Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie Seeks Advice!

JonnyTablecloth

Hi Guys,

Tho' Im new here, Im not new to forums I used to be with the Briskoda forum when I had an Octavia vRS.

I have now sold the Octavia and after alot of consideration Im opting for a Rav 4. On the basis that the rear seats are removeable and therefore I have a mini-van! Most useful for work!!

I have looked at quite a few and I think Im going to get a 2.0 VVTi XT-R. I have seen one on eBay, the guy will take £7.5k for it and its on 55plate.

Does anyone have any opinions on this model? I like it because it has alot of extras like climate control, cruise control etc. It also has tinted windows at the rear, which again suits me when i use it to carry work stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2005-TOYOTA-RAV4-XT-...p3286.m14.l1308

Cheers Guys!!!

Jonny

BTW Tablecloth isnt my real surname!! :-)

It is a nice looking motor for sure. do not be too believing of the "fairly economical" - well - the "fairly" bit may be true enough :)

£7.5K seems a good price compared to a lot of the RAVs on eBay and you have time to get it checked out and any warranty bits sorted out.

And it is less then I thought my lower spec, older XT3 was worth as well :crybaby:

It is a nice looking motor for sure. do not be too believing of the "fairly economical" - well - the "fairly" bit may be true enough :)

£7.5K seems a good price compared to a lot of the RAVs on eBay and you have time to get it checked out and any warranty bits sorted out.

And it is less then I thought my lower spec, older XT3 was worth as well :crybaby:

Dave M has a XTR (but the diesel one) so he can fill you in on all the bets/Bad bits.... also worth noting there is no spare tyre on the RAV's anymore so can of gunk on the lesser models (T180 has big issues with the run flats) anyhow.... looks a nice motor and a good price.... bit odd as it's so cheap....thought mine was worth about that...and it's a 52 plate VX......

He did say that he was only offered £6,750 part-ex against a new car hence the reason for the sale on eBay. also 100% feedback over 4 years. Of course I'll run the HPI checks etc. Im seriously tempted!!

For some reason I cant find that year and engine in the glass's guide as an XT-R. But the XT3 books around what he is asking, is there alot of difference between the two?

He did say that he was only offered £6,750 part-ex against a new car hence the reason for the sale on ebay. also 100% feedback over 4 years. Of course I'll run the HPI checks etc. Im seriously tempted!!

For some reason I cant find that year and engine in the glass's guide as an XT-R. But the XT3 books around what he is asking, is there alot of difference between the two?

Yep...........

From Memory the X-TR has Tinted rear windows, Climate Control, Cruise Control (Xt3 does not have these)

He did say that he was only offered £6,750 part-ex against a new car hence the reason for the sale on ebay. also 100% feedback over 4 years. Of course I'll run the HPI checks etc. Im seriously tempted!!

I have an 05 XT3 and this is how mine compares to the one you are looking at:

Metallic Graphite Grey Paint - No big deal, most RAVs have Mettallic - that is a nice colour though

Factory Tinted Windows - not on XT3, cost a couple of hundred to add

Cruise Control - not on XT3, cost about £500 to add

Climate Control - XT3 has basic A/C instead

Electric Sunroof - Std on XT3 also

Electric Windows - Front & Rear - Std on XT3 also

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror- Std on XT3 also

If the car is tidy, then I would get in there now before someone reading your post offers more (If I were looking for a RAV4 now ....... :D )

FWIW, when I was looking originally, I wanted a Diesel but ended up with a VVT-i - now reading posts about DMFs, plus extra service costs, etc I am pleased I did.

I have an 05 XT3 and this is how mine compares to the one you are looking at:

Metallic Graphite Grey Paint - No big deal, most RAVs have Mettallic - that is a nice colour though

Factory Tinted Windows - not on XT3, cost a couple of hundred to add

Cruise Control - not on XT3, cost about £500 to add

Climate Control - XT3 has basic A/C instead

Electric Sunroof - Std on XT3 also

Electric Windows - Front & Rear - Std on XT3 also

Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror- Std on XT3 also

If the car is tidy, then I would get in there now before someone reading your post offers more (If I were looking for a RAV4 now ....... :D )

FWIW, when I was looking originally, I wanted a Diesel but ended up with a VVT-i - now reading posts about DMFs, plus extra service costs, etc I am pleased I did.

Thanks for the comparison, Im impressed!! :-)

On the subject of which fuel, I wonder if diesels are actually cheaper overall. I have looked at a few diesels recently and obviously there is no doubting the better fuel economy, but the initial cost of the car is higher, diesel is up 10% more expensive than unleaded at the moment and the service costs can be higher! I think you would have to do a very high mileage to make it up.

Cheers again!!

On the subject of which fuel, I wonder if diesels are actually cheaper overall. I have looked at a few diesels recently and obviously there is no doubting the better fuel economy, but the initial cost of the car is higher, diesel is up 10% more expensive than unleaded at the moment and the service costs can be higher! I think you would have to do a very high mileage to make it up.

Cheers again!!

If you're doing less than 12k miles a year then go with a petrol! :D

My wife's petrol Rav does around 270 miles but it only costs £50 to fill up, I do around 410 in my diesel but it costs me nearly £70 to fill up :crybaby:

JonnyTablecloth, Like duncerduncs says, it really is down to the amount of driving you do. Not sure what the breakpoint is, but the way diesel has gone up in price so much compared to petrol, it could easily be 12K or even more.

If fuel economy is a major critera for making a purchase decision, then ANY RAV4 or any 4x4 is not the right choice.

I saw an add in my local paper for a RAV4 55 Reg Diesel XT3 for £7.5k at a Dealer (but just an XT3 and in white and no mileage quoted), so prices are definately on the slide.

I reckon you would be very happy with that one you saw on eBay - it does look a cracker :thumbsup:

BTW Tablecloth isnt my real surname!! :-)

I'd guessed that :D Is it because you have had a chequered past? or do you get laid a lot? :lol::lol: Welcome to the club Jonny, and please forgive my excuse for a sense of humour.. :shutit:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links