Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Ignition Problems

allan-d

It seems the ignition transponder on my 2000W corolla 1.6 vvti is jiggered.Does anyone know if I can replace just the transponder or do I have to go the whole hog and replace the keys, barrel and ecu as well.

"It seems the ignition transponder on my 2000W corolla 1.6 vvti is jiggered"

How do you know this ? (-appologies for this question)

What sort of alarm and key set do you have? - is it a seperate alarm 'fob' or are the buttons included in the key as an 'all in one'?

Are batteries okay in fob! - sorry to ask that and I'm sure you checked that but you would be shocked who doesn't!

No the keys, barrel and ecu will not need replacing! ...unfortunately some places claim that they all may... ...don't be fobbed off.

I know that Autodata list a procedure for coding/initiallising new alarm/imobiliser fobs for pre 2000 models.

"It seems the ignition transponder on my 2000W corolla 1.6 vvti is jiggered"

How do you know this ? (-appologies for this question)

What sort of alarm and key set do you have? - is it a seperate alarm 'fob' or are the buttons included in the key as an 'all in one'?

Are batteries okay in fob! - sorry to ask that and I'm sure you checked that but you would be shocked who doesn't!

No the keys, barrel and ecu will not need replacing! ...unfortunately some places claim that they all may... ...don't be fobbed off.

I know that Autodata list a procedure for coding/initiallising new alarm/imobiliser fobs for pre 2000 models.

The fault was diagnosed at my local garage, it has physical damage. they quoted me £224 +vat for switch, barrel and transponder but I'm not paying this unless I have no other option.

Key is two button type, Battery is fine.

I'm not clear on what exactly the transponder does, is it merely an amplifier that sends key code to ecu or does it process the key code somehow?

No need to apologise for asking basic questions, it's that sort of stuff all too easily overlooked

I'm not clear on what exactly the transponder does, is it merely an amplifier that sends key code to ecu or does it process the key code somehow?

Vehicle transponders were introduced (in Europe at least) due to German Insurance bodies refusing to underwrite vehicles that did not have some form of passive electronic immobilisation. ‘Passive’ meaning that no action had to be carried out by the user to 'arm/immobilise' the system.

A transponder system has two primary components being the processor/interrogator and a microchip (the transponder) built within the head of the key. The processor usually interacts with the fuel injection and other vehicle electronics systems.

If the processor recognises the code number, it then allows the starter motor, fuel pump and/or fuel injection systems to function, and allow the vehicle to start. A common sign of a faulty or absent transponder is that the vehicle will start but will only run for a few seconds.

---so after reading that you will realise that the ‘transponder chip’ is in your key!

Thus the statement:

The fault was diagnosed at my local garage, it has physical damage. they quoted me £224 +vat for switch, barrel and transponder

Confuses me!

Are they claiming both your keys have physical damage? Or that every ‘item’ the transponder ‘signals to’ is ‘physically damaged ! ! ! ?

I feel that a trip to your local main dealer (yes I AM serious) and a question about this to the friendly service manager will be VERY helpful – this is exactly the sort of problem they get – and age of vehicle is not a concern in this case – they will be happy to help.

As a sidenote a pair of new keys (and coded) from Toyota main dealer would NOT cost £224+vat

AND ...

If you wish to 'print off' and show my 'drivel' :lol: to the local garage who " quoted you £224 +vat for switch, barrel and transponder"

Then please do so with my FULL compliments!

But pleeeeeease ... kept it polite and friendly ;)

Vehicle transponders were introduced (in Europe at least) due to German Insurance bodies refusing to underwrite vehicles that did not have some form of passive electronic immobilisation. ‘Passive’ meaning that no action had to be carried out by the user to 'arm/immobilise' the system.

A transponder system has two primary components being the processor/interrogator and a microchip (the transponder) built within the head of the key. The processor usually interacts with the fuel injection and other vehicle electronics systems.

If the processor recognises the code number, it then allows the starter motor, fuel pump and/or fuel injection systems to function, and allow the vehicle to start. A common sign of a faulty or absent transponder is that the vehicle will start but will only run for a few seconds.

---so after reading that you will realise that the ‘transponder chip’ is in your key!

Thus the statement:

The fault was diagnosed at my local garage, it has physical damage. they quoted me £224 +vat for switch, barrel and transponder

Confuses me!

Are they claiming both your keys have physical damage? Or that every ‘item’ the transponder ‘signals to’ is ‘physically damaged ! ! ! ?

I feel that a trip to your local main dealer (yes I AM serious) and a question about this to the friendly service manager will be VERY helpful – this is exactly the sort of problem they get – and age of vehicle is not a concern in this case – they will be happy to help.

As a sidenote a pair of new keys (and coded) from Toyota main dealer would NOT cost £224+vat

Okaay... as I understood it- there is an inductor coil within the plastic shroud surrounding the keyhole, this senses the presence of the key and then passes the signal to a circuit board that is situated on top of the ignition barrel. It is this circuit board and coil assembly I thought is called a transponder and it seems this is what is damaged. What I need to know is can I replace this with either a new or second hand part without having to re-program keys or ecu.

( Dry stuff this. It's the most technical I've been for donkey's years. I think it shows :unsure: )

^

Right with ya now.

How I see it Keys (which may have to be new!) will need programing at least (best to have done by main dealer)

It seems the ignition transponder on my 2000W corolla 1.6 vvti is jiggered.Does anyone know if I can replace just the transponder or do I have to go the whole hog and replace the keys, barrel and ecu as well.

I've now answered the question myself: You can replace the transponder amplifier (referred to in the Haynes manual and elsewhere as the transponder and as distinct from the transponder in the key itself) without having the keys or ecu reprogrammed. It doesn't matter if it's a new or used part.

Thanks Twincam for your input, but it's now clear that the amplifier does not play any part in in the coding/decoding process

No thanks to Toyota main dealer who initially said the ignition barrel was at fault, which would involve new keys and reprogramming.

No thanks to the auto locksmith who charged me £105 for twenty minutes work to tell me it was the ignition switch, he was only partly right, but having said that couldn't be bothered to check further.

Part thanks to my local garage who told me exactly what was wrong and attempted to fix it, but who also told me I needed to spend £370 on parts and labour.

I bought a new toyota switch on eBay for £46 delivered and a new amplifier for £92 from the main dealer and fitted them both myself.

Moral: Don't buy a !Removed! motor car, get a job you can walk to.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links