Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Engine Modifications

xXxAygo_FastaxXx

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to try and mod y lil aygo's engine, but I'm the only one around here I know that drives an aygo and so I've not really got a lot of info of help here.

Can u help with makes of filters etc I can use in my car and any other things that can be done 2 my wee powerhouse.

cheers :)

You could start with an K&N panel filter.

K&N part.no. 33-2131

Product Specifications

- Product Style: Panel Air Filter

- Height: 0.813 in (21 mm)

- Outside Length: 10.125 in (257 mm)

- Outside Width: 4.563 in (116 mm)

- Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.44 oz (13 ml

- Weight: 0.6 lb (0.3 kg

- Product Box Length: 13.5 in (343 mm)

- Product Box Width: 7.75 in (197 mm)

- Product Box Height: 1.75 in (44 mm)

33-2131.jpg

would I notice any difference changing the panel filter??

what would the benefit be?

Thanx

The benefit would be: the engine will breather easier and cleaner air. Theoretically, some hp increase, 1-2. REFZ can't answer your question, because he has a cold air intake mounted, this is the panel filter :)

Does anyone else have the panel filter installed? Any performance improvement?

Well there is lots of things you can do, I think the most performace output tho would be to add the supercharger from TTS, for a mere £3,400!! double your horsepower!

dont forget if your within your 3 years tho it will invalidate your warranty.

SJx

The benefit would be: the engine will breather easier and cleaner air.

I think you might find the flow will be higher but the filtration will not be as good.

Paul.

You should not expect large improvements from little modifications to the engine of the CityBug.

The only way to really improve the engine is to invest some serious cash.

Buy a supercharger or a turbo and pump up those BHP's.

But in my opinion the CityBug is not build for that without some extra serious improvements.

Well speaking form a personal point of view, i've fitted the Blitz LM Panel Filter from Envy Performance (via eBay) and i definately notice a difference with engine/in-gear FLEXIBILITY

You don't have to shift down all the time, you can just leave it in gear and away you go... Probably not as good sounding as a K&N induction kit however if you're keen enough just make one...

I don't know if this is a personal opinion however if i bolted that TTS Supercharger @ £3400 +VAT (Which totals £3995 Inc VAT) onto the car i'd want to uprate the internals (pistons, conrods etc) just to be on the safe side...

Or if you want to contact Hayward & Scott in Essex as they created the 3 branch manifold, sports cat and centre exit custom exhaust on Banzai magazine's Supercharged Aygo - looked to be of good quality!

Yea, I keep hearing about the supercharger. So, I e-mailed TTS with a bunch of questions. They replyed with: Is the aygo yours?. I answered YES. And.. that's all I got out of them. They heven't replyed since. + I remember 'AYGO VVTI' once said that the supercharger can't fit with the A/C. That's why he was turbo modding. SO, I rather keep my A/C, and for 4000 punds I can get a mint Honda CRX with 160 HP! So, I state my opinion again. The supercharger is OVERPRICED.

overpriced maybe, but it is a relativly new thing for an aygo... the car has only been in production for the last 4 years!

id love to have a 130bhp aygo in all fairness... small car + lots of bhp = LOTS more smiles!

for 4000 punds I can get a mint Honda CRX with 160 HP!

Great little car from the 80s. Try finding one without rust :(

Has anybody looked to see if the k3-vet Daihatsu engine will fit in the Aygo? 140bhp turbo as stock from a 1.3-litre?

Paul.

I AM??? :unsure:

yes you are!!

:lol: wtf you on about?

If you cant afford £4k text aygo to some number or other win the banzai s/c one!!! thats my plan, although i may have spent £4k on texts :unsure:

I'm over the super 'modding' the engine. I'll flash tune it tho, it's way cheaper. 77-79 hp is ok for the aygo. In the meanwhile,

I'll start saving and maybe in about three years, I can afford a second hand Honda S2000 to drive weekends ~14K euros. I will keep the aygo for its low consumption and looks :) Well, at least I hope this will happen (the S2000 :D )

I'm over the super 'modding' the engine. I'll flash tune it tho, it's way cheaper. 77-79 hp is ok for the aygo. In the meanwhile,

I'll start saving and maybe in about three years, I can afford a second hand Honda S2000 to drive weekends ~14K euros. I will keep the aygo for its low consumption and looks :) Well, at least I hope this will happen (the S2000 :D )

Thats the very car i wanna get next...we have a common taste in cars...keep us informed!!

The only benefit from K&N filter will be that you have the air filtered better (if you keep the filter clean) so in theory it should be better for the engine. It doesn't give your engine more air.

I don't expect any bhp increase from 1.0 engine. In Astra SXI Mk4 1.6 16V + de-restricted airbox + larger intake pipe there was hardly any increase (0-1bhp). Exhaust system was the bit which gave a few bhp extra.

• 2 months later...
The only benefit from K&N filter will be that you have the air filtered better (if you keep the filter clean) so in theory it should be better for the engine. It doesn't give your engine more air.

I don't expect any bhp increase from 1.0 engine. In Astra SXI Mk4 1.6 16V + de-restricted airbox + larger intake pipe there was hardly any increase (0-1bhp). Exhaust system was the bit which gave a few bhp extra.

I have a full exhaust to my Aygo (manifold 3-1, 48mm pipe, free flow metalic cat and semi-free final) without free air filter and without ecu modification and i sow 9 Bhp +!!! and it goes like Hell!! I will post photos shortly.

If I were on a budget and wanted more performance with little outlay, this is the order I would choose;

-KN air filter

- Iridium spark plugs,

- 0w30 engine oil,

- 3-2-1 exhaust manifold,

- Lowering springs,

- wider alloys and tyres,

The Aygo's other components aren't really designed for a huge increase in power or torque . If I wanted performance that badly , I would sell the Aygo and get a Skoda Fabia VRS. Supercharging an Aygo is like being a single parent: u can do it, but it's difficult to recommend once you realise what it will cost.

personal i dont think there is much point touching the engine, cause you won't get much out of it for your money, i think money would be best spent on handling, anti roll bars front and rear, uprated springs and shocks and a decent drivers seat, your get more driveablity and feel for your money.

Supercharge and standard Aygo and you'll blow the gearbox apart! The brakes wont be up to it, and how much worse would the already appaulling understeer be with that much power? The Aygo is fun to drive that doesn't mean it handles well enough to become a hot hatch without extensive suspension and brake upgrades.

My advise: if you want performance buy a car that is designed to go fast rather than fiddle with a cheap little run around like this and mess everything up including your bank balance!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links