Would You Buy A T180/sr180?

Hoovie

What would you do?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Buy the T180 ...

• with the BSR Runflat system
    • with 'normal' tyres and a spare
    • with 'normal' tyres and can of gunk

Just curious to see how much the Run-Flat issue is affecting purchasing decisions.

It is a multi-choice poll, so you can select all the options that apply to you.

FWIW, If I were in the market for a car in that price range, the BSR Run-Flat issue WOULD stop me writing a cheque for the T180/SR180 absolutely, as even though the risk of a puncture is very small, the situation management post-puncture is not acceptable to me.

The Poll didn't quite work out right :crybaby: - meant to have extra options.

C'est la Vie

C'est la Vie

I would not even consider buying a Rav T 180. Not only is the Run Flat issue a major and costly problem, which would devastate residual values, but the increased bhp out of the same engine as the standard Ravs probably has an unhealthy effect on insurance premiums.

We have all seen how the guy who overtakes at every possible oportunity, regardless of the risks involved, is only three or four cars ahead of us when we pause at traffic lights some 15 miles down the road. I am more than happy with my 07 XTR diesel; and if any one offered me a straight swap for a brand new T 180, I would reject it !!!

C'est la Vie

I would not even consider buying a Rav T 180. Not only is the Run Flat issue a major and costly problem, which would devastate residual values, but the increased bhp out of the same engine as the standard Ravs probably has an unhealthy effect on insurance premiums.

We have all seen how the guy who overtakes at every possible oportunity, regardless of the risks involved, is only three or four cars ahead of us when we pause at traffic lights some 15 miles down the road. I am more than happy with my 07 XTR diesel; and if any one offered me a straight swap for a brand new T 180, I would reject it !!!

Sorry John, but even with the RFT issue, (perhaps I'll buy a can of gloop like you have as standard) there is no way in God's green earth, would I swap 1 of yours for 1 of mine. The engine in T180 is, in my humble opinion a master piece and you might not be aware, but Toyota invited motoring correspondents from around the world for a new launch, all of which were surprised that it was in respect of this engine and not a new car. An Avensis estate, fitted with this engine, can out accelerate a Porsche Boxter at certain speeds, we are not talking about overtaking at every possible opportunity, but having the ability to overtake safely, especially if fully laden. But obviously if you wanted a: that particular engine option and b: all the additional extras that come with the car, then you don't mind paying £27k plus any slight additional running costs, as these are out weighed by the sheer pleasure of owning and driving this flagship model.

I've voted for all 3!! I am not against the concept of RFT's, even the BSR. It's the supply/fitting issue I don't like.

I've voted for all 3!! I am not against the concept of RFT's, even the BSR. It's the supply/fitting issue I don't like.

That's why it's a multi-choice :lol: - It is a shame the RFT is not a zero-cost option.

The option to delete the spare wheel and have a tin of tyre sealent instead is a popular no-cost option on lots of standard cars.

C'est la Vie

When i bought my XT4, i was not a member of this forum, and consequently was unaware of RFs or any other problems, and i sometimes wonder if i wasn't better off, as i have been driving around for the past 12 yrs knowing i was in the most reliable cars in the world, and none of my 3 ravs have ever let me down, I really really wanted a T180, the only thing that stopped me was £27000, which i simply could not afford. John, do you never just have a bit of fun

in your cars? I do! and yes Miss Daisy might catch me at the next set of lights, but has she enjoyed getting there? If driving was just an A to B thing then we would all be driving Skodas, and travelling around in 40mph convoys, The T180 without the RFs and the £27000 price tag would be my ideal car.. :thumbsup:

