Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does The Latest Celica (53 Reg) Have A Cam Belt Or A Timing Belt?

mcskiver

Not a mechanic as you can tell from the title!

I have a Celica and it's on about 58,000 miles, and haven't had the cam belt mentioned in any of my previous services even though they were all Toyota dealerships. What does this Celica have, and if it's a timing belt does it still need changing? If it's a cam belt then is it well overdue?

I've searched on here and on Google, and haven't been able to come up with a clear answer, so help would be much appreciated....

Not a mechanic as you can tell from the title!

I have a Celica and it's on about 58,000 miles, and haven't had the cam belt mentioned in any of my previous services even though they were all Toyota dealerships. What does this Celica have, and if it's a timing belt does it still need changing? If it's a cam belt then is it well overdue?

I've searched on here and on Google, and haven't been able to come up with a clear answer, so help would be much appreciated....

Hey mate, the cam-belt and timing-belt are the same thing, just different names

Click For Your Answer!

And i had mine changed at 70,000 miles. Best to change it if you have just bought the car with a 58,000 miles on the clock, piece of mind

Hi,

The Gen7 Celica engine (both 140 & 190) have timing chains, not belts. They're designed to last well over 100k, so no need to worry about that yet !!!

S.

the celica doesnt have a cam belt it is chain driven,the only belt is the belt for the alternator,air con and power steering

Different replies here too I see!

@gt4WRC : I know they have the same function, buy my understanding is that a cambelt needs replacing anywhere between 40k (my old Renault Laguna) and 60-70k in other cars, whereas a timing chain can last 100k+ miles, so in terms of maintenance it seems to make a massive difference. Cheers though.

So essentially I don't need to worry about changing it?

Thanks again for all the responses.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links