Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Punture Spray Stuff

Guest Snowy3

Guest Snowy3

I am still having trouble getting a spare 16" steel rim for Snowy. Bothy kindly donated one but it had the wrong 'offset'!?! so mechanic wouldnt put it on. But he had a closer look and said i have Vauxhall rims because they say GM on them. So spent all last weekend trying breakers and scrap yards but no one has anything 16". I tried Parts Gateway website too :(

So prob is i am still without a working spare wheel (tyre is fine) - so i was wondering to tide me over till i can afford to look at getting alloys or something would a can of that stuff you spray in your tyre when its punctured be any good? anyone used it? can it 'get you home'? which is all i would want.

I used to have a Pug 206cc which didnt have a spare wheel but had two cans of the stuff but *touch wood* i never had to use it. So i really don't know how good the spray is :unsure:

I am still having trouble getting a spare 16" steel rim for Snowy.

a can of that stuff you spray in your tyre when its punctured be any good? anyone used it? can it 'get you home'? which is all i would want.

Snowy I have used the stuff in a motorcycle tyre, it got me home (only about ten miles tho)

Try here, maybe one of these would do?? Don't quite understand the GM thing, but at least these are off a similar Rav4

They don't look bad and it is a simple job with a bit of sandpaper and wheel paint to smarten them up :)

Let's hope Snowy3 checks in soon, there's only 3 hours to go before the sale ends!

Guest Snowy3

Awww no! i've only just got home and the auction had ended! went for 99p as well - although it would of cost in fuel to get to Lanks from here. i'll keep an eye out on eBay see if any more crop up. Problem is Bothys was off the same model RAV as mine and it wouldnt fit so its hard to know. I need an expert!.

Apparently GM means General Motors so the mechanic reckons they are vauxhall made rims. But the Vauxhall scrap yard said most 16" are alloys so i'd be lucky to get a steel rim.

Bought the spray today so at least i know i have something although it was £15!

did you just get the one off Bothy? I can't see how that wheel won't be good enough as a spare (or how it can not be the right spec??) , especially considering how different the space saver wheels are to the normal wheels.

I think most steel wheels get crushed for the metal as the resale value as wheels is nothing (as you saw with the 99p set of 4 :eek: )

Maybe ask the scrapper to keep an eye on cars coming in and say you will give him a fiver for a suitable wheel or maybe even a tenner if it is in top nick :) )

I think the vauxhall pick-ups may have 16" steel wheels?

Guest Snowy3

Hoovie (still waiting for cosmic cat to re-appear btw) - i pulled a favour with a friend and got Bothys couried down from Scotland but when i went to the garage they compared it with the rims i have on and said it wouldnt be any good as my spare because the middle bit (offset i think he called it) was WAY more indented on Bothys rim. He reckoned if i had to put the spare wheel on - i wouldnt be able to steer the car as it would stick out a mile further than my others. If that makes any sense??

I See - I think the customising boys deal with this by using Spacers to move the wheels out, but you can't be faffing around with those just for a spare :no: Sounds like you need another Vauxhall wheel to keep everything the same :(

Cosmic cat is away on hols but will return :thumbsup: (I may have to put another hat on him so he doesn't get confused with GT4 Booster though)

Without wishing to worry you, I think you'd be better off trying to get 4 wheels all the same with the offset like the one Bothy donated. If, because of its offset (see picture) Bothy's wheel would stick out further than the GM ones you have, that means that at the moment the track of Snowy3 (next picture) is less than it would have been when it left the factory. With wheels with a bigger offset, the track would obviously increase and Snowy3 would be more stable. Did Bothy have any more steel wheels? Might be the best way to go...

I think Snowy3 came out of the factory with 16" wheels, the PCD (basically the diameter of a circle that passes through the 5 studs) of 114.3mm, an offset between 35 and 45mm and a centre hole (the "bore") of 67.1mm. (These are the important measurements when you come to look at alloys, as well)

wheel-offset-backspace.gif320px-Wheelbase_and_Track.png

If the steel wheel is wider, then its no wonder you're having problems skidding around! Sounds as if someone has got hold of cheap steels or whjatever and stuck them on cos they clear the calipers etc.

