Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 Brakes

paulboy

Hi All,

I have been the proud owner of a 54 reg five door Rav4 for 9 days now and I am very pleased with the car. A few years ago I owned an N reg three door model but this newer one is light years ahead in terms of equipment and it is such an elegant looking car and a real pleasure to drive.

The brakes on this car are excellent but I have noticed that there is a definite squeal coming from them so I am going to get them checked out. My question is this; if I do need to replace the pads and possibly discs are there any worthwhile upgrades that can be fitted in place of the standard Toyota set up? Has anyone here upgraded or changed their brakes and if so was there a worthwhile improvement?

Thanks,

Paul.

You can mod your brakes to any degree - you have to decide what you want to achieve. And your budget.

the conversion I did cost the best part of £3,000. But then its not made by Toyota and they seem to work better than the original equipment. Time will tell and the jury's out.

You can muck about changing pad type and disc style. Most on here believe that toyota stuff is best quality. My experience is the exact opposite. So views will be different.

If you really feel the need to upgrade your brakes check out Tar.Ox's website - here.

A quick look through the catalogue section seems to say that they do brakes for a RAV 4.2.

:thumbsup:

Not done anything to the brakes. To me they seem fine as they are for normal driving and do the job.

One thing which I have noticed is that the ABS seems to be quite sensitive and often comes on at junctions where there may be a little bit of 'road gravel'

One thing which I have noticed is that the ABS seems to be quite sensitive and often comes on at junctions where there may be a little bit of 'road gravel'

yeah, i got the same some times. my missus was very upset the first time when this happened. but after explaining her how this works all was ok. ;)

The RAV 4.2 brakes are excellent, even though a tad sensitive. Toyota OEM brakes are superb on this model and I don't think you need to upgrade (personally speaking)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Squeal or grinding? Our mechanic recently discovered all the pads on our Rav were fitted backwards, not sure how that's even possible but there you go. This didn't do much for the noise under braking or safety for that matter!

Kingo is right (I think he's been on hols!)

The OEM Toyota pads are absolutely first class and cannot be bettered by normal road going pads. Bothy's conversion is more toward competetion use but the trouble is they need warming up for best results and are overkill for on road use. He needs them for slowing down after breaking the sound barrier on the M74.

The regular pads have an "audible" wear indicator. This is simply a piece of bent metal that protrudes past the backplate and eventually contacts the disc. When you hear the squeal it is time to change them.

It is quite possible to fit the pads backwards (with the backplate to the disc) and trust me it is not uncommon. It is the work of a numpty who should be shot. With these things in mind it is time to check but trust me, you should contact kingo who will post you the genuine pads. They are quite simply superb.

I will shortly post the instructions for fitting them.

Anchorman: Kingo is right (I think he's been on hols!)

Just an extralong W/End AM, had some friends over from Germany :beer:

Back on topic, the squeal shims certainly do there job when touching the disc and it concentrates the mind to have them checked out, PM me your details for prices

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links