Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diy Tinting

Guest Snowy3

Guest Snowy3

I want to get the back windows of Snowy tinted so its a bit more secure when i leave random rubbish in the back so was wondering about buying this do it yourself tinting kit from Halfords. I am a pauper at the moment so can't afford to have it done properly. Any advice? i saw on the web that some companies do pre-cut back window tint but none seem to do my model of RAV. Halfords kits are £18 for a roll. I only want to do the rear window and the back passenger side bits. Is it worth the money? are there any better kits available.

Hi Snowy, just my opinion, but if I were you I would wait till funds allow a proper job. I just think its one

of those jobs that would look a real mess if not applied right. :thumbsup:

I bought some of this stuff from Halfords and applied it to my Celica way back in the 90's

Cur it to size, then spent about 3 hours or more carefully going around eliminating all the bubbles .... and then ripped it all off again and threw it in the bin.

I don't know how these guys do it, but they earn the money! (I'm with Dave.M )

LO mate.... :thumbsup:

I will go with what the others are saying...

I've had my avensis and now my rav tinted by pentagon in reading and must say they are top knotch!

I have seen some of me mates cars where they did a good job (so they thought) on their windows, only to be hacked off when the stuff started to come off and look shabby...

Save up your pennies and get a pro to do it, Im sure whoever you go with would also offer life time guarante on their workmanship.... One thing I liked about Pentagon was that should the coppers not like the fact I've got a dark smoke tint on me driver and fron passenger windows and would be asked to get it removed.... pentagon would do it for free...

Some things should be left to those who are pro's at it... and I think this is one of the jobs better left up to them...

Regards

Rob

Rob, have you got a pic of your tint? One thing I am not keen on re most tints on cars nowadays is the "Van" look with such a contrast front and rear and it sounds like yours is much more balanced :thumbsup:

Snowy, if you are concerned about the security side, there is a product called "toad" which is a security film that can also be tinted - stops the windows being smashed by a brick, etc.

KISS

Keep It Simple Stupid

Paint yer windies wi white limewash. Thats whit onybidy daein their hoose up does. Naebidy can see in. £2.99

Yeah got a pic or two...

Not sure if this will work as I aint created links from other topics nor tried to ref to them...

However if it doesnt work then go to the Picture bit on this formum and I think theres a decent few pics of Big Red on about page 36 (I think)....

Right then.. :D

Thought it was time to post some more images of Big Red.... ;)

unlike my last post of her which was in the Weymouth area... This time we ventured north of the border into

Bothy coutry :cowboy:

... Bothers you might recognise the area... Its a well nice drive up there....

So as per Chatmans how to post images... here goes it...

Rav1.jpg

Rav4.jpg

Rav5.jpg

Excellent.. it worked 1st time! Top banana Chatman..... :band::clap::toast::yahoo::band:

Regards

Rob

B)

The local Farmer wasnt to pleased... :D

You know I ait even noticed it and it did'nt even scratch the paintwork.... :lol:

Thanks for the comment.. Me rav will be complete when (if ever) I get the side steps added but I do think the tints make the Rav look nicer - if that is at all possible... :huh:

regards

Rob

B)

The local Farmer wasnt to pleased... :D

You know I ait even noticed it and it did'nt even scratch the paintwork.... :lol:

Thanks for the comment.. Me rav will be complete when (if ever) I get the side steps added but I do think the tints make the Rav look nicer - if that is at all possible... :huh:

regards

Rob

B)

Hi,

Totally agree that the Rav looks the part with tinted windows and with buying the XT5 , I am after getting it done myself as you all know it doesn't come as standard spec. on this model. Wouldn't consider doing it myself, so can anyone recommend a local garage that does it in my area ?

Guest Snowy3
Was it you who knocked the gate down!! :P

LOL!!! Hoovie doesnt miss a thing!

Big Red is a nice looking beast - how much was the tinting with the company you mentioned Nightstalker?

Hoovster - is 'Toad' that horrid silver stuff that vans have? i wanted black as it will go nicely on Snowys windows and its more so people can't easily see in my boot space than being worried about being smashed. i dont leave anything valuable in there (i live in Nottingham....c'mon....a friend's car was broken in for a lighter!!! yes a lighter!).

Bothy - you are always full of useful advice! :P

I had a look at the toad website and they don't mention it anymore - I remember reading about it a long long time ago (and was thinking of normal tinted but a bit stronger).

talking of stupid and pointless car breakins, I had a Vauxhall cavalier broken into - had to get a replacement radio on-off switch !!!!!

http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/supaglass.php is a link to the pentagon security glass. I think all of these tints give a little extra security anyway as if a glass panel is smashed, they do keep the glass together - a little bit like laminated glass

http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/window-ti...ls-and-families - general site.

As a RAV4 driver, you'll have to go to the "Celebrities & VIPs" section ;)

Bezzer found a good place in Stoke who will do it while you wait.

The only reason I didn't have it done was becuase in talking to him he forbid me from stripping the rear doors - he insisted I went shopping.

Its my RAV and I'll say who strips the chuffing doors!

I can be as belligerent as he can!!!

From memory though it was about £200 and there was no doubt he did a good job.

I have had a few toyotas, RAV4/LANDCRUISERS/AVENSIS and all have been tinted and not one has had its door dismantled to tint the only bits removed has been the rubber inserts around the widows inside.

so they strip down the doors for what reason? take the film right to the edge?

Talked to a firm here in Warrington just over a year ago about window tints. He said then, that to get first class, edge-to-edge results (and he only did first class work - his words :P ) you had to take the windows out! :eek:

Well, there are seven pieces of glass behind the B post on the 4.3 and I didn't fancy so many trim pieces being disturbed, so I left the idea well alone. :thumbsup:

my HR-V had aftermarke tinted glass - very nicely done it was (before I bought it) and I could not see any gaps anywhere. I suspect that was done by Pentagon Reading actually as the previous owner lived in Reading and I bought it in Reading

Lo all... :D

Think if my alzeimers :huh: aint already kicked in yet the tint job was around the £395 range... I had to leave me Rav with Pentagon for a day and they dont take the door panels apart - I think that only gets done if you go for the supa glass tint which is the " you keep on knocking but you cant come in" Tint... ;)

I didnt bother with that as it is a tad more expensive and if anyone breaks into big red they'd just be dissapointed as there is nothing in there of any value to some scummy teenager who's trying to fund his drug habit.... :angry:

Regards

Rob

B)

As Bothy would say - Aye well..........

If I had mine tinted I would insist that the rear windows came out. In this way they can eliminate the risk of gaps and the film sits nicely behind the seals. I spoke to the guy and he said he always took them out. He also did the tinting for the local Audi garage. He was quite a nice guy but it all went wrong when he told me I wasn't allowed to work on my own car!!!

I found a nice piccy of bezzers car here in post No4. There is also a very familiar but untinted one lurking further down!

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...c=78075&hl=

Phone No 01782 326880

Must admit, I still am not keen on that heavy contrast between front and rear glass (just my own opinion). It would look great with a tint to the front side as well like Big Red.

With the seals out, would they not be able to slide an appropriate tool down the door side to take the film edge-to edge?

To get the seals out you have to take the glass out.

There's a hole in my bucket dear Lisa dear Lisa................

There's a hole in my bucket dear Lisa dear Lisa................

Haven't heard that song for ages! :lol::lol::lol:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links