What you need is wheels which bring the proper wheelbase measurements back to the RAV. I have a 16" set of alloys (TSW) and I have 5 of them. 1 tyre is flat but all have good tread. The alloys are not perfect but look ok - I think they were still on the car when I took a photo and posted it on this forum. They run the 215/70 x 16 tyre size but give the RAV 4.1 a slightly wider wheelbase - just slight. I used them for a few years and found the handling much improved. Your welcome to have them as they are sitting in a pile behind my garage.

It would give you 5 wheels the same.

Alternatively, a new set of 5 would cost you less than £500 all in.

These TSW wheels are no longer made as fashions change - TSW are still in business tho.

I don't need them as my RAV has tio have 18" wheels to clear the racing calipers....and I've just bought a lightweight racing set for it - 6 spoke DARE....so I have 3 sets of 18" wheels now. The second RAV will wear the 18" alloys just taken off the 1st car....and will release a set of 16" alloys too!!! Only 4 on that but!

They can be shipped by pallet I believe, or individually.

Its up to you. At the moment, I don't have any plans to come south - my LPG minibus has blown a head gasket or worse.

Guest Snowy3

Thanks Robert6920 - what you have said does make sense. I have posted before saying that over 60mph Snowy3 seems 'skiddy' and i have had a dramatic skid resulting in my buckled wheel which is now the spare i'm trying to replace! and i have never skidded before in my life.

Bothy - Have you got a pic of the alloys? my steel wheels have rust bits on them so i'm not too fussy but was in two minds about alloys because i do like the look of the steel wheels (which i thought were originals!). However safety must come first. I 'may' be able to pull another favour with said courier company to get them shipped down to Derby where my garage is. BTW how do i donate to Active4All - i emailed them but no response so not sure?.

Thanks Robert6920 - what you have said does make sense. I have posted before saying that over 60mph Snowy3 seems 'skiddy' and i have had a dramatic skid resulting in my buckled wheel which is now the spare i'm trying to replace! and i have never skidded before in my life.

Bothy - Have you got a pic of the alloys? my steel wheels have rust bits on them so i'm not too fussy but was in two minds about alloys because i do like the look of the steel wheels (which i thought were originals!). However safety must come first. I 'may' be able to pull another favour with said courier company to get them shipped down to Derby where my garage is. BTW how do i donate to Active4All - i emailed them but no response so not sure?.

Snowy,

not sure about your timescales for Bothy's wheels but I'm going to Dundee on 20th September and coming back on 21st with just me in the RAV so could collect wheels then. Funnily enough I have to come down to Ilkeston the following week so could drop them off without any problem. Let me know if this helps.

Bothy - I assume that as you live in "the capital of Scotland", Bothwell is the one just south of the big city on the M74? Would the above arrangement work for you?

Best regards

Chris

RAV with TSW wheel fitted

This shows the RAV with the TSW alloy fitted, just before they had to come off to be able to fit the larger racing calipers for the brakes. As they won't fit my RAV any more, I can't take a full pic of them on the RAV now. It should at least give you a good idea of how they look. There's a wee plastic disc like a mini hub cap which fits onto each wheel covering the nuts. I can't remember the name of the wheel that TSW called them, but I did find them far stronger than the Toyota steel wheel.IMGP3523.jpg

You'll see from the mud splattered that the tyres are covered in mud as well - I just love muddy puddles!!!

Snowy,

not sure about your timescales for Bothy's wheels but I'm going to Dundee on 20th September and coming back on 21st with just me in the RAV so could collect wheels then. Funnily enough I have to come down to Ilkeston the following week so could drop them off without any problem. Let me know if this helps.

Bothy - I assume that as you live in "the capital of Scotland", Bothwell is the one just south of the big city on the M74? Would the above arrangement work for you?

Best regards

Chris

I live right next to the M74 - if you stop on the way north I could roll them down to you!! If Snowy3 feels ok with the wheels, PM me and I'll give you the exact address as its not Bothwell.....but not too far away!

Guest Snowy3

Snowy,

Best regards

Chris

Wow it must be my lucky day!! Chris that is very kind of you - i work in Derby so could actually get to Ilkeston no problem to save you the trouble of coming to Notts. Bothy - i like the looks of the wheels - it would solve two of my problems 1 - buckled spare rim and 2 - the fact i need two better tyres on my back wheels (garage said mine are 8 years old and a bit cheap and nasty :unsure: ).

Chris - i dont need the wheels urgently so your time scales are fantastic! i have a can of the spray stuff just in case of a punture before then *fingers crossed i wont need it!*.

Thank you both!

