Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dastek Unichip

Ryan SA

I just installed the unichip on my RunX RSI (pre-facelift)

BHP is now 137 at the wheel, not sure how much that is on the flywheel thou.. (maybe 197bhp)

My lift is still at 6000rpm but i have more power from 4000rpm till 5500rpm, especially in 3rd gear

have you got anything to measure afr correctly? may be worth getting one fitted just for peace of mind.

i am thinking about doing this as well....just dont know if its worth the cost?

also i doubt you are losing 60bhp atf to get 137 atw....... 4wd car normally lose 22% transmission losses so fwd should lose about 12-13%...

so you should be around 155atf.....but who care if you are finding it more drivable...:) any graphs?

Driving is much better now.. much more power before lift.

Forgot to say i'm from South Africa, and i am at the reef.. not the coast.

At the coast my BHP should be about 165 at the wheel...

Whats your email address? I'll mail the Dyno run to you, its in PDF format so i cant upload it

have you got anything to measure afr correctly? may be worth getting one fitted just for peace of mind.

i am thinking about doing this as well....just dont know if its worth the cost?

also i doubt you are losing 60bhp atf to get 137 atw....... 4wd car normally lose 22% transmission losses so fwd should lose about 12-13%...

so you should be around 155atf.....but who care if you are finding it more drivable...:) any graphs?

a guy on here with a compressor posted his dyno graph - he lost around 25%. flywheel readings are irrevelavant but it doesn't seem to be making any more on top end with the chip fitted. i think if it was mapped properly you would get more?

I just installed the unichip on my RunX RSI (pre-facelift)

BHP is now 137 at the wheel, not sure how much that is on the flywheel thou.. (maybe 197bhp)

My lift is still at 6000rpm but i have more power from 4000rpm till 5500rpm, especially in 3rd gear

Stick some pics up of your car if you can mate! Is it a Jap Import?

its all depends on which dyno you are using i suppose....

for a 4wd car the dd roller are about 22-23% and dastek rollers actually should measure the loss for you as they quote you the atf figure...

25% is way to much for a fwd car....seriously thats wrong...

ryan, ive pm you my addy... send me your graph and i'll post it up...

he's one of mine from my old evo3....just shows the losses im taking about

31560.JPG

ryan did say he was up at altitude so he wouldn't have 190hp at the flywheel to start with.

so u got this chip fitted for how much extra bhp ? 10bhp making it 197 maybe as u stated.

i dont know how much ours is standard bhp at the wheel so dont know how much u have gained, but by the sounds of things i wouldnt waste my money, if u could lower lift then yeh maybe spend the money but it doesnt sound like its worth it. well thats just my opinion so far :)

how can the chip give u a little more extra power before lift in 3rd gear ? i dont get it, or does it just force more petrol and air in ?

so u got this chip fitted for how much extra bhp ? 10bhp making it 197 maybe as u stated.

i dont know how much ours is standard bhp at the wheel so dont know how much u have gained, but by the sounds of things i wouldnt waste my money, if u could lower lift then yeh maybe spend the money but it doesnt sound like its worth it. well thats just my opinion so far :)

how can the chip give u a little more extra power before lift in 3rd gear ? i dont get it, or does it just force more petrol and air in ?

the same way the Celica 190 has a slightly different torque curve - different map. I've heard good things about dastek unichips but it's like all other ECU mods - down to the mappers abiltity. what he has at the wheels at top end is about the same as standard - without breathing mods he will struggle to get more top end but the mapper has smoothed/improved the torque curve out but these are in my view only worth while to make the most of mods already done.......

You ecu fuelling strategy is set-up to stay within emissions legislation. It would be set to stay well within the limits set out. The chip adjusts this fuelling strategy so that the emissions are closer to the limits set out by the government/EU. That's how he's is getting the extra power. Sailing closer to the limits

The only thing that will get more air into the cylinder is if you turbo charge the car, supercharge it of if you can find a way of keeping the valve open for longer. Can dump as much petrol as you like into the engine, it wont burn if there isn't enough air, that why you have that lovely crafted inlet manifold on the t sport engine, to get lots of lovely air into the small capacity high revving engine. Also the faster the engine is spinning the more difficult it gets to fill the cylinder with air.

