Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Boot Problems

drdanny

hello!

i have an avenis t3-s d4-d ...

in short, the boot wants to shut and will not

stay up when i open it ...

can anyone tell me if this is an easily rectified problem?

cheers

danny

Not sure of the layout/mechanics for the Avensis, but it WILL be easily rectifiable.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you some more useful advice !

Good luck

Could be that you need new support struts?

( I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if the Avensis used struts or a big spring ! )

Gas struts lose pressure after a while. If you don't particularly want to fork out on new ones there's a company in Derby called Status Fluid power that regas them for a fraction of the cost. They do a 'same day' postal service so you don't even have to travel if you're too far away. They are usually fairly easy to remove/refit.

Good luck

I don't remember seeing any struts (with presure) on Avensis boot. Anyway, I am also sure that it can be fixed EASILY. If I remember correctly, there are two thin axes connecting the left and right struts of the boot. These axes are held together with a plastic holder residing in the middled of these axes. Perhaps something that you put on the boot displaced the axes (it has happened to me twice- there was a loss of feedback from the boot and a crack/click feeling every time I opened/closed the boot - I fixed the error by putting back these axes correctly). Check these axes against a WORKING boot and let us know...

Frape

Enjoy

PS1: You will need a working boot to see the correct possition of these axes...

PS2: Can somebody send a photo of the correct possition of these axes...

Could be that you need new support struts?

( I was thinking that, but wasn't sure if the Avensis used struts or a big spring ! )

Gas struts lose pressure after a while. If you don't particularly want to fork out on new ones there's a company in Derby called Status Fluid power that regas them for a fraction of the cost. They do a 'same day' postal service so you don't even have to travel if you're too far away. They are usually fairly easy to remove/refit.

Good luck

hi

thanks very very much for the help so far!

2781160648_6b4762a5d0.jpg

this might not be the most helpful pic but im hoping someone can

use it to explain to me exactly what i need to do ...

im not desperate to send any parts away for re-gassing if this can

be avoided ...

i dont have access to a 'working' boot to compare and contrast ...

can anyone suggest what i need to look at / try and do?

i can take more pictures of course if this would help ...

thanks

danny

Hmm, just for the record, my previous e-mail was about my Avensis which is a 4-door model. From the picture, I see that you have the 5-door model, so my experience cannot be of any help to you...

To drdanny,

Picture explains problem. You don't have boot as in a saloon, it's a liftback as in tourer aswell. Your struts have probably seen better days & will not hold up liftback. I would imagine that is your problem as you have no other mechanism on your car to hold Lift/hatch back up. To heavy for worn struts.

i have Avensis SE 1999 Liftback, if your boot doesn't want to stay open it can only be one problem, its the black shocks on the boot that are shown on your picture, you either get them fixed, or replace them depends on price, I personally would replace them, nothing beats a new part.

Steve

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links