Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help Engine Conversion

ellis225

:unsure: went to my local scrap dealer and saw he had a 1.6 engine out of a 98 corolla. my car curently has the 1.3 and is the same age. both cars are the 3 door gs model.

from what i can see the engines are identical size and the bolt patterns are the same. would the gearbox from my car fit the engine alright? and someone said that i wold have to change the loom.

has anyone done this conversion or know anything about it as i need help.

you'd have to check the bolt patterns and bell sizing to confirm if the gearbox would fit to the engine but if it did it would drop right in the 1.3 bay and line up withe the existing engine mounts. i can get some of the things you'd need to convert to a 98 4A-FE engine as i just took mine out to put something a little bigger in. but i'de reccomend converting the 4A-GE rather than a 4A-FE. tho it'll be older it's more powerful out the box.

bolt patterns from what we could see were the same as there was a 4e-fe sitting beside the 4a-fe. we had a good look around the two not in much detail and from what we could see they were identical. my friend said the gearbox shouldnt be a problem.

what exactly would i need? i heard a loom and i can lift the ecu out of the car the engine came out of as it was there when i took the interior out of it for my car.

what is the 4a-ge engine?? we were looking at an 1.8 aventis engine looked as thought it would have slotted in nicely.

the 7A-FE from the avensis would fit, the old ae102 GXi (generation before yours) was fitted with the 1.8 however the avensis has coil-packs i believe so you'd definitely need the matching ecu. the 4a-ge is a 'performance' engine from the MR2 and ae92 corolla GTi.

you'll need the ecu that corresponds to the relevant engine, the driveshafts should fit in whichever gearbox you choose. the corresponding loom would be helpful.

i am doing the very same conversion, i am going away on holidays on the first two weeks of september and the car will be in the garage during this time. some things you will need though is an oil cooler as there is one on the 1.6 and none on the 1.3, an altinator from the 1.6 and deffinatly the engine loom

i think that aventis engine was a year 2000 engine but not sure, dont really want too much power so id say a performance engine a no for now. just want a bit more power as i have just passed my test and want to keep it between the ditches.

i think all of the parts are still on the engine apart from the gearbox, so i take it the oil cooler is included on parts that would be on the engine, i could get the ecu from the donar car and the loom im sure is there too and the altonator shouldnt be to hard to pick up as there was 2 1.6 corollas lying around.

any problems i may run into? like things not fitting.

why to the garage ryan, will i need mine to go in too.

i think that aventis engine was a year 2000 engine but not sure, dont really want too much power so id say a performance engine a no for now. just want a bit more power as i have just passed my test and want to keep it between the ditches.

i think all of the parts are still on the engine apart from the gearbox, so i take it the oil cooler is included on parts that would be on the engine, i could get the ecu from the donar car and the loom im sure is there too and the altonator shouldnt be to hard to pick up as there was 2 1.6 corollas lying around.

any problems i may run into? like things not fitting.

why to the garage ryan, will i need mine to go in too.

insurance dont like engine swaps.

Wouldnt it be cheaper and potentially better to simply sell the 1.3 car and buy a 1.6 car or better?

basically the cost to swap the engine would exceed the cost of changing car imo, but give you less complications (hopefully)...

i can see what your saying, and yes it wood be alot cheaper and easier just to change the car.

jus fancy a little project just like alot of people who do swops.

when are u doing the conversien, let me know how you get, on good luck :thumbsup:

you are correct saying insurance don't like swaps, however my 3s-gte'd corolla (originally the 1.6 SR) cost me a mere £900 fully comp. plus where the fun in buying a car that's already fast people will be expecting it, make a slower car faster!

you are correct saying insurance don't like swaps, however my 3s-gte'd corolla (originally the 1.6 SR) cost me a mere £900 fully comp. plus where the fun in buying a car that's already fast people will be expecting it, make a slower car faster!

have been keeping a close eye on your project for a month now, fair play to you, its some bit of engineering. bit late saying it now but would the whole gt4 front sub frame not bolt under the corolla some way, then you would be using the same hubs, drive shafts etc without having the nightmare of trying to find what fits :ffs: , just a thought. did you put the Battery in the boot?

yeah i put the Battery into the boot. unfortunately the subframe wouldn't fit not quite the same dimensions and the hub splines are the same as the celica's anyway. the nightmare will begin when the st185 gearbox goes in....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links