You ecu fuelling strategy is set-up to stay within emissions legislation. It would be set to stay well within the limits set out. The chip adjusts this fuelling strategy so that the emissions are closer to the limits set out by the government/EU. That's how he's is getting the extra power. Sailing closer to the limits

The only thing that will get more air into the cylinder is if you turbo charge the car, supercharge it of if you can find a way of keeping the valve open for longer. Can dump as much petrol as you like into the engine, it wont burn if there isn't enough air, that why you have that lovely crafted inlet manifold on the t sport engine, to get lots of lovely air into the small capacity high revving engine. Also the faster the engine is spinning the more difficult it gets to fill the cylinder with air.

exactly - not much point without improving other things first. the ecu can also optimise small mods with no problem - just runs like a pig when you have to reset? soon be able to tell you what it runs like withother mods but ecu tuning will be needed i think......

its not so much to do with legislation but what sector the car is marketed for and reliability issues - if they can run a performance motor a bit lean to reduce emmisions/improve mpg for the brochure - that's why they came fitted with them turanza's.

the 2zz in standard start to get lean at about 7700rpm judging by performance - with minimul mods it does strong to 8200rpm but i'm hoping with more work it will pulll strong beyond the red line then its time for ecu work, i'm not tempted by the piggybacks tho..........

Howsit guys, sorry for the late reply... busy at work

I have mailed my Dyno Graph from DASTEK to 786s13

Please ask him to mail you guys if you wanna see....

THERE IS DEFINATELY A POWER GAIN

There is not much gain on TOP-END, but there is significant power increase between 4000rpm - 6000rpm

I reach my lift @ 6000rpm much quicker now.

As i have said. I am at ALTITUDE so i dont have the 190bhp to start off with... only if i drive at our coast.

My BHP should be around 197 at the coast which means i would have gained 7BHP on the flywheel..

Please ask 786s13 for my graph so you can see what i'm talking about....

It has 2 runs. 1 without chip and one after chip was installed.

So far i am very happy with the performance as this is just a start. Once i install my CAI and Exhaust i will get higher gains on Top-End definately.

Here's a old pic of my car : http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/R...17052008504.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk271/R...06042008467.jpg

here are ryans graphs...

but to add if you've gone to the effort of getting a chip and dyno then you really should be getting a graph which shows afr as well, otherwise whats the point...any car can be made to go faster by running lean.

other than that its a nice smooth line and seems to have plenty of kick low down.. one thing i dont get is you're show to be getting 127nw or toque from only 2.5k revs... is that right?

ryan1kd2.jpg

ryan2gv7.jpg

ryan3nz3.jpg

with induction and decat it would defo be worth the cost...:) also would be intresting to see the results.

nice car man.... ;)

get rid of the Speakers and towbar and that will give you a little more power/weight :D

Ya, i dont think the torque reading on the second graph is right... (Different dyno/Different day)

IMO i would still recommend the chip to the guys running 2zzge motor.. if you need more torque low down..

The chip also helped with my fuel economy.. not by much but its lighter.

Havent tested a full tank yet, but i should get around 100km's more per tank. (60miles)

Will let you guys know...

Ya, i dont think the torque reading on the second graph is right... (Different dyno/Different day)

IMO i would still recommend the chip to the guys running 2zzge motor.. if you need more torque low down..

The chip also helped with my fuel economy.. not by much but its lighter.

Havent tested a full tank yet, but i should get around 100km's more per tank. (60miles)

Will let you guys know...

cooll. how much did you pay for the chip and map?

I paid R2100.

1 British Pound = 14.47722 South African Rand

so it works out to about 146 pounds... if you were in South Africa...

I paid R2100.

1 British Pound = 14.47722 South African Rand

so it works out to about 146 pounds... if you were in South Africa...

wow thats pretty decent for the gains, if you gain 5-10bhp its well worth it! combine with an intake mod, and you should be pushing 200bhp in a T Sport at the fly i reckon (on Optimax)

add Piper cams in...should be what, 210-215 at the top end (fly?)

I do think its worth it.. especially because i'm also saving fuel...

I'm going to do my Exhaust next and will post my gains.. will also try to do the Dyno run at the coast to give the true horsepower of the car.. Not sure about cams thou.. Have heard about the "Van der linde cams" here in SA, but not sure if it will work on the motor...

I do think its worth it.. especially because i'm also saving fuel...

I'm going to do my Exhaust next and will post my gains.. will also try to do the Dyno run at the coast to give the true horsepower of the car.. Not sure about cams thou.. Have heard about the "Van der linde cams" here in SA, but not sure if it will work on the motor...

go to

www.monkeywrenchracing.com on the left hand side, Piper Cams, 2zz-GE engine, and then click ont he dyno chart,

thats DAMN impressive gains (at the wheels) in the 4-6krpm range.

frankly i dont know if i can get past xmas this year without treating myself to a set.

Thanks dude, will check that site out as well... wonder if these cams make the car heavier on fuel thou?

Thanks dude, will check that site out as well... wonder if these cams make the car heavier on fuel thou?

lol the car is only as heavy on fuel as your foot is on the pedal, and that your map dictates.

Addiction to " LIFT " causes a huge loss of Fuel

i noticed that. i also notice that the engine is not as frugal as the sr20 2.0 from my primera! a bit dissapointing but nm.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links