Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Problem?

sadsnapper

Hi all. Need a bit of advice. Just bought Rav4 2.2 D4D 2006 29000miles from Toyota dealer. Very happy with the vehicle but have been slightly concerned with with gear changes between 1st and 2nd. I have browsed the forum and noted this is common with the 6 speed box. My main concern is that when slowing down in 2nd gear and I let the clutch in, there is a slight metal clunk sound, (backlash?) it also happens in third but to a lessor degree. I have taken the vehicle to a dealer and after a short test drive the mechanic said it might be the DMF, although reading the symptons of DMF problems on the forums it did'nt seem like it was the same . Anyway the flywheel and clutch was replaced (under warrantee) but on collecting the car the problem was not resolved and the slight clunk was still there. So before I start the process again with the dealer, and end up with the car in bits on the garage floor, I thought I'll give the give the forum a try for any insight or nuggets of wisdom that might point to the problem, if indeed there is one. Thanks.

Hmm. sounds like one for our top techy Anchorman. If you wait till later he will probably be on and may be able to advise.

Clunky gearbox seems to be common with the diesels.

Going from 1st to 2nd is clunky - I find pushing the clutch pedal very firmly to the floor and shifting up slowly with a slight push of the gear stick over to the left works best.

3rd to 2nd has also recently become problematic. It used to be okay but occasionally I now lose the feel of slotting into 2nd - it goes in but the "feedback" isn't there and I become unsure whether it's in, so I end up retrying. It's caught me out a few times on roundabouts where I end up stopping or stalling. Stalling is fun too - you can feel the gearbox violently trying to jump up through the floor.

The RAV4 is fantastic, and 2nd gear is the only real problem I have with it (RFT punctures excluded). Worse gearbox since an old 1980s Land Rover Defender I used to have to drive.

If I had a quid!................

Just have a look through these..................

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...hl=countershaft

I would try to resist having any more work done unless you are absolutely convinced that something is wrong as each time it gets pulled down big time there is scope for it not going back like the day it was built. Try to drive another to see how that feels but I can tell you mine is quite capable of repeating all the symptoms you describe. I believe your gearbox is normal and urge you to try not to think about it too much.

Stalling the 2.2 is quite entertaining (if not spine chilling) as this high output common rail diesel objects strongly to being stopped in its tracks. It gets to the point where you stop it from turning as it wants to and shows you its objection by "punching" the piston back the way it came. It goes with a real bang doesn't it??!!! It also kicks all the backlash in the box backwards - like kicking a football in temper........ come on you've all done it.

For info you can virtually eliminate the propensity to stall by using high grade diesel instead of supermarket weasel pee.

I hope the posts make you feel better mate.

Clunky gearbox seems to be common with the diesels.

Going from 1st to 2nd is clunky

:crybaby: Agreed!

Stalling the 2.2 is quite entertaining

Stalling? :unsure:

Even light footed Miss Daisy using Morrison's best diesel doesn't do that! :lol::lol:

Even light footed Miss Daisy using Morrison's best diesel doesn't do that! :lol::lol:

Don't you mean Morrison's weasel pee :D (I love that expresssion - thanks AM :thumbsup: )

Been there, done this and love the gearbox now!

Change to Redline MT90 oil in the gearbox and it will be much smoother.

Don't you mean Morrison's weasel pee :D (I love that expresssion - thanks AM :thumbsup: )

Weasel pee has got to be better than Bee pee! :lol::lol::lol:

Been there, done this and love the gearbox now!

Change to Redline MT90 oil in the gearbox and it will be much smoother.

We have to be very careful Dutchrav although I appreciate your advice. These gearboxes will not run on a 90 grade oil as you cannot get 1st and 2nd gear when the gearbox is cold. The triple syncros just foul up on each other.

The other issue is that all of these vehicles are still under warranty and if one is dmamged in any way and is found not to have the recommended 75W GL5 oil in it then the warranty will be turned down and I dread to think what a new box plus fitting would be - £1000's no doubt.

If owners want to experiment out of warranty they can take their chance but I would advise caution and consideration.

On the other hand Redline is no doubt very suitable for a 4.2 with 5 speed transmission.

Regards

I would try to resist having any more work done unless you are absolutely convinced that something is wrong as each time it gets pulled down big time there is scope for it not going back like the day it was built. Try to drive another to see how that feels but I can tell you mine is quite capable of repeating all the symptoms you describe. I believe your gearbox is normal and urge you to try not to think about it too much.

Stalling the 2.2 is quite entertaining (if not spine chilling) as this high output common rail diesel objects strongly to being stopped in its tracks. It gets to the point where you stop it from turning as it wants to and shows you its objection by "punching" the piston back the way it came. It goes with a real bang doesn't it??!!! It also kicks all the backlash in the box backwards - like kicking a football in temper........ come on you've all done it.

For info you can virtually eliminate the propensity to stall by using high grade diesel instead of supermarket weasel pee.

Thanks for that anchorman . Can I come and drive yours? I'll bring the kid,s, the three dogs and my incontinent mother in law just to see if they think your Rav is any better in the back than mine. If it isn't convenient I guess I'll go back to the dealer and try one of theirs.

Thanks ever so.

Thanks for that anchorman . Can I come and drive yours? I'll bring the kid,s, the three dogs and my incontinent mother in law just to see if they think your Rav is any better in the back than mine. If it isn't convenient I guess I'll go back to the dealer and try one of theirs.

Thanks ever so.

That's gratitude :D

Dealer one might be best!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links