Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Removing The Soft Top

ncandy

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of trouble with my recently bought MR2

The previous owner hasn't taken particularly good care of it and there is mildew aplenty behind the storage bins and under the parcel shelf,

So in order to clean this properly without having to bend myself into some very akward shapes I'd like to remove the hood completely (which means I can also give this a damn good clean below the seal lines).

Does anybody know how this is done?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick

I hear refitting a soft top to fit properly is a real bu$$er in the MR2,so personally I would avoid removing it.I would do a few stretching exercises and get ready to contort in some very strange positions!

I could be wrong,so see if anyone else knows different.

I don't know where the problem is,but it may be easier to remove some of the plastic trim around the soft top/rear bins.Even removing the seats can provide invaluable room to get close up and personal to the areas behind the seats.

Worth checking to see if the drainage holes have become clogged.This is not uncommon in the 2,and will result in water sloshing around the rear bin compartment and dampness problems.

Hi...Giddlepin(Les) ...... is the man to ask..he quite often puts fotos up as well,,he will see this post and reply ,,he knows evryfin xx

Thanks,

I think contortion is the way forward, the first thing I did when I got the car was to unblock the drains, but have since found that they had clearly been blocked for a very long time, as when I romoved the sub from the drivers side storage bin the whole bottom was covered in mould and warped beyond belief....

Just don't understand why people don't look after their cars properly!

The roof is a pig of a job to remove, don't even attempt it without a Physics degree!

Kingo :thumbsup:

The roof is a pig of a job to remove, don't even attempt it without a Physics degree!

Kingo :thumbsup:

Seconded :yes:

and you would need a Physics degree first class with honors to re-fit :eek:

Ha ha, well I only have a physics BSc so I'll give it a miss,

It's great isn't it, you buy a car cause you like it and then spend weeks trying to change bits of it, I'm stuck as to what to do, I certainly don't want to go over the top but I'd love to lower it buy an inch or so, get the hard top and replace the seats and I guess the exhaust but have no real idea where to begin!

Cheers all for the advice so far!

N.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links