C'est la Vie

When i bought my XT4, i was not a member of this forum, and consequently was unaware of RFs or any other problems, and i sometimes wonder if i wasn't better off, as i have been driving around for the past 12 yrs knowing i was in the most reliable cars in the world, and none of my 3 ravs have ever let me down, I really really wanted a T180, the only thing that stopped me was £27000, which i simply could not afford. John, do you never just have a bit of fun

in your cars? I do! and yes Miss Daisy might catch me at the next set of lights, but has she enjoyed getting there? If driving was just an A to B thing then we would all be driving Skodas, and travelling around in 40mph convoys, The T180 without the RFs and the £27000 price tag would be my ideal car.. :thumbsup:

I have a T180 that replaced a new skoda diesel DSG and I must say the quality of both cars is similar. The accelleration is very similar just the handling differs. I was very impressed with my skoda but when an uninsured driver drove head on into it I was even more impressed with it (13k damage and I had no injuries). However I did my homework and drove all the diesel Rav4's and was very impressed with the T180 as the engine seemed so sweet and quiet when on the move at low speed. I bought a 2 month old one from a main dealer for 22k and I see it as the best car to meet all my needs. I am averaging about 35mpg at the moment with 4k on the clock and it seems to be getting better. I was howver more impressed with the economy of the standard diesel which was up at 40mpg straight away. Yes I am sad and like all the toys and a little bit of extra push an had I had the choice I would have got it with standard tyes but the T180 is worth it.

The other cars I drive are Prius (Wifes) and Lexus 400h, 600h, Audi R8 Merc SL600 and I am always glad to get back in my Rav!

Regards

Mereside

Right first things first.....T180 wonderful car, great engine, would have bought one in a heart beat if I had the money :lol:

Down to business :P

Now this is a question I will have to give a lot of thought to in the future, because when I change mine in a few years time, the chance of it being equiped with a spare or even a space saver, by then, is very slim indeed. :g:

Tyre repair gunk, don't like the stuff! OK for push bikes where inner tubes are ten'a'penny but with car tyres, especially those fitted with TPMS, I think it's a case of double trouble to be avoided.

Carrying a spare in the luggage space (rather then a proper wheel well), been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, HATED it! :angry: First car I had was a puncture magnet, ended up carrying two spares, one in the wheel well, one in the boot. Hated it! :ffs: No thanks, never again.

Good luck to all those who do.....but it's not for me.

Run flats, has mentioned above (and else where), for good or bad, the motor industry is moving away from spare tyres, so it is either gunk or run-flats! Don't like gunk, so I'll take run-flats.

Don't get me wrong, not happy with the Toyota / Bridgestone support ring situation, the time it takes to change a tyre or the cost incurred. :angry::angry:

Of the three options it would have to be run-flats for me...................but if I was rich enough to afford a T180 :D, I might (and only might) invest in an ordinary spare, to be kept in the garage (and only in the garage!) so that I could keep mobile while any tyre that need changing was sourced and fitted. :P

I think this last few years we have only just started on the journey with RFT's, we are going though some teething pain at the moment, hopefully the situation will sort itself out in years to come, because has I said IMHO the days of the spare tyre are numbered, so sooner or later we will all be faced with this question.

If driving was just an A to B thing then we would all be driving Skodas, and travelling around in 40mph convoys,

Careful Stewart, you'll have the VRS boys after you! :lol::lol:

Personally I think Skoda make great cars these days :thumbsup: and would have one over an equivalent VW any day!

But I can see why you might not like them, seeing has every other mini-cab on the road is an Octavia :lol::lol:

The other cars I drive are Prius (Wifes) and Lexus 400h, 600h, Audi R8 Merc SL600 and I am always glad to get back in my Rav!

Regards

Mereside

Nice fleet Mereside! :o :D :thumbsup:

Personally I think Skoda make great cars these days :thumbsup: and would have one over an equivalent VW any day!
I agree with you, i used Skoda not in the derogatory way that we used to think of them, but as a relatively low cost sensible reliable car, which is the reason they are used very effectively as mini cabs. Am I right in thinking Skoda do an Audi A4 or A6 equivelant, for about £10,000 less? Makes sense to me

:thumbsup:

I agree with you, i used Skoda not in the derogatory way that we used to think of them, but as a relatively low cost sensible reliable car, which is the reason they are used very effectively as mini cabs. Am I right in thinking Skoda do an Audi A4 or A6 equivelant, for about £10,000 less? Makes sense to me

Its called the Skoda Superb... and is.............. has clever boot opening... hatch style or saloon depending on what you want in there...some of the managers have new Mondeo's at work and I don't like them....

