Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cycle Carrier

Shero

Hi All. I'm so new I haven't even picked up my new Rav4 (second hand actually 2001 3dr) but would appreciate some friendly advice. I am researching how to carry my mountain bike on it. The car doesn't have a tow bar fitted at the moment but based on what I've read so far this seems like the best option. However, I haven't read any proof that it's possible to mount the bike carrier (and bike) clear of the spare wheel; can this be done? If anyone has done this or would like to comment I'd dearly like to hear from you please. Also some advice on a good actual mount/carrier fro this purpose would also be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Shero

The cycle rack that I had on my 4.2 was made by Wiitter and did the job very well. The bracket was bolted on along with the towball and the arm simply slotted in and out when you wished to use the cycle carrier. The arm has a slight bend in it to allow it to clear the spare wheel.

I have done a search and found a site with the pictures on -

http://www.autow.co.uk/roof_racks/witter_c...prices_127.html

,it has been modified slightly since I bought mine, but that appears to be the inclusion of the brackets along the bike support arm. Indespension supplied the one I bought.

Regards

Richard

Hi Shero

The cycle rack that I had on my 4.2 was made by Wiitter and did the job very well. The bracket was bolted on along with the towball and the arm simply slotted in and out when you wished to use the cycle carrier. The arm has a slight bend in it to allow it to clear the spare wheel.

,it has been modified slightly since I bought mine, but that appears to be the inclusion of the brackets along the bike support arm. Indespension supplied the one I bought.

Regards

Richard

I was also looking into this as well....Seen these HERE to also fit, and has a lock to stop it being nicked.

972-hang-on.jpg

957-lock.jpg

If you get a hang-on one make sure it doesn't obscure the number plate or lights or the boys in blue will stop you.

I've tried several different types in the past and found the tow bar one where you sit the bike wheels onto extending bars to be the best. Usually come with integrated lights and number plate. Also less chance of scratching the car when loading / unloading.

Not used this system on the Rav as the bikes fit inside with the rear seats out - best method of all.

If you get a hang-on one make sure it doesn't obscure the number plate or lights or the boys in blue will stop you.

I've tried several different types in the past and found the tow bar one where you sit the bike wheels onto extending bars to be the best. Usually come with integrated lights and number plate. Also less chance of scratching the car when loading / unloading.

Not used this system on the Rav as the bikes fit inside with the rear seats out - best method of all.

Hmmm Wet grubby bike inside clean leather lined RAV ;) ;) ;)

With this summer weather we are having lately... mine stays at work to drip all on the loading bay floor...when dried out , put it back in RAV to take home...

Seen a few mounted on the back of jeeps lately, being holiday season and all.... and some have had the light boards...one even had a crudely made A4 paper numberplate...no doubt littering the edge of some motorway somewhere by now...others have had the lighting boards...

Would be nice to see who has a rear mounted cycle carrier...so we could see how much the lights are obscured....Cant see the number plate being obscured as this is low down by the tow hitch....

Any one got any pictures of a RAV with these fitted???

buy yersel a trailer or sell the RAV an keep tae biking - hoo much dyai want fur the RAV??

With this summer weather we are having lately... mine stays at work to drip all on the loading bay floor...when dried out , put it back in RAV to take home...

Fair weather biker! :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Er, why not stick it on the roof?? It's out of the way, you can get in and out of the back door? (I know, there's probably a good reason but I haven't thought of it!)

PS Seem to remember Chatman looking at the Specialized strapped to the top of a competitor's 4x4 at the Motor Show!! :D

Er, why not stick it on the roof?? It's out of the way, you can get in and out of the back door? (I know, there's probably a good reason but I haven't thought of it!)

Just remember not to drive into a multi story car park!

PS Seem to remember Chatman looking at the Specialized strapped to the top of a competitor's 4x4 at the Motor Show!! :D

Yea it had better suspension travel than the 4X4 it was on top off :D :D

DSCF1104.jpg

But I want to see one on the back as well.............

I have a roof-carrier for my Bike (not that it gets on there much!) and find that is quite good. Downside is that it is a fair lift up and one slip (maybe arms knackered after a hard trial ride?) and you could whack the pedals into the paintwork :o

The rear carriers if you have a towbar look a good choice- a downside I can see there, however, is the way the wheels stick out each side of the car - not sure if there is an option to detach the front wheel to bring the bike into the width of the car?

