel getting through as when I put my foot down there is no power and the car judders/stutters.

hello again

i have espeecially asked you to say - OK as per experience the possible problems are asf:

- fine fuel filter clogging;

- primer pump + filter in the tank;

- el control system for injectors (??? i am not sure);

- injectors have reached own end due to "mordern" diesel quality.

try to investigate the above.

good luck to YOU

hello again

i have espeecially asked you to say - OK as per experience the possible problems are asf:

- fine fuel filter clogging;

- primer pump + filter in the tank;

- el control system for injectors (??? i am not sure);

- injectors have reached own end due to "mordern" diesel quality.

try to investigate the above.

good luck to YOU

besides -- when engine runs as idle - you can open the bonnet and see how it works ---> it must run withour vossible vibration. the minor is admissible due to diesel engine nature. when you see its hard vibration - it is the first indicator of poor performance of injectors. each one must to inject at P=constant as per passport data otherwise the result will be as per your observations.

cheers

Thanks for the advice Igor, out fleet manager has just spoken to Toyota who have said it sounds like the Fuel/Air filter needs changing. Can anyone please advise the cheapest place to buy from?

Thanks for the advice Igor, out fleet manager has just spoken to Toyota who have said it sounds like the Fuel/Air filter needs changing. Can anyone please advise the cheapest place to buy from?

i am in doubts with air filter, but ..... may be

in any case type the result after have rectified.

thanks

Ok, I've managed to source both filters quite cheaply from my local autoparts centre, am I ok to use non oe parts?

Ok so the air filter has made no difference although the old one was black! Can anyone please advise how easy it is to change the fuel filter and where it is? I still find it strange that it only happens once the engine has warmed up.

Ok so the air filter has made no difference although the old one was black! Can anyone please advise how easy it is to change the fuel filter and where it is? I still find it strange that it only happens once the engine has warmed up.

hello

the fine fule filter can be changed easily, as follows:

- to locate this one (cylinder shaped + name plate with typing of "fuel filter" + brand). It is installed in thhe engine compartment under the bonnet;

- to be arranged small funnel + hose + eye wrench for the tighting bolt;

- the hose must be put on the funnel and after hold funnel in hand, but another hand to lose the bolt slightly unless the diesel coming down from the filter case;

- to wait until diesel is drained and remove both funnel and hose. dismantle fuel filter and locate sealing O-rings that must be changed (normally new O-rings are provided with new filter insert)

- have filter casing cleanned by a white cotton rag + clean tighting bolt.

- unpack new filter insert + put on new O-rings to relevant places . After hold the filter insert in left hand and put it to the filter casing + at the same time to screw in tighting bolt.

- the bolt must not be tighten unless you are assured that filter insert is positionned well. Once it has been reached then you tight the bolt.

- rellease an air escaping screw (normally installed on the filter casing lid) and have filter filled in by a diesel by means of hand driven booster pump that is normally located close to filter.

- once diesel is poured from the air escape crew ten tight this screw by screw driver/wrench -- chose as appropriate.

---------------

now the fuel system is filled with diesel but to be 1000% sure YOU should start the engine and leave it running for a white to circulate the system and remove minor air (if any) by returning line to a fuel tank. After the above the engine is ready .

Good luck

Igor

Many thanks for your help Igor, I'm pleased to say that I've now had the fuel filter changed and the garage supplied me with some Forte diesel treatment which seems to be working (so far!).

One thing I have noticed though is the engine management light has come on, have the garage disturbed a wire somewhere or does it need resetting becuase of the filter change?

Thanks again

Phil

Many thanks for your help Igor, I'm pleased to say that I've now had the fuel filter changed and the garage supplied me with some Forte diesel treatment which seems to be working (so far!).

One thing I have noticed though is the engine management light has come on, have the garage disturbed a wire somewhere or does it need resetting becuase of the filter change?

Thanks again

Phil

hi

i feel that it is necessary to reset.

Sorry may be my statemments have been typed in not pure English.

cheers/Igor

no problem Igor your help is very much appreciated!!

To reset the light, is the following correct?

Turn ignition to first position, Press and hold ODO reset, ( Must be on ODO, not trip)

Turn ignition to second position, keeping reset held down.

In ODO window you will see.

-----

----

---

--

-

no problem Igor your help is very much appreciated!!

To reset the light, is the following correct?

Turn ignition to first position, Press and hold ODO reset, ( Must be on ODO, not trip)

Turn ignition to second position, keeping reset held down.

In ODO window you will see.

-----

----

---

--

-

sorry to say - but i have never dealt with resetting.

may be anothers would assist or point you to the correct way.

Good luck

Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links