Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T3 Problems ?

Weazil

Hello All,

I am considering buying an AVENSIS 1.8 VVT-i T3-S (2003) with 52000 miles on the clock. Is there anything that I should be looking out for when I am checking over the car ? I believe that these engines have chain driven cam shafts and as such there is no worries about cam-belts - is this correct?

The dealer tells me that the service history may have been misplaced - is there any way that this can be checked with Toyota ? If this is the case what should I be looking out for?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Car is chain drive, so no cambelts to worry about. Will leave possible mechanical gripes to other forum users. I would be more concerned with a so called misplaced SERVICE HISTORY. I assume car is from a Toyota main agent? if so they may not have carried out all servicing on car, some may have been carried out via other dealers. Why would the onus appear to be on you to chase history, dealer should supply that for you. At that point you should go through all paperwork linked to car. If no paper trail for cars service history walk away.

Would he like to sell car or prefer potential buyer to walk away? Even with main agent it is still buyer beware, it's all in the small print, walk away if in doubt, plenty more of these models to choose from.

Car is chain drive, so no cambelts to worry about. Will leave possible mechanical gripes to other forum users. I would be more concerned with a so called misplaced SERVICE HISTORY. I assume car is from a Toyota main agent? if so they may not have carried out all servicing on car, some may have been carried out via other dealers. Why would the onus appear to be on you to chase history, dealer should supply that for you. At that point you should go through all paperwork linked to car. If no paper trail for cars service history walk away.

Would he like to sell car or prefer potential buyer to walk away? Even with main agent it is still buyer beware, it's all in the small print, walk away if in doubt, plenty more of these models to choose from.

Many thanks - will insist on service history and if none - leave it.

Any more comments from T3 owners ?

Thanks

Hello All,

I am considering buying an AVENSIS 1.8 VVT-i T3-S (2003) with 52000 miles on the clock. Is there anything that I should be looking out for when I am checking over the car ? I believe that these engines have chain driven cam shafts and as such there is no worries about cam-belts - is this correct?

The dealer tells me that the service history may have been misplaced - is there any way that this can be checked with Toyota ? If this is the case what should I be looking out for?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

hi

i own the same one. i 've no problems with her, but recently suffered from the oil consumption.

now all is in limits after engine treatment.

cheers/Igor

If the car has been serviced by Toyota dealerships all history should have been held on a database surely. Surprised if a car of this age and mileage, but without a service record, is being offered by a Toyota agent. If there is no traceable history then, as stated above, walk away. There's plenty of others out there.

I'd try and hold out for a T3-X instead.. has dual zone climate etc as standard.

I just traded my deisel T3-x for a Prius.. :-)))

I'd try and hold out for a T3-X instead.. has dual zone climate etc as standard.

/quote]

Yeah, agreed. Far more goodies available on a T3-X than -S, check'em out! Then invest in a decent Ordnance Survey Road Atlas, and who needs Satnav?

Hi Weazil

I have a '53 T3-X auto. Apart from the service history issue mentioned previously, check front headlamps for fogging and rear lamps for water ingress. If the latter has occured you might see water in the rear lamps. Also ask the dealer if the steering column recall has been acted upon. Check out forum for steering column recall. Check for front brake squeal when coming to a stop. This is a known issue and the fix is shims fitted to the back of the brake pads. If no history walk away as it could have been used as a taxi and done 152,000 miles.

Great value reliable car, only gripe is very weak headlight beam.

Hi Weazil

I have a '53 T3-X auto. Apart from the service history issue mentioned previously, check front headlamps for fogging and rear lamps for water ingress. If the latter has occured you might see water in the rear lamps. Also ask the dealer if the steering column recall has been acted upon. Check out forum for steering column recall. Check for front brake squeal when coming to a stop. This is a known issue and the fix is shims fitted to the back of the brake pads. If no history walk away as it could have been used as a taxi and done 152,000 miles.

Great value reliable car, only gripe is very weak headlight beam.

Thanks - am now looking at an 03 T3-X - unfortunately can't stretch to the 2004 models with traction control. :(

Sorry. As above posting points out, dipped beams are complete crap & that's putting it politely. Live in the countryside so I do most of my driving on Full Beam as do all other local Avensis drivers. You may consider HID conversion all depends on your driving surroundings. Other than that a good strong very reliable car.

Gotta agree with the diabolical headlights on models up to the facelift..erm 2006? Only other thing I can think of is the clutch pedal that gets progressively stiffer as the miles rack up, mine pedal assembly was changed at 80k service cos my left leg is now like Arnies!!

have to say though, wonderful car, enjoyed every mile in it, and yes go for the X over the S every time...more toys!

If you can stretch to it, get a two litre rather than the 1.8. The 1.8 is a fine cruiser, but the 2L also oozes power. I'm no boy racer but once or twice a year I am grateful for the oomph to get out of some clots way or overtake rapidly on the motorway.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links