Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius

michael smith

I own 2 toyota,s .Yari verso diesel 04.Toyota Prius 08.I average 60 in my verso which is fine and acceptable.My Prius averages 56.I am an advanced motorist and have adjusted my driving acordingly.I bought this car on its economy blurb, it is agreat car and i am very pleased with it.The fuel consumption is an unobtainable figure in my opinion.If it can be obtained in normal driving conditions on the ROAD.i would be glad for someone from Toyota to show me how.It is a great product but why deceive the public with these redicouls figures.i.e.65.7 combined.

I own 2 toyota,s .Yari verso diesel 04.Toyota Prius 08.I average 60 in my verso which is fine and acceptable.My Prius averages 56.I am an advanced motorist and have adjusted my driving acordingly.I bought this car on its economy blurb, it is agreat car and i am very pleased with it.The fuel consumption is an unobtainable figure in my opinion.If it can be obtained in normal driving conditions on the ROAD.i would be glad for someone from Toyota to show me how.It is a great product but why deceive the public with these redicouls figures.i.e.65.7 combined.

The mileage figure is as I understand it is done by using a formula set up by government and is the same for all makes, it is not Toyota who decide this figure.

The mileage figure is as I understand it is done by using a formula set up by government and is the same for all makes, it is not Toyota who decide this figure.

The mileage figure is set by the E.U. but endorsed by Toyota the manufacturer.We all realise that quoted figures by car manufactures are rarele obtainable in real conditions,but a discrepancy of 12 m.p.g. on the combined cycle is a farce.We are a spinless nation when it comes to confrontation with big companies.In the U.S Honda has been taken to court over similar claims for their hybrid.

I have had my Prius T Spirit (57) since Febuary and for the first couple of months I was very disappointed with the MPG which averaged about 50 to 55. However, during the last two months I am averaging 62. I found that if I kept below 70 on the motorways and left 10 minutes earlier when taking the wife to work in the mornings so avoiding a rush, The average started to creep up.

I have had my Prius T Spirit (57) since Febuary and for the first couple of months I was very disappointed with the MPG which averaged about 50 to 55. However, during the last two months I am averaging 62. I found that if I kept below 70 on the motorways and left 10 minutes earlier when taking the wife to work in the mornings so avoiding a rush, The average started to creep up.

This could well be due to the driving conditions in and around the south east.I could live with the 5-6 margin per gallon but the 11 m.p.g. is a bit much.Combined means combined m.p.g. wether you live in Scotland Ireland England or Wales.Thanks for your comment.

The fuel figures are not plucked out of the air, they are produced by either an official government tester, or by the manufacturer using specific criteria set out in EU law, the figures cannot be made up. The figures don't include variables like road conditions, hills, wet, wind and driving style by individuals. Some people are able to acheive or better the figures quoted, this is down to their specific circumstances like style of driving etc

More on the subject can be found on the CARFUELDATA WEBSITE

Kingo :thumbsup:

The fuel figures are not plucked out of the air, they are produced by either an official government tester, or by the manufacturer using specific criteria set out in EU law, the figures cannot be made up. The figures don't include variables like road conditions, hills, wet, wind and driving style by individuals. Some people are able to acheive or better the figures quoted, this is down to their specific circumstances like style of driving etc

More on the subject can be found on the CARFUELDATA WEBSITE

Kingo :thumbsup:

This is what my argument is all about .The average layman goes into a showroom, looks at the blurb and thinks wow thats great.This figure bares no resemblance to actual driving conditions.I know no one person who has achieved anything like that figure.You do get the occasional bragger who tells you "i am getting 95 to the gallon from my v.w.passat ." or some such other story.I still maintain it is wrong and these figures deceive the public.I m not a layman in these type of things.I served my time as a motor mech.and worked for D.Benz on electric drive vehicles ror a number of years. This is just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have had my new T4 for just 1 week now. I got 52mpg out of the trial car, I had before I purchased. I've now done the tour of the M25 twice and found that if I adapted my driving style I improved from 60.8mpg the first time to 68.8mpg the second time (and with the aircon on auto too) . I have found that the prius coasts very well, as there is no engine braking, and by anticipating in advance when to take your foot off the gas, as opposed to fast pace brake hard tatic, the mpg starts to add up. Also I have noticed that if you get to your target speed quickly, you can feather the throttle to maintain that speed, (coasting effect helping again), and the Battery is used to maintain this speed rather than the engine when using a heavier foot on the gas. Anyway I love the car so far, really smooth, and surprisingly big inside. Haven't met the car that does the same MPG as they claim, but very happy with the milage output so far. The tank is still half full with 396 miles travelled.

I must agree with the last post.

I drive a 2000 Prius (Classic) for nearly a year now and initialy I was getting about 48-49mpg in around town. As I've learn to drive it more eficient( not slower...) I am getting 55-58 mpg for the same routes and is getting better with every tank of fuel. For about 40 lt(aprox 9 gal) I'm getting about 500mls(800 km) with air con used from time to time.

Does anybody with the older generation Prius get a better mileage?? Just want to have some refferance wrt my car. Maybe some tips on how I can improve my consumption?....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links