Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fan Belt On 190

TimmyD190

my fan belt is squeeking rather loudly, was a little squeak at first but now its loud all the time. horrible. does any one have a price round about for the belt changing. ie from the dredded toyota dealer.

its more likely to be the aux belt squealing.

take off the plastic engine cover and leave the engine idling. put a dab of copper grease on a brush and apply it to the moving belt on the outside NARROW edge. keep on putting a little at a time on until the noise stops. This will usually cure the problem for a good few months.

Only real solution long-term is to change the belt, which is about £15 to £30

It could also be the tensioner which the part alone costs about £80. The tensioner will make more of a mechanical chirping noise rather than the squealing sound the belt makes when slipping. This noise will sound worse on startup when the engine is cold and will gradually fade when the engine is warm. If you can put up with this noise then it will do no harm to just leave it.

• 2 weeks later...
its more likely to be the aux belt squealing.

take off the plastic engine cover and leave the engine idling. put a dab of copper grease on a brush and apply it to the moving belt on the outside NARROW edge. keep on putting a little at a time on until the noise stops. This will usually cure the problem for a good few months.

Only real solution long-term is to change the belt, which is about £15 to £30

It could also be the tensioner which the part alone costs about £80. The tensioner will make more of a mechanical chirping noise rather than the squealing sound the belt makes when slipping. This noise will sound worse on startup when the engine is cold and will gradually fade when the engine is warm. If you can put up with this noise then it will do no harm to just leave it.

thats brilliant info is tht mate spot on. i think its a bit of both to tell you truth. when its a bit damp out. it makes a horrible noise like a grinding but tht fades off to a qiuet squeak. i put sum talc on it other day an it stopped doin both noises for about a day lol. but ill def try the copperr grease got sum o tht left in garage. thanks again mate. top man.

• 2 weeks later...

The aux belt will set you back approx £14 from EuroCarParts, and to fit it is a very easy job, as long as you have a spanner to fit. All you do is turn a nut on the pretensioner to give some slack and the belt just slides off, fitting the new one it would help if a friend held the spanner and you routed the belt correctly. Although it can be done with one person only if needed :)

Honestly, its a very easy job, i was glad i did it myself as toyota wanted >£100 to change it. I felt like superman after i finished ;)

There is a VERY good post on here ( started by me lol) that contains a link to a guide on how to do it, with photos and everything, just do a search :)

BFM

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links