Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fob Dead?

Papillon

Hi there,

Last night my fob refused to do the usual thing of unlocking / locking my car but the little red light on it still flashed every time I pressed a button on the fob. .. so I'm guessing the Battery in the fob doesn't need replacing. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and if I can fix this myself without having to take it to a garage etc? Cheers! :huh:

I would try changing the Battery in the fob.

There maybe not be enough power left to unlock / lock the car but enough to still light up the red light.

Try this first as it will be the fastest and cheapest option before taking it to a garage.

Good luck

Many thanks Smoftah you're right it's best to check the cheapest option first. Fingers crossed that'll work!

Many thanks Smoftah you're right it's best to check the cheapest option first. Fingers crossed that'll work!

Had same issue's on one of my fob's... changed both batteries as I brought two.... and all back to normal again.....First time I know of the batteries in mine being changed...and it's 6 years old 9th Sept....

Feel sorry for you if the fob needs changing!!!

My advice is to go into the main dealer with a paramedic as Toyota are ripping us off!! and the price is heart attack stuff!!

The cheapest I got a new key and fob was £177 and he came to my home!! NOT THE MAIN DEALERS.

Toyota are doing themselves NO FAVOURS charging stupid amounts of over £200 plus, we have purcchased approx 7 New Toyota's but feel let down badly by them charging these type of amounts.

We always have main dealer servicing but because of this rip off we will look carefully at new vehicles next year before we buy.

I personally feel the Office of Fair trading should look at this P**S take.

Feel sorry for you if the fob needs changing!!!

My advice is to go into the main dealer with a paramedic as Toyota are ripping us off!! and the price is heart attack stuff!!

The cheapest I got a new key and fob was £177 and he came to my home!! NOT THE MAIN DEALERS.

Toyota are doing themselves NO FAVOURS charging stupid amounts of over £200 plus, we have purcchased approx 7 New Toyota's but feel let down badly by them charging these type of amounts.

We always have main dealer servicing but because of this rip off we will look carefully at new vehicles next year before we buy.

I personally feel the Office of Fair trading should look at this P**S take.

Not totally sure just how true it is, but when I was a lad with money in my pocket, I had a little look (and just a little look) at the then new FIAT Coupe Turbo, you know the one,

fiat-coupe-f3q.jpg

That one! :thumbsup:

Anyway, I heard that a replacement master key was £600 :eek: and that was a good 15 or more years ago!

Hi Fuji, That was in the days when they had a Red Master key, as you say - This key no one with any sense would ever take out the house !! If you needed a new "standard" key fitted, you would have to take the Red Master key with you and they used that to program the normal replacement. If you lost the Red Master and needed a replacement key of ANY type, it would be a complete new immobiliser system required - that was the £600 charge.

I know this as our first punto back in '97 had the Red Master type setup and I locked that away out of reach of ANYONE just in case!!

And on the Fiat Coupe - very underrated I think. Always suffered from peoples fear of Fiat Reliability.

When I had the HR-V, one of the keys stopped working and the Garage said they needed to reprogram it - think they charged £30 or so?

Don't know if it would open the car remotely still as I had an alarm fitted that replaced the Honda remote, but it would not start the engine. Garage said it was due to it not being used for a long time and recommended that when you have the two keys you could use them both occasionally to keep them both active - not sure how true that is?

Hi Fuji, That was in the days when they had a Red Master key, as you say - This key no one with any sense would ever take out the house !! If you needed a new "standard" key fitted, you would have to take the Red Master key with you and they used that to program the normal replacement. If you lost the Red Master and needed a replacement key of ANY type, it would be a complete new immobiliser system required - that was the £600 charge.

I know this as our first punto back in '97 had the Red Master type setup and I locked that away out of reach of ANYONE just in case!!

And on the Fiat Coupe - very underrated I think. Always suffered from peoples fear of Fiat Reliability.

When I had the HR-V, one of the keys stopped working and the Garage said they needed to reprogram it - think they charged £30 or so?

Don't know if it would open the car remotely still as I had an alarm fitted that replaced the Honda remote, but it would not start the engine. Garage said it was due to it not being used for a long time and recommended that when you have the two keys you could use them both occasionally to keep them both active - not sure how true that is?

That's it the Red Master Key....the memories come flooding back :thumbsup:

Nice to know the £600 wasn't just a rumour :P

I remember looking at a Coupe at Fords of Winsford, just after they have moved to their "new" place. I collected the keys and walked over to the Coupe that was parked just outside the showroom.

Could I get the alarm to switch off.....could I heck! Open the door no problem but step inside and all h*ll broke loose! Three attempts and I gave up :lol::lol::blush::blush:

On the using the two key thing, I've heard that before, one of the lads from work fell for that, his wife had the usual key or something so he went to use the never used spare and it wouldn't let him start the engine. That was on a Disco. :P

Ever since I heard that I keep meaning to give the spare key a run.......but I haven't acted on it yet! :rolleyes: :D

Maybe this week! :D

My Local main dealer quoted me approx £250 for a new key..

I hope Toyota reads this web site and realise that they are p---ing of their customers who like me feel cheated!!!

Especially as we are their regular service users as well, I am in business and know that if I charged my customers stupid amounts of money for small items THEY WILL GO ELSEWHERE!!!

And please do not tell me that the programming takes time IT DOES NOT and the price of the key is not that expensive , and I know that for a fact after a visit to Japan to Toyotas.

One of the car guys posted a cheaper solution to this recently.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

Last night my fob refused to do the usual thing of unlocking / locking my car but the little red light on it still flashed every time I pressed a button on the fob. .. so I'm guessing the battery in the fob doesn't need replacing. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong and if I can fix this myself without having to take it to a garage etc? Cheers! :huh:

couple of weeks too late to reply maybe, but check this out!

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=50803

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links