Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sr 1.6

madoldbat

Your thoughts, please....

I'm currently driving a 1.6 Corolla Colour Collection, my second Corolla since 1998. I'm sorely tempted by the 1.6 SR (manual, not MMT), but I've been looking at the threads about the various Auris niggles and glitches and they've sown the seeds of doubt.

Does anyone have any comment about/experience with the 1.6 SR specifically, to help me make up my mind? Thanks!

Im in the same situation as you, took a 1.6 SR for a test drive yesterday and was impressed although it was a slightly bumpy ride but I think this is due to the lowered suspension, the dealer seemed more keen on selling me a TR and was pushing that all the time while we were on the test drive stating that it was a more comfortable ride and he could do it for £2k less!!

The only other thing I didnt like was the lack of an alarm system, I dont want to spend nearly £15k on a new car and then have to get an alarm fitted.

I've taken the plunge, just traded in my two year old Corolla 1.6 SR (my third Corolla) for the Auris 1.6 SR. I took the Auris for a good test drive and was impressed. I wasn't even looking to change my car, but the current 0% finance deal and with my current car needing new tyres, breaks etc., it was too good a deal to turn down. Decided to wait til 1st September for a 58 plate, only 32 days to go!

I've taken the plunge, just traded in my two year old Corolla 1.6 SR (my third Corolla) for the Auris 1.6 SR. I took the Auris for a good test drive and was impressed. I wasn't even looking to change my car, but the current 0% finance deal and with my current car needing new tyres, breaks etc., it was too good a deal to turn down. Decided to wait til 1st September for a 58 plate, only 32 days to go!

Same here counting the days until 1st September. I was annoyed about the alarm but hey its a nice car

SR spec is nice but the 1.6 engine is very very tight when new.

I didn't have the opportunity to drive a 10k plus one but i'm sure it would be more lively once bedded in.

So just be aware that the demo you drove was probably driven without proper bedding in from new which means it will loosen up a lot quicker but possibly not last as long over its lifetime. So be prepared to have a slightly tigher different feeling engine when you pick the keys up. ..... Some dont believe in bedding in but i think you should take it easy and dont floor or redline it for at least 600 miles.

The only other thing I didnt like was the lack of an alarm system,
Just some questions about car alarm systems...

How often do you react when you hear any car alarm?

How often are you in earshot of where you park your car?

If you do approach someone standing near a car with the alarm sounding would you question them, if so and they said they were they owner would you call the police?

If you call the police for a car alarm going off how long would it take for them to respond?

Just how effective is a car alarm at protecting your car?

I had a 1.6 auris and it was SLOWER than my 05 corolla 1.6 . I sold my auris and bought a Verso 1.8 back for it .

My auris had a nock in the steeringrack what wasn,t fixed afther 3 visits to the dealer :censor:

Stick to your Corolla :toast:

take a look at my homepage for the pics

http://toyota-verso-1800.spaces.live.com

Thanks folks for your input; overall, I think I've too many niggling doubts to go for it now (despite the very appealing 0% finance) - so I'll be sticking with Corolla for the foreseeable future.

Why not the 2.0 D-4D? (...feul saving and decent carriageway power).

The only other thing I didnt like was the lack of an alarm system,
Just some questions about car alarm systems...

How often do you react when you hear any car alarm?

How often are you in earshot of where you park your car?

If you do approach someone standing near a car with the alarm sounding would you question them, if so and they said they were they owner would you call the police?

If you call the police for a car alarm going off how long would it take for them to respond?

Just how effective is a car alarm at protecting your car?

I always get out of bed when I hear a car alarm to check if its mine or not, during working hours I park my car behind my offices on a private road which I can hear if an alarm is going off all day and we have had quite a few broken windows over the past year which the car alarms alerted us too and avoided futher damage, If someone is standing near our cars we always ask what they are doing, I would not like to think someone has smashed my car window and is in my car (slashing seats and damaging the inside of the car) while I am only feet away.

I think if thieves realize that Sr and Tr models don't have audible alarm system installed then it will eventually make them more prone to being targeted by thieves and it is also quite shortsighted on Toyota's part not to include a audible alarm in the cars and cause customers the hassle of having one fitted after purchase as it is not even an option available when purchasing your new car,

I also would be annoyed if I had purchased a model without an alarm as you expect every car to include one as standard these days.

Whether it is just for peace of mind or not I feel that it is an important part missing from this particular model.

Surely Toyota will include an alarm on a SR 1.6 as an option? :o

or are you seriously saying that no option for an alarm is available on this model, I cant believe they would forget to include an alarm I would certainly want one factory fitted!

Does anyone know if you can have one as an optional extra as it will save me going to the dealer if you cant as Im very tempted with the 0% offer on at the moment?

I too am thinking of buying the SR. Does anyone have any experience of going over speed humps and the like with the SR - the lowered suspension is worrying me a bit.

Currently drive a Mazda 3 automatic. Test drove the Honda Civic with i-SHIFT and Toyota Auris with Multimode. The Toyota won hands down, a much smoother gear change, and quite fun with the paddles!

I too am thinking of buying the SR. Does anyone have any experience of going over speed humps and the like with the SR - the lowered suspension is worrying me a bit.

Currently drive a Mazda 3 automatic. Test drove the Honda Civic with i-SHIFT and Toyota Auris with Multimode. The Toyota won hands down, a much smoother gear change, and quite fun with the paddles!

I had a test drive in the SR and although it felt sporty I did feel quite a few bumps in the road which I dont in my old BMW, the dealer advised me to try the TR as this didnt have the lowered suspension but it didnt have the same kinda look as the SR and the alarm issue was putting me off.

I've got the ordinary Auris 1.6 petrol (124bhp) - suppose no difference with SR 1.6 (my car is lowered, now 18" rims, roof spoiler) - don't like the rear suspension - it's not indepented - advice to test drive SR180 diesel... we have no dieseil Aurieses in Russia to buy :( it's a pity

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links