Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towbar Electrics On 4.3

three5

Hi Folks,

As posted previously, I fitted the Brinks detatchable towbar and Toyota wiring kit myself. I've only just realised ( after 3 months! - :huh: ) that there is no indication, audible or visual, within the vehicle when the trailer/lightboard is attached. As far as I'm aware it's still a requirement under ( I think ) the Motor Vehicle Lighting Regulations that there is a seperate indication within the vehicle when the towing electrics are in use. I've had a trawl through the Government website and can't locate the regulation than applies. Does anyone know if the regulations have been changed recently? I've just read again the Toyota instructions for fitting the electrics and can find no mention of a light or buzzer and I can't find anywhere where one might be connected. Has anyone got a 4.3 with Toyota wiring that has a buzzer/light?

I could conceivably fit a load sensing relay as I did on my Vitara but don't want to if I can possibly avoid it.

Any advice/thoughts gratefully received!

Best regards

Chris

Hi Folks,

As posted previously, I fitted the Brinks detatchable towbar and Toyota wiring kit myself. I've only just realised ( after 3 months! - :huh: ) that there is no indication, audible or visual, within the vehicle when the trailer/lightboard is attached. As far as I'm aware it's still a requirement under ( I think ) the Motor Vehicle Lighting Regulations that there is a seperate indication within the vehicle when the towing electrics are in use. I've had a trawl through the Government website and can't locate the regulation than applies. Does anyone know if the regulations have been changed recently? I've just read again the Toyota instructions for fitting the electrics and can find no mention of a light or buzzer and I can't find anywhere where one might be connected. Has anyone got a 4.3 with Toyota wiring that has a buzzer/light?

I could conceivably fit a load sensing relay as I did on my Vitara but don't want to if I can possibly avoid it.

Best regards

Chris

Yep - my T180 was fitted with tow bar buzzer. I know this for sure, as the Toyota dealer wired it up wrong, and indicating without anything on tow still caused the thing to go off. On their second attempt they wired it up wrong again, to go off with the reverse parking sensors. Third time got it right.

I fitted a towbar to the Trafic bus and the kit came with a bleeper. The landrover had a towbar fitted earlier this year and that has a bleeper for indicators as well. I guess they wouldn't fit it if it wasn't a requirement. Its only for the indicators. Can't remember whats used, but a trailer parts website may show it - I've bought from trailertek before. See the following page - trailer relays

I think it is a requirement to either have a visual or audible indication when the trailer is fitted and the indicators are used. like bothy, my towbar wiring kit came with a buzzer.

No idea if the RAV4.3 has some built-in buzzer that gets activated when you tap into the wiring, but you need something! Buzzers are very cheap and easy to fit, so for a DIY install, I would be inclined to fit a buzzer regardless as an easy option.

Hi Folks,

Best regards

Chris

Hi

My daughters Rav 4 (2L diesel 03 plate) has a detatchable towbar, her dad fitted it and the kit came with the correct plugs to plug in the exsiting wiring and that beebs with the indication which is really usefull as the towing plug on the trailer is a bit iffy and only works when it wants to :D

Regards

Gina

Hi Folks,

Best regards

Chris

You need the audible so you now you have a good connection at towbar electrics,usually no sound no indicator!

You need the audible so you now you have a good connection at towbar electrics,usually no sound no indicator!

or if you are really unlucky, no sound, no caravan!! :D

Dead right, Cliff :thumbsup:

Hi,

I found this on the caravan club website hope it helps.

3.5.8 Indicator Circuits

A heavy-duty indicator relay may be needed to operate the additional caravan flashers without overloading the standard unit, or affecting its flashing rate. On recent cars, this may not be necessary. It’s a legal requirement that the towcar ‘shall be equipped with an operational tell-tale for front and rear indicators (including any rear indicator on the rearmost of any trailers drawn by the vehicle)’ (Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations, 1989.) This is sometimes referred to as the ‘C1’ and ‘C2’ functions (‘C1’ refers to the telltale for the car’s indicators – C2 is the extension of that function to the caravan). This tell-tale can be audible or visual. Some show the correct functioning of the indicators, perhaps via an instrument panel light or boot-mounted buzzer. Others operate by altering the standard flasher function to an alternative ‘warning’ signal if a fault is detected. This latter option is in essence an extension of the car’s built-in bulb failure monitoring system, and is increasingly the most common option especially with vehicle manufacturer-supplied wiring kits, and vehicle-specific aftermarket wiring kits. Note that this tell-tale function is sometimes neglected when the towbar wiring is fitted – this is illegal. Do check with your system supplier as to how the tell-tale functions, however, before assuming the C2 function has been ignored – some owners expecting a separate warning light or buzzer have been surprised to learn they have a function integrated into the car’s bulb failure warning system instead.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links