Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Oil

nrgizerbunny

2 years now and about to change mine, and i'd like some recommendations!?

Swaying towards Mobil 1 Mobilube again but hears that motul is supposed to be good.

I've just had mine replaced with Silkolene Silktran 75W 90 fully synthetic oil as recommended by oilman (Opie Oils).

I am not sure if I have noticed any difference or if i am clinging onto a placebo. Saying that my clutch and gear box are pretty screwed anyway, so I owuld have been very surprised if it had a big improvement.

All I can definitely say is gear changes are no worse and possibly a tiny bit better.

oh dear what did you do to the box?

I've not done anything to it personally. It has just always been rubbish. I'll be getting a new clutch soon - once I have decided on which to buy, and figure I might as well change the flywheel at the same time too.

I used the Redline in a Fiat I had, made a huge difference to the gear changes. Not sure how much difference it would make to an existing smooth change or if you already use synthetic oil in the gearbox.

changed to a Valvoline full sythetic, 75w90 - big difference in the box and over a short period become much smoother, not expensive and i use their engine oil and other products. i believe Motul, Redline and Silkolene make better g/box oil for a small increase in price so that's probably the best route to take. i'm gonna try Motul next but am impressed with the improvement the Valvoline oil has made but Motul comes highly recommended so worth a try.

• 4 weeks later...
You could have a look at this stuff... Redline MTL (manual transmission lubricant)

http://www.redlineoil.com/buyonline.asp?id=4

The Redline 75w90 is GL5 rated. I've been told GL4 works rather well with TCS. I'm about to go for silkolene Silktran 75W90 also as recommended by opieoil. Its fully synthetic & the maintenance schedule has viogrously mentioned the use of it too so seems like a good choice. btw does anyone have procedure or best known method for changing oil.? Is is necessary to replace the gasket?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links