The wife's car (206 cc shhh don't tell Anchorman) has a can of tyre sealant..as understandably when the roof is in the boot there isn't much room.. hate the stuff.. had too use it once and knackered the tyre.. to say the least had new tyre in stead... as a get me home fix.. it works.. and as we live out in the Essex country side, I know my wife will be safe (after she fixes the tyre) getting home.....When we sell it I'll get a car with 5 proper tyres...but as seeing most manufactures now don't offer that... could be a hard selection.

Oh and seeing as the Hummer has a proper spare... I wont have any problems when I come to change.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah...get what you mean now Stewart :thumbsup:

Spot on description......low cost sensibile reliable car :thumbsup:

Re: The Skoda Superb.......the boot is massive even with the seat's up and the passenger room in the back makes a Merc E class look pokey! :P All starting from £15, 500 :eek:

Some engines will have the option of four wheel drive and there is rumoured to be an estate version on the way next year. :yahoo:

Must find out what system it uses for a "spare tyre" :g::lol:

When we sell it I'll get a car with 5 proper tyres...but as seeing most manufactures now don't offer that... could be a hard selection.

A very hard selection.....needle in a haystack! :crybaby:

That boot design on the Superb is, well..., superb :) I can see a few makers bringing that in within a couple of years.

I can't see the RAV4.3 having a spare wheel option on any trim varient within the year and the RAV4.4 will have a tailgate instead of a door (hopefully split - that would be good)

That boot design on the Superb is, well..., superb :) I can see a few makers bringing that in within a couple of years.

I can't see the RAV4.3 having a spare wheel option on any trim varient within the year and the RAV4.4 will have a tailgate instead of a door (hopefully split - that would be good)

Agreed :yes: ....on all three points :thumbsup:

Re: The Skoda Superb.......the boot is massive even with the seat's up and the passenger room in the back makes a Merc E class look pokey! :P All starting from £15, 500 :eek:

Some engines will have the option of four wheel drive and there is rumoured to be an estate version on the way next year. :yahoo:

Must find out what system it uses for a "spare tyre" :g::lol:

So far from what I read it's a............steel spare wheel! :yahoo::toast:

Well done the Manufacturer of happy drivers! :toast: :D :D

Other's please take note! :angry:

Yer i will second that!!

I've voted yes but with goop or wheel as I wpuld love to keep mine if it wasn't for the RFT. I don't object to paying a bit more to repair the inner ring should I get a puncture - bring that it's doing a job to make such an event safer. I just object to paying stoopid amounts of money to replace a worn tyre - and for having to travel 70+ miles to do it. And... I object even more for the fact we can't rotate our tyres to extend their life a little more. It's like everything about them is designed to screw me over! lol.

other than the tyres it's a lovely vehicle. fab to drive. goes zoom fast and corners really well. aside from it's hosrrid mpg on hilly r-roads, it's ace fun on country roads!

oh, and the seats aren't that comfy on long journeys. but that's not what this poll is about.

Daisy

There is now a mod available for the front passenger seat sensor if it proves too sensitive. I seem to remember that it caused you some frustration. Your dealer will change it for you if you haven't sold your car by then.

I must admit that downsizing did occur to me when fuel was going up weekly but when considering the depreciation (you will be shocked at what your T180 is worth) and the fuel consumption (granted yours can be around 25% worse than mine) I couldn't justify it. As originally planned the RAV stays unless something dramatically changes. You know you could change to standard wheels and tyres which would be far less costly than changing your vehicle.

Regards