Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Problem-weird Noise

vti-chris

I do not know how Toyota crews do their work but 7 hours for replacing the clutch is long time. Just call any garage and ask for estimate. It should take no longer than 3,5-4 hours unless they are planning very long road test. If they do the job after warranty expires then 7x£90/h= £630+£110VAT +parts :eek: for clutch replacement (£90+VAT is what my local T charges).

Second: many of use reported similar issue. Does it mean that clutch pressure plate is badly engineered? It is just a round piece of metal.

It's far from just a round piece of metal!

It's a sandwich of the wear plate waterial with a flexible plate in the middle (that provides you the ability to modulate the clutch for clutch control). The hub isn't directly connected to this sandwich. There's a set of springs around that that take up the thump as the gears engage when you change gear.

OK, maybe it is not just a piece of metal but the point is it is not that complex and Toyota doesn't make their own. They probably use third party suppliers as Sachs or Aisin. What I am afraid of could be design fault and changing the clutch/pressure plate is just a temporary cure vide early models of Astra. I hope I am wrong.

My wife had Alfa 147 and similar issues. They said nothing big, changed clutch, bearing etc under warranty. Complete gearbox failure after 4 years, 40k miles. Cost of replacement 3,5k. That is why maybe I am overreacting now :)

Is the noise you guys are talking about a knock/clunk type noise, typically with the car in neutral. You press the pedal and when you let it go you get the noise?

Blacknight, you asked the question above, a few posts back in this topic, and i,m curious as to what you may know, basically my car also made the noise you describe with the engine in idle, and the gearbox in neutral, and you press the clutch and let it back up, and you get the clunk type noise.

also, regarding the clutch pressure plate, what i want to know is would , or could it be responsible for the clunk noise when letting the clutch pedal back up , because as said i want to be sure before letting my dealership loose on the car.

Sachs Pressure Plate

Sachs pressure plate is a durable and reliable brand that can function as efficiently as the original pressure plate of your vehicle. It has undergone a series of rigorous product testing and earned the approval of the automobile manufacturers. Nonetheless, doubts and hesitations among automobile owners cannot totally be eliminated when it comes to purchasing an aftermarket automotive product such as the Sachs pressure plate. Nobody would want to experience a complete breakdown of their automobile in the middle of nowhere just because they have chosen the wrong product.

However, when it comes to reliable automotive components, the Sachs brand is a trusted name. Generally, a pressure plate is part of the clutch system. It contains a clutch plate, springs, cover and release fingers. Its main function is to apply pressure to the clutch disc so that torque can be transferred from the engine flywheel to the transmission and into the wheels.

The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel, sandwiching the clutch disc. Sachs pressure plate is commonly the diaphragm type rather than the spring type. As you step on the clutch pedal the pressure plate disengages from the clutch plate, allowing you to shift gears. This repetitive process, however, results in the wear and tear of the pressure plate and clutch disc due to friction and load. Hence, the mechanism eventually deteriorates. There are several indications of a defective pressure plate. One such indication is the clutch chatter which you may hear every time you step on the clutch pedal or when the clutch is engaged. Typically, the clutch and pressure plate are worn-out at relatively similar rate. Hence, they may be simultaneously replaced. Buying the right automotive product to replace your damaged pressure plate is very easy. Just browse our online catalog for convenience.

<< Back To Performance Brands

I have just found this information on a site advertising Sachs pressure plates , it does leave me wondering if my dealers have found the correct fault, bearing in mind that the clonk noise has been there virtually from the off

Is the noise you guys are talking about a knock/clunk type noise, typically with the car in neutral. You press the pedal and when you let it go you get the noise?

Blacknight, you asked the question above, a few posts back in this topic, and i,m curious as to what you may know,

Because I suspect it's related to this

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=PSZYeTX...9&ct=result

Hi guys

I expressed my concerns to my dealer regarding having the clutch pressure plate changed, and asked how they could tell that there was a problem with the pressure plate,

I was told that they attach a tester to the car called an I.T2 [ Intelligent Tester ] via a scart lead , there are various censors all over the car, which in turn send information back to the tester

the information recieved by the I.T2 was that the pressure plate was faulty.

I asked if they would be changing the pressure plate only, and was told they will be changing the clutch & pressure plate as a pair ....

its the clutch i am having a new one on monday

its down to alinement of the gearbox input shaft and clutch

will let you all know how i go on

Well guys, the clutch has been replaced , and i have the car back, I can tell you that the " clank " noise is still present .

However i found that when i let the clutch up slowly after gear change , there was no noise, but let the clutch up quick when shifting through the gears, and... clank.

So there we have it , its either a characteristic of the car ?, or i still have a fault :fear:

On the plus side , gear change feels a little smoother.

I forgot to ask the service manager if i would have to take it easy with the car now , i.e , run it in again ? , so any advice on that would be most welcome .

