Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

6 Way Gearbox

bothwell_buyer

I remember that some of the new RAVs have a 6 forward gear box. Anyone know which models its fitted on? Is it only on diesel or on any of the VVTI petrols? Cos I'd like to get hold of one for the number 1 RAV. But I need to know the model afore I start trawling scrappies for a trashed car! Or is there a 6 speed perhaps on some of the Lexus or other Toyota motors?

For interest, I'm finding the lightweight DARE wheels excellent. Just waiting for the next set with Falcon (spelling wrong|) tyres - 225/45 x 18 Once fitted, will get photos posted. The old paintwork is losing its lacquer coat on the rear door, but I'll try polishin it to disguise it!!

I remember that some of the new RAVs have a 6 forward gear box. Anyone know which models its fitted on? Is it only on diesel or on any of the VVTI petrols? Cos I'd like to get hold of one for the number 1 RAV. But I need to know the model afore I start trawling scrappies for a trashed car! Or is there a 6 speed perhaps on some of the Lexus or other Toyota motors?

For interest, I'm finding the lightweight DARE wheels excellent. Just waiting for the next set with Falcon (spelling wrong|) tyres - 225/45 x 18 Once fitted, will get photos posted. The old paintwork is losing its lacquer coat on the rear door, but I'll try polishin it to disguise it!!

I would think that fitting a six gear box to a 5 gear vehicle would involve complex engineering work, particularly with the 4 wheel drive. I think it is just the diesels that are six gear. I find that speed per thousand revs in 5th is around 27m.p.h., and in 6th. 33 m.p.h. Doing nearly 70 m.p.h. at 2000 revs does involve very economic and quiet journeys, but it is necessary to keep an eye on the rev counter to know what gear you are in. I have often been surprised to note I am cruising in 4th or 5th, and not the top ratio.

33mph/1,000 rpm must make for very relaxed driving. the RAV4,2 2.0 VVT-i is about 23mph/1,000 RPM in 5th which is top gear for that version.

My wifes Punto is a 1.2L and has a 6 speed box - I keep forgetting to use 6th when I drive that :rolleyes:

6 Speed gearbox for the 4.3 is diesel only I believe.

Here you go Bothy, (as the gearbox guru doesn't seem to be around at the moment) the data for all the engine and gearbox variants on the 4.3

gearbox.jpg

Any use?

Smashing thanks - another step forward! The gearbox ratio is ok I reckon as I'm reducing the size of the wheel/tyre diameter - so its currently thrashing along if I'm doing 70 (ahem) - well you get the drift? We'll be pulling apart another turbo MR2 very soon so will take the chance to measure up the engine/clutch. Maybe I need to look out for a wrecked diesel 4.3 to play with then.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links