I have a roof-carrier for my Bike (not that it gets on there much!) and find that is quite good. Downside is that it is a fair lift up and one slip (maybe arms knackered after a hard trial ride?) and you could whack the pedals into the paintwork :o

The rear carriers if you have a towbar look a good choice- a downside I can see there, however, is the way the wheels stick out each side of the car - not sure if there is an option to detach the front wheel to bring the bike into the width of the car?

Yea I was thinking that... being 5" 11 is not a problem to reach onto the top but still lifting a bike up onto it's roof mount may not be a good plan after a hard day's mountain biking...Also mine has quick release wheels.....

Chatman - my Rav is used to serial rainfall up here - water inside or out - it doesn't mind.

Yea but you also have some of the best cycling routes around...small price to pay...

Hi all

Just wondered, if you buy a towbar, does it have to be wired up etc?

Is there just a bolt on ball that would take a rear mounted carrier? so working out cheaper?

Thanks

Hi all

Just wondered, if you buy a towbar, does it have to be wired up etc?

Is there just a bolt on ball that would take a rear mounted carrier? so working out cheaper?

Thanks

The mechanics of the towbar and the wiring are totally unconnected in terms of fitting, so you could fit one without the other.

I seem to recall reading about people fitting the physical towbars and having some kind of socket wired up in the car that you can plug a lighting board to. If you are wondering about not doing the wiring to save money, then prob worth remembering that - if you did it yourself - the wiring is often thrown in free and even if not, costs under a tenner in parts to get a 7N socket in place. A Lighting Board again only runs in at about £10-£15 or you could make your own for half that (I bought two new rear lights for my trailer for £1.40 each!)

I *think* that if you fitted an item that appeared to look like a towbar, it would have to be CE approved to pass any MOTs, so I doubt if any half-way house type solutions are available.

As you can probably deduce, I know nothing about towbars.

Perhaps you can help

bolt it on

wiring, how do you run this?

7N socket?

any help appreciated.

Would only want it for bikes - at the moment.

Also

any requirements on your driving licence for a trailer?

thanks

Nick

Also

thanks

Nick

No extra parts on the Lic... Just need the obligatory bumper sticker :lol: :lol: :lol:

2004011906_Display-25.gif

My favourite:

2006042601_Display-35.gif

More of them HERE

Also

thanks

Nick

No extra parts on the Lic... Just need the obligatory bumper sticker :lol::lol::lol:

Nice stickers :lol:

Just to set a potential record straight (and put myself into Anorak territory), you may need to have a test if you want to tow a BIG trailer - depends when you took your test (and I am not enough of an anorak to quote the date it changed!)

A lot of regs got changed and some automatic entitlements got taken away, including the one that involves towing large trailers/caravans (and I think driving 7.5T trucks as well?)

Check your license and see if you have category B - which is CAR (and Lorry upto 3.5T), so I hope so!, and below that is BE - which is CAR + TRAILER. In a similar way, you may see cat C - LGV upto 7.5T I think, and CE, which is LGV + TRAILER.

If you have no BE, then you can tow a trailer UP TO 750KG

So a long winded way to say ....

Yes :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard

Thanks very much for going to the trouble of replying and adding the link; good stuff.

Shero

Hi Shero

Regards

Richard

Hi

Am very new to all this.

We are looking to get a bike rack on the back of my RAV4 and we need a towbar fitting (with electrics). Our friendly local dealer has quoted a hideous figure to do the job.... :(

Any recommendations as to alternatives? The lovely bloke at our Halfords said that I would have to find someone who could fit the electrics to the special Toyota system (as it is an ECM system - is that right?).

Can't put the rack on the top, as am only 5 ft 3 !

I live south of Birmingham if anyone can recommend anywhere it would be very much appreciated!

:)

Thanks for all the recommendations as to the right rack to use - that has been invaluable!

Hi

Am very new to all this.

We are looking to get a bike rack on the back of my RAV4 and we need a towbar fitting (with electrics). Our friendly local dealer has quoted a hideous figure to do the job.... :(

Any recommendations as to alternatives? The lovely bloke at our Halfords said that I would have to find someone who could fit the electrics to the special Toyota system (as it is an ECM system - is that right?).

Can't put the rack on the top, as am only 5 ft 3 !

I live south of Birmingham if anyone can recommend anywhere it would be very much appreciated!

:)

Thanks for all the recommendations as to the right rack to use - that has been invaluable!

I think your best bet is do a "Search" for towbars and you will find quite a few threads with useful information about fitting towbars to RAV's! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links