Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lambda Sensors - Exhaust Emisions Failure

user632

I have just failed my MOT on emisions on my imported 1995 Rav4J 2000cc three-door estate auto with 215,000 miles. Brillaint car and reliable but is this the end if I cant get cheap parts due to age and mileage. Car runs superbly with only an oil leak coming from, I think the cam cover gasket. I digress.

I suspect it is my lambda but there appears to be 2 sensors. I can get a universal one from eBay for the top sensor (16 pounds) but unsure what effect the bottom one has. Not sure if the bottom one has any effect on the emisions but sure of the top one. Where can I get a cheap two wire sensor and top sensor (just in case eBay fails) just to be sure as I've been quoted from Toyota 135 pounds for bottom sensor and 270 pounds for top sensor!!! Part number for top sensor is 89465 20270. Cant get the bottom one off yet as i would need to cut the wire and drive a socket on to the thread due to corrosion so not sure of part number?

Any advice on this topic would be useful and any websites to try and get this car to pass its emisions test..

Thanks

I'd tend to go to an engine tuner to get them to check the system. The mileage isn't so bad. Have you tried using the higher octane petrol - these engines prefer it. Assuming its the 3SFE but it might be the 3SGE.

I have just failed my MOT on emisions on my imported 1995 Rav4J 2000cc three-door estate auto with 215,000 miles. Brillaint car and reliable but is this the end if I cant get cheap parts due to age and mileage. Car runs superbly with only an oil leak coming from, I think the cam cover gasket. I digress.

I suspect it is my lambda but there appears to be 2 sensors. I can get a universal one from ebay for the top sensor (16 pounds) but unsure what effect the bottom one has. Not sure if the bottom one has any effect on the emisions but sure of the top one. Where can I get a cheap two wire sensor and top sensor (just in case ebay fails) just to be sure as I've been quoted from Toyota 135 pounds for bottom sensor and 270 pounds for top sensor!!! Part number for top sensor is 89465 20270. Cant get the bottom one off yet as i would need to cut the wire and drive a socket on to the thread due to corrosion so not sure of part number?

Any advice on this topic would be useful and any websites to try and get this car to pass its emisions test..

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. The trouble is although i would normally get it checked the original seensor price from toyota made the car worthless so trying to keep costs down to a minimum otherwise i will scrap her.

OK

first - wot engine is in the car - a 3SGE or a 3SFE?

Why is it an import....they were all imported so what makes this different?

Is it 3 door or 5 door; - cuid ye pit up mair detail?

Whit state is the car in - whit colour - and so on - photos??

Oil leak - maybe the front crankshaft seal.

If you know its the lambda, these things can be got from some of the breakers- or after market suppliers.

If you don't want tae post, then PM me.

Bawheid frae Bothwell

• 2 weeks later...
OK

If you know its the lambda, these things can be got from some of the breakers- or after market suppliers.

Bawheid frae Bothwell

1997 P'REG, 2.0 GX ESTATE MODEL

Hi, not sure what engine is in her. How do you tell if a 3SGE or a 3SFE. As stated is is a Rav4 three door estate and coloured blue. The V5 states import so not sure of the differences. Is the 2.0 GX estate models the same s these these small Rav4 models as this would give me more choice at the breakers as these three door autos are very rare. Perhaps determining the engine type would help and allow me try and a find a cheap rad as there are very few in the midlands but if you know there are more breakers near bothwell with Rav4's please let me know as i will be travelling to EK next weekend.

OK

Bawheid frae Bothwell

1997 P'REG, 2.0 GX ESTATE MODEL

Hi, not sure what engine is in her. How do you tell if a 3SGE or a 3SFE. As stated is is a Rav4 three door estate and coloured blue. The V5 states import so not sure of the differences. Is the 2.0 GX estate models the same s these these small Rav4 models as this would give me more choice at the breakers as these three door autos are very rare. Perhaps determining the engine type would help and allow me try and a find a cheap rad as there are very few in the midlands but if you know there are more breakers near bothwell with Rav4's please let me know as i will be travelling to EK next weekend.

Theres Jap breakers advertising on this site, or you can use sites like parts-gateway. I believe theres a jap breaker in Shotts. I'm not sure whether the garage still has my old 3SFE engine - I'll need to ask them. They are in Motherwell. If they do, I'd be getting rid of the engine as its being replaced by a turbo engine and exhaust etc. The engine was a low mileage with nothing wrong apart from being too slow. The garage have had a problem with flooding last week so I haven't been there. They are open saturday mornings

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links