Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Xcarlink Or Scangauge Ii ?

zoom jones

Hi all,

Have had the new Rav for a week now and love it to bits, well the missus does I never get to drive it but alas it is her car!

In our old MR2 I put in a bluetooth headunit that allowed us to drop in an SD card with our tracks on and also hook up the old mobile phone. The unit worked so well I even installed a similar one (slightly better actually ;) ) in my own car. Anyway when we sold the MR2 we removed it and put the old Alpine CD head unit back in to sell on with the car.

Onto the Rav... Which has a CD changer which currently doesn't work. Not a huge problem as the other half is enjoying the radio on her commute so no worries there but I know it won't be long before she wants her own music. We're tech junkies so fixing the CD changer isn't much of an option really, all our new music is on mp3 which we move around streaming media players, SD cards, 8gb usb pens, iPods and the like. We much prefer the flexibility and efficiency the new mediums offer. So, I'm let off trying to resolve the CD Changer issue which is good as so far as I can tell there is no power in the cable feeding it at all.

So to the dilemma. We want SD card / USB playability with blue tooth connectivity and most importantly we want to preserve the functionality within the existing Toyota head unit that allows us to track MPG, outside temp etc, which we've now become quite accustomed to. I have to confess we had no idea this functionality came in the head unit when we got the car, it was a nice surprise.

The way I see there are 2 ways to do it:

1) Install the old SD Card/ Blue tooth head unit in the dash (we have the adaptor plate already) and get a scangauge II for the computer functions. Scangauge

2) Keep the existing head unit and get an XCarlink cable that allows mp3's to be played from an SD card and USB pen plus it can act as a blue tooth headset.

XCarlink

There are pros and cons to both procedures, not least the first method is certainly 'dirtier' but I'd be interested to know how others who have faced this dilemma have handled it. I have read the post on the chap creating his own MPG interface and display but it's not an option for us, far too complex. I like the Scangauge functionality but I'm not sure Mrs ZJ will appreciate all the paraphenalia.

So, has this been a common problem? If so how have people got around it? Is the XCarlink really any good? Thanks

Think I would go with your X carlink. You have very limited options anyway if you want to keep the trip

computer info. Try asking a member called Bitman, he has changed to a full screen all singing and dancing

Kenwood ICE.

Hi Zoom,

One word of caution to mention just in case you hadn't considered it ....... the XCarLink works by using the CD Changer port. Given your current CD Changer issues I guess it IS a possibility the problem is with the CD Changer port on the head unit?

One other option that is non vehicle-specific would be a FM-Based solution, with the hard-wired ones that mount between the radio and the arial being very clear quality.

I like the look of the Scanguage II as well, but the built-in function of the Toyota head unit is nice and easy to use so I have the same hestitation as you there.

Solve yer problem more easily - retire an watch day time TV! After a week, you'll be re-programmed yersel! :lol:

Hi Zoom,

One word of caution to mention just in case you hadn't considered it ....... the XCarLink works by using the CD Changer port. Given your current CD Changer issues I guess it IS a possibility the problem is with the CD Changer port on the head unit?

Balls, that's one thing I hadn't thought of. I sort of assumed the issue would be a snag in the lead somewhere. You're right though the port at the back maybe ca-put.

Bothwell - retiring not really an option with a small person coming! Missus will be on maternity soon so we'll have a world of other things to deal with so maybe this will be less of an issue. Or maybe it will be more of an issue as we'll need to have on demand nursery rhymes! Argh!

Hi Zoom,

Balls, that's one thing I hadn't thought of. I sort of assumed the issue would be a snag in the lead somewhere. You're right though the port at the back maybe ca-put.

Zoom - I was very kindly donated a 58812 Head Unit recently - which is quite likely the one you have also. I got that to actually use the carcase and connections, so if you like, you could try a swap to see if that makes any difference to your current CD-Changer issue?

If if fixes it, then sorted :thumbsup: - you have lots of options

If it doesn't fix it, then it eliminates the CD-Changer port as being faulty unless you are REALLY unlucky.

I come to Berkshire (Reading/Wokingham) fairly often, so PM me if you would like to try this.

Hoovie, great offer thank you, I may well take you up on it after I've done a bit more investigation first.

Am I right in thinking any double DIN stereo will fit in the gap offered?

Hoovie, great offer thank you, I may well take you up on it after I've done a bit more investigation first.

I think you need a couple of small trim pieces for the sides.

I think you need a couple of small trim pieces for the sides.

Like Dave says for the front.

Here is a photo of the side with a tape so you can see the measurements.

post-29315-1219142140_thumb.jpg

You may need to consider the depth, and make sure the cables are out the way?

Given some of the units guys have fitted, I think you would be ok with most Double-Din systems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links