Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 4x2 / 4x4

sheathy

Guys, I've just been reading through some articles on Rav4 2WD/4WD and have been thinking if the option of a 2WD was available, to what extent would you consider it?

2WD would be cheaper, probably by 1 to 2k (going by Qashqai prices) and it would probably give better MPG - maybe 2/3 more MPG.

I guess the disadvantages of 2WD are that you lose the 4WD safety features such as VSC and traction control... BUT you still maintain the same looks, appearance & options.

I reference Qashqai because the vast majority of the vehicles they sell are 4x2 (I believe around 90%).

Over to you.......

Hi sheathy

Well, in Ireland, because vehicles are soooo expensive due to a special extra tax called VRT, they have long built vehicles "down to a price". My better half's Rav4 is a 2wd 1.8 litre petrol. I think it looks really smart - in fact I've come to think that it's actually better looking than the 4.3 :o and, believe me, I love my 4.3's looks

IMO, given that her Rav4 will never be asked to go anywhere that you wouldn't take a 2 wd car,I'd say that for many people, a 2wd would suffice. I also believe that hardly any of us will actually take our 4wd very far off road (although there was a reasonably recent thread where someone was off in the forests) and, if you really want to go offroad, you need a low range and probably something like a Hilux (my secret fantasy)

So, in short, yes I think there's a market for a 2wd

I totally agree with robert. The car is not very suitable for offroading...

However, the norwegian dealers do not sell other than 4x4 due to the harsh winters we can encounter in this horrible cold contry. Also, public roads

can vary in quality...

In wintertime, the rav is excellent, and I would not want to be like Bambi on the ice with another than my rav.

Part of the reason for getting mine was to mitigate the risk of me not getting to work in winter. In the event it has hardly snowed but that is just my luck and if I change it we will get record snowfalls. I see it as an insurance policy.

For that reason if I were to get a FWD it would be something much more modest (a 5 door hatch).

I like the 4WD aspect of the RAV4 for safety/roadholding reasons. It would be good if it had selectable 4WD I have to say, as the times the 4WD has been a key advantage have been few and far between.

Would I have chosen the same car, but a 2WD only version? possibly, but not for just £1,000 less.

St Thicket? That road looks ok :) Here is a fairly typical Cuban road ...

DSC00985Large.jpg

And while I saw that photo, I spotted another one I took that might interest Anchorman and Duncaduncs :) ...

DSC00989Large.jpg

Although this had a lot of tourists on, it also had loads of locals who use it every day to get to work!

IMO, given that her Rav4 will never be asked to go anywhere that you wouldn't take a 2 wd car,I'd say that for many people, a 2wd would suffice. I also believe that hardly any of us will actually take our 4wd very far off road

I think this is a very good point... I believe 2WD would command some share of the market. And you're right I have only taken my vehicle "off road" once.

Although I do acknowledge some owners depend on the 4WD for bad / poor road conditions.

I think it's an interesting debate to have as many of the RAV4 competitors will be introducing 2WD within the next year.

IMO, given that her Rav4 will never be asked to go anywhere that you wouldn't take a 2 wd car,I'd say that for many people, a 2wd would suffice. I also believe that hardly any of us will actually take our 4wd very far off road

I think this is a very good point... I believe 2WD would command some share of the market. And you're right I have only taken my vehicle "off road" once.

Although I do acknowledge some owners depend on the 4WD for bad / poor road conditions.

I think it's an interesting debate to have as many of the RAV4 competitors will be introducing 2WD within the next year.

I would definately go for a 2WD as long as the MPG improved drastically, that's why I was asking about the RAV4 EV, I'm tired of lining the pockets of these oil people.

I would definately go for a 2WD as long as the MPG improved drastically, that's why I was asking about the RAV4 EV, I'm tired of lining the pockets of these oil people.

Excuse me.....credit where credits due.......the GOVERNMENT! Thank you! :lol:

Didn't Toyota recall all the RAV4 EVs and crush them? :angry: Think I read they were on leases and the drivers were obliged to return at lease end?

A hybrid RAV4 along the lines of the hybrid Lexus RX400h would be a very nice package, I think :thumbsup:

Didn't Toyota recall all the RAV4 EVs and crush them? :angry: Think I read they were on leases and the drivers were obliged to return at lease end?

A hybrid RAV4 along the lines of the hybrid Lexus RX400h would be a very nice package, I think :thumbsup:

hmm, not so sure about that since that hybrid Lexus RX400h is only doing about 35mpg combined :!Removed!: what is a joke.

Toyota did dip their foot into the world of 2WD Rav4's back in the early 2000's, with the 3 Door NV 1800 but is was discontinued in 2003, ,so i can't see them going down that route again ,as they only seem to make vehicles to sell in big numbers.

Excuse me.....credit where credits due.......the GOVERNMENT! Thank you! :lol:

Not only the government, the Saudis ETC, the whole motor industry, the list goes on and on!! According to the documentary called "who killed the electric car" the EV reqiure a lot less maintenance than combustion vehicles, you'll actually be surprised by the things that you hear there ( then again you only know as much as they want you to know right? That applies to all sides). Don't get me started!!!

hmm, not so sure about that since that hybrid Lexus RX400h is only doing about 35mpg combined :!Removed!: what is a joke.

The hybrids are just an attempt to make you think that they are ethical, when all they are really doing is supplying you with an "alternative" which still requires oil, petrol, loads of maintenance etc etc!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links