Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch/gearbox Problems

Katsy

I recently bought an 02 Yaris with approximately 25,000 miles on it (My first car!), and i am experiencing some trouble with the clutch and/or gearbox on the car. Initially, when trying to shift into lower gear when slowing down, i found it impossible to do. Just could not engage first or second gear, would only work after a few tries. Returned the car to the dealership to repair it, supposedly the clutch was replaced. Car came back, clutch was now squeaking, gears were still rough and clutch started sticking down when i changed gear, only very intermittently though. Took the car back again, gearbox was drained and was told there is nothing wrong with the clutch. I have since had the car back a few weeks and it's still not right. :(

Has anyone come across anything similar in their Yaris? Any advice for me? I would be very grateful if anyone had any input in this situation!

I recently bought an 02 Yaris with approximately 25,000 miles on it (My first car!), and i am experiencing some trouble with the clutch and/or gearbox on the car. Initially, when trying to shift into lower gear when slowing down, i found it impossible to do. Just could not engage first or second gear, would only work after a few tries. Returned the car to the dealership to repair it, supposedly the clutch was replaced. Car came back, clutch was now squeaking, gears were still rough and clutch started sticking down when i changed gear, only very intermittently though. Took the car back again, gearbox was drained and was told there is nothing wrong with the clutch. I have since had the car back a few weeks and it's still not right. :(

Has anyone come across anything similar in their Yaris? Any advice for me? I would be very grateful if anyone had any input in this situation!

these yaris's have problems with the clutch pivot squeaking when clutch pedal is depressed but its nore of an annonynace than a problem, also the gearboxes have shift detent mechanisms to stop people from shifting down into low gears at high speeds, that is probably why you cant shift down when slowing down. the detents will only let you shift into second and first when travelling roughly 20-25 mph.

these yaris's have problems with the clutch pivot squeaking when clutch pedal is depressed but its nore of an annonynace than a problem, also the gearboxes have shift detent mechanisms to stop people from shifting down into low gears at high speeds, that is probably why you cant shift down when slowing down. the detents will only let you shift into second and first when travelling roughly 20-25 mph.

Thanks for the reply, fair enough about the squeaking, but i wasn't too worried about that. It's more of the clutch sticking that unnerves me. Also, when the gears wouldn't shift down, i had slowed to near crawling along anyway, so definitely below the speed you mentioned.

[if the clutch is sticking down and squealing that suggests it has been incorrectly assembled : probably not centrallised properly. Are the garage a Toyota one?

Centralising a clutch is basic: even I can do it correctly. :-)

1st = 5MPH or less

2nd = 56MPH or less

Not sure on the other gears...

But shifting from 3rd to second at 50 will probably **** your engine / gearbox up regardless of the car

The car was sent to a Toyota garage to have the work done. Madasafish

Thanks for the reply crazyman50000, i can safely say i was not travelling anywhere near 50 when trying to shift down to second gear.

[if the clutch is sticking down and squealing that suggests it has been incorrectly assembled : probably not centrallised properly. Are the garage a Toyota one?

If the clutch isnt centred when refitting - IT WONT FIT!

Also when the pedal is depressed the clutch is only on the input shaft therefore it cant move anywhere to be off centre.

I doubt it has anything to do with that :)

Check that your clutch pedal isnt getting caught on your floor mats too.

Mart.

If the clutch isnt centred when refitting - IT WONT FIT!

Also when the pedal is depressed the clutch is only on the input shaft therefore it cant move anywhere to be off centre.

I doubt it has anything to do with that :)

Check that your clutch pedal isnt getting caught on your floor mats too.

Mart.

Have removed the mat, as that was what was originally suggested was causing the problem, which i accepted as a valid reason until it happened again! :unsure:

Katsy,

your gear problems sounds exactly like my old tsport, 2nd gear was a nightmare & 1st was difficult too.

i fixed mine with the help from a Toyota techy on this site,

my gear problems started at around 20k i fixed it and it was still running smooth at 28k when i sold it.

i would say the first thing to do would be change the gear oil, the dealer has told you they did that so,

the 2nd one is the Toyota fix what a member called pinkbits posted on here.

While i was doing the fix i added some ZX1 [ friction elemenator ] to the gear oil.

heres the fix GEAR FIX - IT WORKS

i used 2 washers and it was alot better after around a week i thought i would try another washer, that was perfect.

Hope it helps you too.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links