Those wheels look very nice :thumbsup:

Bothy can advise you best on this, but I *think* alloys need different wheel-studs to Steel wheels? You may need to invest in a set - and maybe get a set of locking wheel nuts as well if you don't already ;)

Snowy,

Best regards

Chris

Wow it must be my lucky day!! Chris that is very kind of you - i work in Derby so could actually get to Ilkeston no problem to save you the trouble of coming to Notts. Bothy - i like the looks of the wheels - it would solve two of my problems 1 - buckled spare rim and 2 - the fact i need two better tyres on my back wheels (garage said mine are 8 years old and a bit cheap and nasty :unsure: ).

Chris - i dont need the wheels urgently so your time scales are fantastic! i have a can of the spray stuff just in case of a punture before then *fingers crossed i wont need it!*.

Thank you both!

Sounds like a fix to me! I'll PM Bothy and make an arrangement to pick the wheels up. When I get back and have a day for my Ilkeston trip, I'll PM you and we can arrange a change over somewhere mutually convienient. 'Found a place in Leeds that refurbish alloy wheels but Bothy's look very respectable anyway.

Hey! - that will be SIX wheels in the back of the RAV, your/Bothy's five + the spare that I bought because I don't trust Mr T's repair kit. Think that it will be an opportunity to put the seats down!

Best regards

Chris

Guest Snowy3

Hey! - that will be SIX wheels in the back of the RAV, your/Bothy's five + the spare that I bought because I don't trust Mr T's repair kit. Think that it will be an opportunity to put the seats down!

Best regards

Chris

Good lord! def a seat down job! i'll have a clear out of Snowy so i can fit said wheels in.

Hoovie - good thinking! i have locking wheel nuts on my steel wheels at the mo but dont know if they will go on the alloys??

Those wheels look very nice :thumbsup:

Bothy can advise you best on this, but I *think* Alloys need different wheel-studs to Steel wheels? You may need to invest in a set - and maybe get a set of locking wheel nuts as well if you don't already ;)

I have a number of sets of wheels nuts - the existing steel studs on the wheel will be fine. I do need to check the nuts, as some of them were modified to fit my last set of 18" wheels. Not a problem as Ian at Autoimage has a 5 ton box of wheel nuts!!!! The nuts I got for the alloys were to suit the RAV stud. I think the nut needs to go on at least 4 threads to 5 threads (turns?) but I'll find that and check it on my own RAV first. I can still try the wheels on my rear axles and spare wheel carrier to ensure nuts are correct.

The RAV is still running with original hubs, apart from 1 which was replaced, and another which I bought from Mr Kingo but hasn't been fitted yet. But its standard Toyota hubs and studs.

On the locking nut question, the nuts I have use an adapter like an oversized allan key. Its not a socket as usual....I'll need to get hold of another adaptor key for the nuts - they double as a locking nut and I never had a problem with any wheels getting nicked - not even the spare on the back - must have flummaxed any potential crim with a socket set!!

Apparently GM means General Motors so the mechanic reckons they are vauxhall made rims. But the Vauxhall scrap yard said most 16" are alloys so i'd be lucky to get a steel rim.

I know the plan is to get Bothys Wheels and that sounds by far the best plan to me, but I was clicking around RAV4WORLD and came across this post.... http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16945

Wonder if your wheels are proper RAV4 Wheels made for Toyota by GM? :unsure:

Wonder if your wheels are proper RAV4 Wheels made for Toyota by GM? :unsure:

Hoovie, that could be true, but it wouldn't explain why the offset is different to the Rav steel wheel that Bothy sent. I reckon Snowy3's much better off with Bothy's alloys

Guest Snowy3

Hoovie - interesting! maybe your right about the wheels. The guy at one of the scrap yards seemed to think they were the originals. But as Robert6920 mentioned it's odd that there was so much difference between my wheels and Bothy's wheel - mine have hardly any offset and Bothys had a good couple of inches.

i do think Snowy3 will look G8 with those nice looking alloys and maybe having some better tyres will help with the stability as well.

Bothy - if you have some locking nuts that would be fantastic - i do live in Nottingham y'know, we have to bolt everything down round here!

I've 4 steel rims for a 4.1 if you are interested, virtually new but wont fit my 4.2!

alloys look nice when clean, but steel rims are much less hassel!

I would not trust gum gum stuff, cos it'll only work on smallest of punctures & is a pain to remove.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links