One other thing i would like to know is, has anyone had a plastic carrier bag stick to the middle section of their exhaust [ LOL ] , only i had one stick to mine , and it had literally moulded itself on, it was giving off quite a stink , so i asked my dealers if they could remove it, and they have , only problem is , the smell is worse than ever, and i am now getting the smell inside the car, with the windows up, i asked what was used to remove the bag and was told an " Angle Grinder " :fear: fitted wih a blade that can cut through plastics e.c.t, but not through metal, i have checked underneath , and i can see a few light scratches to the exhaust , but no real damage , the bag is gone , so i can't understand why the smell is worse,... if anyone has got any ideas on how to get rid of the smell ? please can you let me know.

Cheers :bye:

After reading this what can I say I also have a noise in my clutch pedal but it sounds more like a faulty spring. When changing gear from 1st to 2nd I also hear a noise not a clunck but kinda like something is not oiled and plastic is rubbing. These Auris is a problems nightmare.

Hello all

Had the clutch and the flywheel changed over the 2 days

picked the car up today and the noise has gone i asked questions on the dual mass flywheel and will the noise return

the dealer assures me it will not :D

time will tell but for now it is not there i cover about 500 miles per week that should be a good enough road test i think

i now have a few issues with the dealer who repaired the car on what they did during the repair and what i picked up

when i picked up the auris from the dealer going back tomorrow :angry:

again will keep all informed

Hello all

Had the clutch and the flywheel changed over the 2 days

picked the car up today and the noise has gone i asked questions on the dual mass flywheel and will the noise return

the dealer assures me it will not :D

time will tell but for now it is not there i cover about 500 miles per week that should be a good enough road test i think

i now have a few issues with the dealer who repaired the car on what they did during the repair and what i picked up

when i picked up the auris from the dealer going back tomorrow :angry:

again will keep all informed

They changed the clutch & pressure plate on mine , and the noise is still there , they change the clutch & flywheel on yours and the noise is gone , HMMM interesting.

Please excuse my ignorance but whats a dual mass flywheel ?

I think i am about to crack up , i have just reversed into my drive and the rear brakes are making that awful sound again , for gods sake can they not do anything &#33;Removed&#33; right, they change the clutch and it still makes a clank , they also fitted the modified rear brake parts & skimmed the pads [ again ] , and within hours they are &#33;Removed&#33; howling again, not sure i can take much more :ffs: HELLLLLP

I took the car back to my dealers yesterday , and was seen by their Master Technician , he listened to the clanck noise, both in idle and during gear change , he told me that it was a normal characteristic of the clutch , something to do with the springs e.c.t ..... He did give me a full explanation on the workings of the clutch & why the noise happens , but i could,nt realy take it in , as i had started to lose the will to live , i think .

I also asked him about the dual mass fly wheel , he said that my model [ 1.6 petrol ] did not have one , as it is only fitted to the bigger engine's , 2.0 diesles e.c.t .

Next up was the rear brakes , i reversed in and out of a parking space , about 4 times to replicate the noise , but as sods law would have it , silence , not a &#33;Removed&#33; peep . I assured him that the brakes were making a noise, but was told to give it a week as the new parts sometimes need a little bit of time to bed in , so that was how we left it.

I arrive home and i back into the drive , and yes you,ve guessed it , the brakes make that &#33;Removed&#33; awful sound again , so i guess i,ll be back at the dealers somtime next week , i just hope they can get to the bottom of the problem & sort it . I know others on the forum have had the rear brake modification carried out successfully, without any recurrence of noise , and i would like to know what remedial work was done , then check to see if mine have had the same, because right now the noise on my back brakes, is worse now than it ever was before.

Opppppppppppppppppppppppppppps spoke too soon folks

i have now got a problem................ <_< picked up the car yesterday and i have 2 problems

i say yesterday because its been back and forth to the dealer all week :ffs:

after the changed the clutch all was ok but now having problems changing gear until engine gets a medium hot

having trouble with 1st 2nd and reverse gears

this only came to light after a quick run to my local town, phoned the dealer they are now saying its poss got the wrong gearbox oil they use 2 types i have been told :help:

but thats not the best run the car for about 45 mins today after dropping my daughter off at her friends

i have done about a total off 15 miles if that and guess what...............................

THE NOISE FROM THE GEARBOX IS BACK :arrgg-matey: :arrgg-matey: Stopped the car outside the house and could here a chattering noise when i switched the enging off :censor:

restared the enging and blipped the throttle just abouve 1,000 rpm and there was the chatter a little fainter but still there

i am afraid this time it is internal because the incorrect oil has changed the tone of the chatter ,so if it gets the correct oil then the chatter will be back to full glory

Now i am p***ed off i was told that was the fault and now it is not the clutch at all

i suspected it was the gearbox all along (my background is a Automotive Technician working with BMW Jaguar and Bentley) i am back at the dealer on sat 1st of november will keep all informed on the progress

But to be fair the Tech who looked at the Auris from the dealer did as much as he could in the short period of time and much thanks to him sorting out the other probs i had after the clutch replacement

I won't be surprised if the Auris naming just disapeers from Toyota in 5 years or so (more or less the time a model becomes overrun). This is probably the worst Toyota ever. It was my first time with a Toyota and I'm very disappointed I will hardly buy another Toyota again. I'm not sure but the Auris is probably the "big" car R&D in Europe more specially in Belgium I think the other one is the Yaris as far as I know. Just a question why Belgium? Doesn't have history in car manufacturing or even a car brand I think it was a bad move from Toyota to open an R&D there specially because it's not even a low cost country. Anyway as far as I know they could R&D him in Antarctica as long as we didn't have problems....

I agree. The car is disaster and has a very long list of faults which can not be resolved by Toyota because they simply don't know how. I can live with rusty wheel nuts or rattling dashboard but not with funny noises from gearbox or engine as I don't want to guess what is going to happen after warranty expired. Toyota has some bad history with that. I am looking to buy a new car for my wife within next six months but that definitely will not be Toyota. I have never been so disappointed with any of my cars before.

Opppppppppppppppppppppppppppps spoke too soon folks

i have now got a problem................ <_< picked up the car yesterday and i have 2 problems

i say yesterday because its been back and forth to the dealer all week :ffs:

after the changed the clutch all was ok but now having problems changing gear until engine gets a medium hot

having trouble with 1st 2nd and reverse gears

this only came to light after a quick run to my local town, phoned the dealer they are now saying its poss got the wrong gearbox oil they use 2 types i have been told :help:

but thats not the best run the car for about 45 mins today after dropping my daughter off at her friends

i have done about a total off 15 miles if that and guess what...............................

THE NOISE FROM THE GEARBOX IS BACK :arrgg-matey: :arrgg-matey: Stopped the car outside the house and could here a chattering noise when i switched the enging off :censor:

restared the enging and blipped the throttle just abouve 1,000 rpm and there was the chatter a little fainter but still there

i am afraid this time it is internal because the incorrect oil has changed the tone of the chatter ,so if it gets the correct oil then the chatter will be back to full glory

Now i am p***ed off i was told that was the fault and now it is not the clutch at all

i suspected it was the gearbox all along (my background is a Automotive Technician working with BMW Jaguar and Bentley) i am back at the dealer on sat 1st of november will keep all informed on the progress

But to be fair the Tech who looked at the Auris from the dealer did as much as he could in the short period of time and much thanks to him sorting out the other probs i had after the clutch replacement

Hi Cvalent,

I have just read your last post, and i must say that i feel for you,.... on the face of it , it doe's appear that they have made your problem worse,

I find it unbelievable that they can't even select the correct gear oil for your car, :eek: so what chance, getting the mechanical stuff right.

In principal the Auris is what should be a great car, but as we have found to our detriment , it has been badly let down by poor quality parts / materials used in its making , and the car is begining to become a bit of a burden to many.

However i am sure that some Auris owners are totally happy with their purchase , i for one though would give it back at the drop of a hat , if only that was possible , and obtain a full refund , but as i live in the real world , i appreciate that , that would prove somewhat very difficult , if not impossible :censor:

• 1 year later...

I have 1.6 so no turbo and I can hear the noise. My gearbox has been already changed once and I did some research online. It looks like there were quite few Auris drivers with faults like mine (don't really know what it was as Toyota only said they were not sure what was wrong :unsure: )

Auris was developed in France so I am afraid is going to share PSA cars quality ;)

:help: Hi I to have a 1.6 that has a strange noise at around 15-20 mph. I can only describe it as a reverberating noise a bit like the wind noise you sometimes get when the window is open. Do you think it could be gearbox noise ? Mr T had it for a day and told it it was road noise from the tyres but surely if that was true it would do it all the time. Could you also send me any links to the online research you carried out. Many Thanks Chris

If you suspect gearbox then see if dipping the clutch and shifting to neutral stops it (coasting in other words). Keep the clutch depressed. If the noise stops it's not tyre noise.

If it's tyre/road noise it should be obvious I would have thought.

If you suspect gearbox then see if dipping the clutch and shifting to neutral stops it (coasting in other words). Keep the clutch depressed. If the noise stops it's not tyre noise.

If it's tyre/road noise it should be obvious I would have thought.

Thanks for that i'll give it a try and keep you posted.

are you guys that wrote on this thread some time ago still experiencing the dang/clank/clunk or however you describe it when letting the clutch out most noticably going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gear.

also does everyone else when engine running and in nuetral when stationary when letting clutch out get a clicking noise ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links